• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to join USB input + optical SPDIF input to the same output in a RME ADI-2 DAC ?

Dedicado

Hello, I'm in dire need to join both a USB input (computer) and a SPDIF input (Blu-ray player) in a RME ADI-2 DAC, in order to get it mixed to the headphones output

I've read the manual inside out, and I think it is not natively possible in this hardware, I would require additional hardware to get it pre-mixed, before reaching the ADI-2 DAC

The sound field terminology (opamp, amp, preamp etc...) still sounds exotic and unknown to me as a computer guy, so I'm not able to know which hardware do I need, if there is in fact a hardware solution altogether.

Thank you

Oklei

Forum Donor
I don't think there is consumer gear that can do this. If you're mixing spdif only you can do it with pro gear like this
https://www.canford.de/Products/95-...audio-4x4-matrix-AES-S-PDIF-Toslink-in-out-1U
For your problem the easiest solution would be to record the spdif from the bluray with a soundcard into your computer mix it there with pc sound and send the mixed stream via USB to the rme.

Or ofc use analog out of bluray player and PC, mix it analog and feed it via an ADC to the rme

Last edited:

JG2020

RME Fireface UCX with TotalMix would be a very flexible solution but at a cost.

OP
D

Dedicado

Thank you

I have an internal PCI-E Sound Blaster AE-5 but the optical SPDIF is OUT only, I'm going to check if there is a PCI-E card for IN without the full blown sound card capabilites.

As far as I know, all inputs in the ADI-2 DAC are digital, the RCAs and 3.5 are all outputs

Sadly >1000 € mixing hardware is way overkill for my use case, the ADI-2 DAC was already 1000 and broke my bank.

Thank you again

Last edited:

Oklei

Forum Donor
Last edited:

Aldoszx

Sadly >1000 € mixing hardware is way overkill for my use case, the ADI-2 DAC was already 1000 and broke my bank.

Unfortunately, ADI-2 DAC is not a mixing hardware. It is only a DAC. For mixing capabilities, ADI-2 PRO would do the job or any other pro gear like Focusrite Scarlett/Clarett, MOTU M2/M4.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
ADI-2 DAC supports recording the optical input, so you can mix digitally at the host computer, if sample rates are the same.

xthechar

Unfortunately, ADI-2 DAC is not a mixing hardware. It is only a DAC. For mixing capabilities, ADI-2 PRO would do the job or any other pro gear like Focusrite Scarlett/Clarett, MOTU M2/M4.

My understanding is that the Pro also doesn't do any mixing. You can send the USB to one output and the S/PDIF to the other output at the same time, but you can't send them both to the same output. If you could, it'd be a holy grail product for me!

Aldoszx

Maybe I am wrong, because I do not have a RME unit.
I am just doing an analogy with my Clarett 2Pre which has mixing capabilities via it’s software control center.
I’ve thought that RME also could do that, being in the same class.
Maybe you can use a DAW software.

Last edited:
Top Bottom