• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio Q5s Portable DAC & THX Headphone Amp Review

Asylum Seeker

OK. So let's take the Apple adapter as representing good quality smartphone audio (and better than many other devices regardless of cost). Any iPhone has the same quality, either through the headphone socket (older models) or with the Lightning version of this adapter. Other phones can use the USB-C version (or other similar low cost devices). The issue then becomes power, and I can see a need for that with power-hungry phones, but it seems to me that a better solution is more efficient phones or IEMs. If that's not an option, you only need a good portable amp. On top of all this we have the issue of ambient noise. Just how much quality is required in a portable device?
What ambient Noise? I want as much quality as I can get since my mobile platform is my only platform which I use, in and out of the home. I own no desktop, wall-tethered, AC-powered audio devices. These mobile Riggs are not so much for listening to music while riding the bus but for when you get to your destination.

Asylum Seeker

Fiio Q1mk11 with balanced cables. Comes to same price as nx4 with slightly better measurements and is Apple certified.
I don't know about that...the Topping is also $12 cheaper here...

Screenshot_20200806_080938.jpg

Last edited:

Tircuit

Forum Donor
I don't know about that...the Topping is also $12 cheaper here...

View attachment 76801

The of the NX4 price is more than the Fiio+balanced cables on Amazon.

Amir’s comparison wasn’t fair really: Amir did not test the Fiio’s balanced ability! Balanced power on the Q1mk2 is way higher and what it’s designed for. A big omission in testing.

I use the Fiio for my 400i headphones and there’s plenty of power. The non-balanced feature is admittedly low powered and even lower than on their mk1 version! So this device is really made for balanced connections. (Balanced doesn’t normally improve quality, but it can boost power, and does here.)

A fairer comparison -- especially if using inefficient headphones - - would be to measure NX4’s high gain vs FIIO’s balanced and this is where I get my claim that the Fiio probably measures better. Amir found that the NX4 measured worse in high gain mode:

1596686363353.png

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

Amir’s comparison wasn’t fair really: Amir did not test the Fiio’s balanced ability! Balanced power is way higher and what it’s designed for. I use it for my 400i headphones and there’s plenty of power. The non-balanced feature is admittedly low powered and even lower than then the Q1 mk1! So this device is really made for balanced connections. (Balanced doesn’t normally improve quality, but it can boost power, and does here.)

A fairer comparison -- especially if using inefficient headphones - - would be to measure NX4’s high gain vs FIIO’s balanced and this is where I get my claim that the Fiio probably measures better:

View attachment 76820
I don't see anything 'unfair' about the testing. Apples to Apples would be SE vs. SE, which is exactly what the tests entailed. And in those tests, the Fiio lagged behithe thr

Amir’s comparison wasn’t fair really: Amir did not test the Fiio’s balanced ability! Balanced power is way higher and what it’s designed for. I use it for my 400i headphones and there’s plenty of power. The non-balanced feature is admittedly low powered and even lower than then the Q1 mk1! So this device is really made for balanced connections. (Balanced doesn’t normally improve quality, but it can boost power, and does here.)

A fairer comparison -- especially if using inefficient headphones - - would be to measure NX4’s high gain vs FIIO’s balanced and this is where I get my claim that the Fiio probably measures better:

I don't see anything 'unfair' about the testing. Apples to Apples would be SE vs. SE, which is exactly what the tests entailed. And in those tests, the Fiio lagged behind the Topping. You can put a spin on it and shift the goal posts, but the data results are the data results.

In Asia, a Topping NX4 DSD sells for under $110.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
I don't see anything 'unfair' about the testing. Apples to Apples would be SE vs. SE, which is exactly what the tests entailed. And in those tests, the Fiio lagged behithe thr

I don't see anything 'unfair' about the testing. Apples to Apples would be SE vs. SE, which is exactly what the tests entailed. And in those tests, the Fiio lagged behind the Topping. You can put a spin on it and shift the goal posts, but the data results are the data results.

Agree to disagree. It’s clear the Fiio using balanced is cheaper and measures better. You can buy whichever you prefer.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
Agree to disagree. It’s clear the Fiio using balanced is cheaper and measures better. You can buy whichever you prefer.

Also, I remember that Amir did in fact go back and measure balanced and found it had double the power:

1596687818611.png

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well. If you want balanced then good for you. The thing is Nx4 outputs 5V cleanly in SE where Q1mkii can only output 3V with balanced. Nx4 also wins by a large margin in normal listening level. So unless you really need the balanced output just for the sake of using it, nx4 is obviously better.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
Well. If you want balanced then good for you. The thing is Nx4 outputs 5V cleanly in SE where Q1mkii can only output 3V with balanced. Nx4 also wins by a large margin in normal listening level. So unless you really need the balanced output just for the sake of using it, nx4 is obviously better.

89 vs 69 THD+N Is nothing to sneeze at even if you don’t hear it. That’s why we’re here, right?

Measures better, costs less in the US, is Apple certified, has enough power for the 400i. Like I said, I made my choice and am happy with it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
89 vs 69 THD+N Is nothing to sneeze at even you don’t hear it. That’s why we’re here, right?

Measures better, costs less in the US, is Apple certified, has enough power for the 400i. Like I said, I made my choice and am happy with it.
Yeah. No one is gonna take that away from it. If performance is nothing to worry about. Why you made post talking about NX4 may have worse performance at max volume? We are not arguing for you to buy one or another. You don't need our approval to justify your purchase and your enjoyment.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
Yeah. No one is gonna take that away from it. If performance is nothing to worry about. Why you made post talking about NX4 may have worse performance at max volume? We are not arguing for you to buy one or another. You don't need our approval to justify your purchase and your enjoyment.

Someone asked for recommendations to drive inefficient headphones and I gave mine as an alternative to the NX4. It’s a good product and should be considered if looking for a portable dac/amp.

If you work for Topping, I didn’t mean to offend you. I have and enjoy a Topping D30 myself!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I wasn’t even talking to you. View attachment 76822Someone asked for rec for inefficient speakers and I gave my opinion.

Someone asked for recommendations to drive inefficient headphones and I gave mine as an alternative to the NX4. It’s a good product and should be considered if looking for a portable dac/amp.

If you work for Topping, I didn’t mean to offend you. I have and enjoy a Topping D30 myself!
Don't take it the wrong way. I was simply stating that Nx4 had more power in SE than Q1mkii in BAL mode and is cleaner overall. BAL itself doesn't make things better automatically. Yes, it's a valid option for balanced. Enjoy.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
Don't take it the wrong way. I was simply stating that Nx4 had more power in SE than Q1mkii in BAL mode and is cleaner overall. BAL itself doesn't make things better automatically. Yes, it's a valid option for balanced. Enjoy.

No worries.

I’m not sure measurements bear out that statement that the NX4 is “cleaner over all”. In fact 89 vs 69 THD+N indicates otherwise. But I agree the NX4 has more power. EDIT : JohnYang’s NX4 at its best numbers below are impressive and deserve a second look.

Either product will suit the 400i.

Last edited:

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
In this case, I would say older models like the Mojo (and its fair to think that it is the older ones of these that are generally for sale) are a much riskier bet than something like a newer FiiO offering (they seem to update every year or so). And, yeah, phones are an excellent analogy. They are made to be disposable. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a 5 year old used phone. Imagine the battery life on that sucker.
I would say that phones are a pretty poor analogy: phones are glued together making them very difficult to take apart to replace the battery. The mojo is just held together with 6 screws, so it's easy to take apart. An older phone will also no longer be receiving sw updates, making it a security risk. With a device like the mojo, there's no sw to update, so it will continue to work pretty much as long as usb is supported. Having said that, I wouldn't buy an old one because you can find quite new ones for sale and there doesn't seem to be much difference in price.

Veri

Master Contributor
In this case, I would say older models like the Mojo (and its fair to think that it is the older ones of these that are generally for sale) are a much riskier bet than something like a newer FiiO offering (they seem to update every year or so). And, yeah, phones are an excellent analogy. They are made to be disposable. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a 5 year old used phone. Imagine the battery life on that sucker.
The mojo battery needs to get a "repair" at the reseller at a hefty servicing fee, which makes the value of a used unit that much worse.
Some creative people (1, 2) work around the battery though to make it into a desktop device.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
What ambient Noise? I want as much quality as I can get since my mobile platform is my only platform which I use, in and out of the home. I own no desktop, wall-tethered, AC-powered audio devices. These mobile Riggs are not so much for listening to music while riding the bus but for when you get to your destination.
OK then. Not the usual usage for portable gear, which would be when walking/on the bus/plane/train.

Last edited:

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
I am considering the Topping NX4 now instead of the Q5s. My only complaint would be the channel imbalance at low volumes as tested by Amir, because both the Q1 and Q5s have perfect channel balance. Also the frequency response is not as flat as the Q1. I’ll probably just have to try it for myself, it’s most likely inaudible.

Veri

Master Contributor
I am considering the Topping NX4 now instead of the Q5s. My only complaint would be the channel imbalance at low volumes as tested by Amir, because both the Q1 and Q5s have perfect channel balance. Also the frequency response is not as flat as the Q1. I’ll probably just have to try it for myself, it’s most likely inaudible.
Can always compensate with digital volume control to get better channel tracking. 82% volume in Windows is -3dB, for example.

Asylum Seeker

I am not hearing any channel imbalance on IEMs at my normal listening level of around 11 o'clock on Low Gain.

Top Bottom