• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speaker Review

Beave

Major Contributor
How do you guys figure? It has a huge midrange dispersion disruption. Just look at the horizontal polars.

IMO, focus on axis response, listening window, and horizontal polars, along with the DI from the Spinorama. PIR is interesting but not very useful.

If this is a 'huge' midrange dispersion disruption, then the Revel M106 has a 'very large' (but not quite 'huge') midrange dispersion disruption.

The measurements between the two are remarkably similar in the CEA format, in the horizontal directivity, and in the horizontal directivity normalized plots.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/revel-m106-bookshelf-speaker-review.14363/

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I expected this site to reinforce my beliefs in the science of Toole/Olive, but it's kinda done the opposite. I was the guy over on AVS constantly arguing with the subjectivists who said "you can't tell if a speaker sounds bad just by looking at measurements", or "you can't tell if a speaker is good just by looking at measurements", and it frustrated me to no end how much they seemed to ignore the established science. However, in an odd twist of fates, this site - Audio Science - has kinda, in a way, proved the subjectivist right. Spinorama measurements really aren't sufficient to characterize the quality of a loudspeaker(as Toole had led me to believe). It really is possibly to have a speaker with an excellent spinorama that sounds bad(SVS Ultra), and it really is possible to have a speaker with a terrible spinorama that sounds excellent(Revel M55XC).

200.gif

First off, I haven't had the chance to analyze the data but this reply smacked me upside my head.

This, IMHO, is a significant overreaction to one guy's subjective impressions. You're talking about changing your mindset from believing a science that has reliably predicted preference (to more than a flip-of-a-coin degree) to no longer believing it because one person's subjective opinion didn't align a few times? I always listen first, take notes and then look at the data. In nearly every case I have found points in the data that explained why I heard what I heard. And in cases where I haven't I either don't know what to look for or I heard something that wasn't there. I feel strongly about that.

** Flame suit on... ** I hate to be that guy but have you considered that Amir simply isn't the trained listener it's assumed he is? No disrespect, and lord knows I don't need a scolding and paragraphs on Amir's listening sessions with Harman listed as reference, but let's be real here: you are throwing out the baby with the bathwater by taking Amir's personal subjective reaction in a sighted test over some people's near-lifetime of work to quantify preference based on measurements. The only people I would trust explicitly when it comes to subjective feedback are the people who made the music; decided what it was going to sound like going out the door and hopefully had a very neutral set of speakers they mixed them on. I appreciate reading others' takes as more of a recreation but certainly none that I would put significant stock in; especially if they can't help me correlate it to data. **... Flame suit off **

I am not saying it can all be bottled up in to a single set of charts *for every speaker* because there may very well be cases that kind of step outside the norm (the Philharmonic BMR is an example with its wide horizontal dispersion impacting the predicted in-room response). But I just think you're taking a leap that is too far without trying to look in to the reasons. There may be other data points that explain the differences. And maybe this data isn't as good as it may seem at first glance. Or there simply may be the human factor, which no one (myself included) is impervious of.

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
I've started to wonder how much mood and hormones(like endorphins) might affect these reviews. Objectively these are one of the best speakers we've ever seen. Not quite Genelec/Neumann tier, but somewhere around Revel(M105/M106) and KEF(R3) tier.

It's interesting to compare this review to the review of the Revel M55XC. This SVS measures excellently(top 5%), yet sounds bad. The Revel M55XC measures terribly(bottom 10%), yet sounds excellent(golf panther tier).

PS.

It's kinda funny how this site has changed my views of audio science. It's changed my views in the opposite way I expected it to. After reading the Harman threads on AVS and then reading Toole's book, I was absolutely convinced that I could base future purchasing decisions 100% on spinorama measurements, and that would guarantee that I got great sound. I was also convinced that you could (with near certainty) predict which speaker should be preferred based on spinorama alone. I found this site after reading Toole's book, and I was so happy; other people who see audio the same way I do!!!

I expected this site to reinforce my beliefs in the science of Toole/Olive, but it's kinda done the opposite. I was the guy over on AVS constantly arguing with the subjectivists who said "you can't tell if a speaker sounds bad just by looking at measurements", or "you can't tell if a speaker is good just by looking at measurements", and it frustrated me to no end how much they seemed to ignore the established science. However, in an odd twist of fates, this site - Audio Science - has kinda, in a way, proved the subjectivist right. Spinorama measurements really aren't sufficient to characterize the quality of a loudspeaker(as Toole had led me to believe). It really is possibly to have a speaker with an excellent spinorama that sounds bad(SVS Ultra), and it really is possible to have a speaker with a terrible spinorama that sounds excellent(Revel M55XC).

Something that Amir said in that Revel thread really resonated with me, and really made me start to put more weight into his subjective opinion, and that was he has huge incentive to get the subjective listen right. With this speaker, he listened to it after seeing the measurements, so he had a HUGE bias to make him believe this speaker sounded great, and yet he was able to ignore that bias and be honest with what he heard. I would still rather him listen before measuring, but in this case, the fact that he measured first actually makes me believe the subjective impression more.

Anyway, reviews like this (where the subjective and objective are so at odds) are the most interesting to me, and I think they have the best potential to advance our understanding of the science.

Keep in mind that these listening 'tests' are sighted and not level-matched, quick-switched comparisons.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yet, somehow the formula is designed in a way that still scores such speakers highly.
Of course the formula has not really been designed. There is a hypothesis that the factors chosen are those that are the most important, choosing of basic simple, single number, figures of merit for each, and finally an empirically derived statistical fit to how those simple values are convolved into a final figure of merit. It isn't exactly a surprise that the formula is not especially robust.
Given the number of speakers tested, versus the number used to derive the Olive score, we are probably arriving at the point where we can derive a panther score formula. Predict the panther from the data. It won't match the Olive score, but will be of the same ilk. Where it differs will be interesting, and starts to become science.

Beave

Major Contributor
200.gif

First off, I haven't had the chance to analyze the data but this reply smacked me upside my head.

This, IMHO, is a significant overreaction to one guy's subjective impressions. You're talking about changing your mindset from believing a science that has reliably predicted preference (to more than a flip-of-a-coin degree) to no longer believing it because one person's subjective opinion didn't align a few times? I always listen first, take notes and then look at the data. In nearly every case I have found points in the data that explained why I heard what I heard. And in cases where I haven't I either don't know what to look for or I heard something that wasn't there. I feel strongly about that.

** Flame suit on... ** I hate to be that guy but have you considered that Amir simply isn't the trained listener it's assumed he is? No disrespect, and lord knows I don't need a scolding and paragraphs on Amir's listening sessions with Harman listed as reference, but let's be real here: you are throwing out the baby with the bathwater by taking Amir's personal subjective reaction in a sighted test over some people's near-lifetime of work to quantify preference based on measurements. The only people I would trust explicitly when it comes to subjective feedback are the people who made the music; decided what it was going to sound like going out the door and hopefully had a very neutral set of speakers they mixed them on. I appreciate reading others' takes as more of a recreation but certainly none that I would put significant stock in; especially if they can't help me correlate it to data. **... Flame suit off **

I am not saying it can all be bottled up in to a single set of charts *for every speaker* because there may very well be cases that kind of step outside the norm (the Philharmonic BMR is an example with its wide horizontal dispersion impacting the predicted in-room response). But I just think you're taking a leap that is too far without trying to look in to the reasons. There may be other data points that explain the differences. And maybe this data isn't as good as it may seem at first glance. Or there simply may be the human factor, which no one (myself included) is impervious of.

It's not so much that Amir may/may not be a great 'trained' listener but that
A) He's only one person, not an aggregate
B) He's doing sighted testing days apart

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This, IMHO, is a significant overreaction to one guy's subjective impressions. You're talking about changing your mindset from believing a science that has reliably predicted preference (to more than a flip-of-a-coin degree) to no longer believing it because one person's subjective opinion didn't align a few times?

** Flame suit on... ** I hate to be that guy but have you considered that Amir simply isn't the trained listener it's assumed he is? No disrespect, and lord knows I don't need a scolding and paragraphs on Amir's listening sessions with Harman listed as reference, but let's be real here: you are throwing out the baby with the bathwater by taking Amir's personal subjective reaction in a sighted test over some people's near-lifetime of work to quantify preference based on measurements. **... Flame suit off **
What does training have to do with it? The research says preference is the same between trained and untrained.

The Olive score is but one small aspect of research about speaker preference. Somehow it has become *the thing* on our forum. It should not be. It is not useless to be sure. But it has not verified by others, or even follow on studies by Harman as to its efficacy.

Remember, the score was computed based on listening studies prior to it. It was not used to predict the performance of a speaker with follow on listening tests proving its efficacy. It was backward prediction, not forward.

Importantly, when I asked Sean to give me his spreadsheet or tools to compute it, he said there was none and the effort to build the tool stopped when the person working on it left the company.

This means the score is NOT being used to characterize speaker preference at Harman.

This speaker does NOT have flat on-axis response, and excellent directivities which is the two major factors advocated by the research. Now, how sensitive you and I are about such variations, will likely be different. I have tested over 70 speakers so far. So I say I am ahead of most people in trying to correlate preference with measurements. Practical experience here matters and is not something to be dismissed solely based on what you have read.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

A) Another of my points. He's one guy. With an opinion. Throwing out a whole science based on one guy's opinion is... yea...
B) A well trained listener, someone who has shown time and again they can identify tones correctly, compression, level changes to within a small degree, etc. wouldn't be effected by this. Of course, there's no one I can think of off the top of my head that I know pass this criteria. I know people whose opinions seem to align with mine. But most of the time I look at the data and skip any subjective impressions other than for recreational use unless they are specifically trying to tie their subjective commentary to the data in some way or at least acknowledging areas where things don't seem to align.

I don't want this to be a "Amir can't have an opinion" spiral. For the love of God. I am saying: taking one guy's subjective opinion over decades of science and tossing the science aside is crazy talk. No matter who the "one guy" is. :D

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
The research says preference is the same between trained and untrained.

Was the research based on sighted listening? ;)

Don't miss the point of my post by feeling like I am attacking your credentials. Casting aside science due to yours (or mine, or anyone else's) subjective impression is a step backwards. I am certain you would agree.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Again, if you want to go by research, my preference should be the same as majority of people. This has been shown in two rounds of blind testing at Harman (different occasions) where I voted the same as majority in the research.

If we all are different and you need to average all of us, then this goes against the research. And would say these measurements have no value.

Same thing as you would be doing when you buy a speaker. It is not like you are going to buy a speaker shuffler and compare the new speaker to a bunch of other ones blind. Would you like to be the first one to evaluate one of these speakers or have me to do that first?

And remember, I test for total experience. SPL level. Distortion. Not just frequency response.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Was the research based on sighted listening? ;)
Well, you don't want to go there because I can tell you from experience that trained listeners care far less for superficial aspects of audio products than everyday audiophiles. And I firmly fall in the "don't care" category compared to someone who has bought a new toy, or lacks the experience in any kind of audio evaluation.

Systemdek

Spinorama is still super important and reliable indicator of performance. It is the "Olive Score" that is causing the confusion and what is at odds sometimes with my listening impressions.

We have a single number that takes multiple variables. By definition then you can get the same number with many variations of the underlying parameters. Those speakers can't sound the same.

The Olive score is really not that precise. It can produce an accurate model (see the confidence interval). However, for the prediction interval you are looking at +/- 1.81 preference ratings.

This interval is for the mean measured preference rating. For a single listener, this prediction interval is larger because you need to include the variance of the listener. A trained listener will have lower variance than an untrained listener as shown by Olive (pg 219 J. Audio Eng. Soc. Vol 51 No 9, 2003 Sept).

From Minitab:
SVS Capture.PNG

SVS Ultra Prediction Interval.png

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember, the score was computed based on listening studies prior to it. It was not used to predict the performance of a speaker with follow on listening tests proving its efficacy. It was backward prediction, not forward.

Having never gotten around to reading any of the actual papers I need to ask to confirm.

Is the whole Olive score really just post hoc data mining?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Well, you don't want to go there because I can tell you from experience that trained listeners care far less for superficial aspects of audio products than everyday audiophiles. And I firmly fall in the "don't care" category compared to someone who has bought a new toy, or lacks the experience in any kind of audio evaluation.

I don't need to go there. I know your stance is that your sighted subjective impression is infallible. I honestly don't have a bone to pick because I am agnostic. It's kind of a necessary evil; I get it. I'm not knocking you for providing subjective evaluation.

Before this goes way off the rails let us right the ship because I don't want to have to dig through 5 pages of you defending yourself because my original reply was misconstrued. So, getting back on topic, this was the quote I was replying to:

This left me with the impression that @richard12511 puts more weight on your opinion than data. That, when the two don't align its because the data isn't telling the right story.

And that's where I disagree. It can be that a) the subjective impression isn't necessarily accurate, b) we don't have all of the data to make the complete picture, c) we don't understand the data or d) we analyzing the data wrong. Any number of mix/match or a degree of all of those.

I cannot imagine you, @amirm, would want someone reading your data to come to the conclusion that when the two don't align the subjective opinion is the default answer. That's my argument. It's not that you can't hear shit. It's the mentality of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. That's all.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Having never gotten around to reading any of the actual papers I need to ask to confirm.

It is. It came as a challenge to Consumer Reports which had decided Power Response was the measure of merit. That made Harman speakers not look so good so Sean decided to see if he could develop a better metric and the score we have is that.

There were supposed to be follow on chapters analyzing role of distortion, dispersion, etc. but nothing was published.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't need to go there. I know your stance is that your sighted subjective impression is infallible.
That's not the case whatsoever. I have never said that. What I have said is that the factors that bias me are not nearly as strong as what biases you all. So you can't be dismissive of my results out of hand that way.

I am not a machine and certainly can't be counted to produce preference scores down to decimal places. There is variability in my scores as would be with even Harman trained listeners. Bias may play a role here but so do a lot of other factors. Expecting a human to spit out preference according to a model is just not going to happen. You are welcome to prove me wrong in your tests. I suspect you will fail.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This left me with the impression that @richard12511 puts more weight on your opinion than data. That, when the two don't align its because the data isn't telling the right story.

And that's where I disagree. It can be that a) the subjective impression isn't necessarily accurate, b) we don't have all of the data to make the complete picture, c) we don't understand the data or d) we analyzing the data wrong. Any number of mix/match or a degree of all of those.

I cannot imagine you, @amirm, would want someone reading your data to come to the conclusion that when the two don't align the subjective opinion is the default answer. That's my argument. It's not that you can't hear shit. It's the mentality of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. That's all.
As I explained to richard, there is nothing wrong with the "data." The disagreement is with a scoring system which until I came around, no one had tested. Blind faith was put on it based on how good other Harman research has been, myself included. My experience even early on though pointed to issues in it and hence the reason I did not adopt it. Prior to this, I was a believer and thought the score would be so good that I would not even need to listen to a speaker. I can't say that anymore.

Let me be clear that the score has predictive power, it just isn't absolute. I wish it was. But it isn't.

If someone wants to prove otherwise, they need to conduct tests as I have on 70+ speakers. They need to set up their controlled tests to demonstrate with speakers not in the original study, that the regression analysis works. Until then, we need some sanity check even if imperfect and that is what I am providing.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'll make a distinction between data mining and what Olive did. Modern data mining is more about looking for correlations in raw data and eliciting the existence of correlations. Olive went into the study with a clear idea about what the correlated data were, and what figures of merit to use. The statistical work was finding the factor to apply to these numbers to yield ordering of preference. This is much more conventional statistical analysis than data mining. "Data mining" seems to have become a catch-all phrase, and I would not like to see it applied when there is arguably much more solid backing to the work than just letting a bunch of data mining tools loose over the data to see what turns up. There is much more science here than that.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Given the number of speakers tested, versus the number used to derive the Olive score, we are probably arriving at the point where we can derive a panther score formula. Predict the panther from the data. It won't match the Olive score, but will be of the same ilk. Where it differs will be interesting, and starts to become science.
Indeed. Here is an example analysis. I went to speaker review index and asked it to show all the speakers with rating of 5.0 to max (6.8). It produced 22 entries (really 23 but one doesn't have a recommendation from me):

1596336933002.png

Out of 22, I have recommended 17 for 77% approval rating! This means if I am wrong and score is perfect, then my failure rate is only 23%.

And we all know that the score can't be perfect. Derate it by 10 to 20% and you almost get to the ratio that I have.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
That's not the case whatsoever. I have never said that. What I have said is that the factors that bias me are not nearly as strong as what biases you all. So you can't be dismissive of my results out of hand that way.

I am not a machine and certainly can't be counted to produce preference scores down to decimal places. There is variability in my scores as would be with even Harman trained listeners. Bias may play a role here but so do a lot of other factors. Expecting a human to spit out preference according to a model is just not going to happen. You are welcome to prove me wrong in your tests. I suspect you will fail.

I'm not dismissive of your subjective feedback for that reason. I mean no offense when I say this... I just don't put stock in subjective opinions until there is a correlation drawn or at least an attempt at one. Which is what your entire site is founded on. So, no issue there.

I'm not sure why you think I am trying to prove you wrong? I think I have made my point quite clear that no one is free from subjective complications and lumped myself in that category in an earlier reply. ;)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
As I explained to richard, there is nothing wrong with the "data." The disagreement is with a scoring system which until I came around, no one had tested. Blind faith was put on it based on how good other Harman research has been, myself included. My experience even early on though pointed to issues in it and hence the reason I did not adopt it. Prior to this, I was a believer and thought the score would be so good that I would not even need to listen to a speaker. I can't say that anymore.

Let me be clear that the score has predictive power, it just isn't absolute. I wish it was. But it isn't.

If someone wants to prove otherwise, they need to conduct tests as I have on 70+ speakers. They need to set up their controlled tests to demonstrate with speakers not in the original study, that the regression analysis works. Until then, we need some sanity check even if imperfect and that is what I am providing.

FWIW, I don't pay attention to the preference score. I don't put any stock in it at all. None whatsoever. I don't provide one in my analysis. I don't believe a single number will ever take the place for data. Personally, I think it's a metric that should only be used by the engineers when determining what product to pursue within a set of options laid before them. A balance of marketing (aesthetics, price) vs performance (response attributes). I hate to see a single number attempted to replicate an entire response. I run in to this sort of thing at work all the time when upper management wants me to boil down 30 pages of data analysis in to a single paragraph and expect it to paint an accurate picture, flaws and all. I liken the preference score to this. And that's why I don't play that game. :D

Top Bottom