• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367 Review (was M2 'review')

fas42

Major Contributor
The subjective experience for that reviewer, of the 4367, expresses precisely how competent sound comes across - the key foundations for making it happen are efficient, well sorted speakers and sufficient, accurate amplifier power - the latter provided either by using a conventional, vastly over powered amplifier, or one of the "right" size which has been well engineered.

fas42

Major Contributor
I can dig a metaphor as much as the next guy, but in that last sentence, he seems to almost take himself seriously, and even points to a result of this "process." Like, as a result of having a herd of unicorns in my back yard, my grass is fertilized with rainbow poop? "More natural sound/less resolving?" And JBL 2-way horns are like Harbeths? How's that work?

These guys just make this stuff up, huh?

Tim
Tim, I get what he means ... I've heard the "ultra resolving" systems - these are like cars with the suspensions welded to the bottom of the cars, you can feel it if the car happens to run over a worm on the road - might be mighty exciting stuff for a while ... but I wouldn't call it music ...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Tim, I agree with you ↑

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Some nice graphs would have been far more eloquent, but that is not what the market demands.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Tim, I get what he means ... I've heard the "ultra resolving" systems - these are like cars with the suspensions welded to the bottom of the cars, you can feel it if the car happens to run over a worm on the road - might be mighty exciting stuff for a while ... but I wouldn't call it music ...
How do they make them more or less resolving would you say?
Keith

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I'm glad he like them, because they probably eat most audiophile speakers for breakfast, but I can't say I have a ton of faith in any reviewer who summarizes with such nonsense:

"Summary
The way many top class loudspeakers shape sound might be compared to milling a particular shape from a large block of, say, aluminum. JBL, Harbeth, but also Audiomachina achieve similar final results but using different means – the sound is rather extruded than milled. While milling, layer after layer is taken off while getting the final shape. Extruding means filling in the space that represents instruments. This process delivers more natural sound that one could really feel and not just hear. But at the same time it means that sound is not as resolving."

I can dig a metaphor as much as the next guy, but in that last sentence, he seems to almost take himself seriously, and even points to a result of this "process." Like, as a result of having a herd of unicorns in my back yard, my grass is fertilized with rainbow poop? "More natural sound/less resolving?" And JBL 2-way horns are like Harbeths? How's that work?

These guys just make this stuff up, huh?

Tim

Tim, I agree with you. ...And not just from his summary; there are other lines in his review that are "illuminating".

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
if you open your eyes and look round the back of this guy's system, most of you would dismiss this guy as a audiophile nut job without having to read the 'review'.. but its ok this time because he likes the crap looking pro studio JBL's that are suitably 'anti hifi' .

keith should be ashamed of himself:D how desperate are you to get promotion for these JBL that you post a review by a bloke that is the polar opposite of everything you believe in within the sphere of hi fi.

the bloke has no credibility by all of your own definitions so why are any of you even reading this review?

Last edited:

TBone

Major Contributor
if you brave enough to peep behind, Bob, beware aliens vs predator ...

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
if you open your eyes and look round the back of this guy's system, most of you would dismiss this guy as a audiophile nut job without having to read the 'review'.. but its ok this time because he likes the crap looking pro studio JBL's that are suitably 'anti hifi' .

keith should be ashamed of himself:D how desperate are you to get promotion for these JBL that you post a review by a bloke that is the polar opposite of everything you believe in within the sphere of hi fi.

the bloke has no credibility by all of your own definitions so why are any of you even reading this review?
I couldn't find a review by a bloke like me, don't worry when mine arrive I will take a photograph of their derrière !
Keith.

fas42

Major Contributor
How do they make them more or less resolving would you say?
Keith
The more "resolving" actually have a patina of distortion associated with them, that draws your attention to, and emphasises all sorts of minor, extraneous sounds - you're almost forced to be aware of these "defects", they can become more important than the music itself, to your hearing.

In real life that is not how it works ... you can listen to an acoustic performance with tremendously high levels of background noise, and not notice the latter - the music lives in its own "space", and you can easily choose to also live in that space for a while. Less competent systems make it much harder for the listeners to do this, and "reward" them by giving them "lots of detail", if that's what turns them on ...

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
So how do the manufacturers who make 'more resolving'loudpeakers add that distortion?
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
i guess you're all paid up subscribers to 'Hypocrisy monthly' :eek: good to know:cool:

oh apart from Tim;)
Ass licker.
Is that a copy of the good book under the Spec thing?
I am surprised Tony hasn't sold you a pair!
Keith

NorthSky

Major Contributor
If she lays flat and offers much dynamic capability, colour me blue ...

"As many albums produced today also in this one one shall find a slight emphasis in the lower midrange. This makes sound richer but the differentiation of this part of the range is not particularly great. Wymann's voice features some sibilants that seem to separate from his vocal, although they are not too bright or too disturbing. It's a very powerful, energetic, highly enjoyable blues-rock album that was also nicely produced. There is good frequency range extension which results in a very good bass and treble without any hints of a roll-off. But to be perfectly honest treble is not particularly open, nor selective. Soundstage is not very deep – most events happen in the front of the stage and right behind it. Album delivers palpable performance with warm leading vocal and supporting ones. Guitars are particularly well recorded – they have their depth and are nicely differentiated. One sonic signature of guitar amplifiers used during the session.

It's this type of music and recording that keeps you involved, energized – most will come back to this album many, many times having a great time listening to it. Even more so considering that the pressing is also very good with a low vinyl noise and very few pops&cracks."

♪ I listened to the music samples (first 30 seconds from each track - it is not avail on Spotify, so I had to content myself from my prior link provided - www.allmusic.com), and ... I will abort the idea of acquiring the CD. But that's just me.

I also look @ the music selections from this reviewer; 50/50 between love and hate on a thin line, tight rope.
...Again, that's me, but Rachel and John on SACD, ya baby! ...And Jim Hall on CD.

ii
odsluch_ev.png

Recordings used for this test:

• The TBM Sounds!, Lasting Impression Music LIM UHD 048LE, "Limited Edition", CD (2010)
  • Anita Lipnicka, Vena Amoris, Mystic Production MYSTCD 244, CD (2013)
  • Brian Eno, Another Green World, Island Records/Toshiba-EMI VJCP-68658, CD (1975/2004)
  • Depeche Mode, Black Celebration, Mute/Sony Music Labels SICP30539, Blu-spec CD2, (1986/2014)
  • Depeche Mode, Ultra, Mute/Sony Music Labels SICP-30543, Blu-spec CD2, (2007/2014)
  • Electric Light Orchestra, Out of the Blue, Epic/Sony Music Japan SICP-30111, Blu-spec CD2 (1972/2013)
  • Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber, Rosary Sonatas, viol. Rachel Podger, Channel Classics CCS SA 37315, 2 x SACD/CD (2015)
  • Jim Hall Trio, Blues On The Rocks, Gambit Records 69207, CD (2005)
  • John Coltrane, Blue Train, Blue Note/Esoteric ESSB-90123, SACD/CD (1957/2015) w: 6 Great Jazz, “MasterSound Works”, Blue Note/Esoteric ESSB-90122/7, 6 x SACD/CD (1957, 1958, 1965/2015)
  • Kuniko Kato, Kuniko Plays Reich, Linn Records CKD 385, SACD/CD (2011)
Japanese issues available at

Mivera

Major Contributor
i guess you're all paid up subscribers to 'Hypocrisy monthly' :eek: good to know:cool:

oh apart from Tim;)

A lot of closet audiophiles around here. Except Tim of course. If he won a $25000 system of the highest caliber, hooked it up in his listening room, and noticed any improvement what so ever over what he currently owns, he would force his self to subconsciously block it from being real without being shown hard data. Kind of like if a UFO filled with little green aliens came down from the sky and invaded a church claiming they created everyone. The fact that a UFO filled with little green aliens came down from the sky definitely wouldn't be enough proof.

Top Bottom