• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to Support Audio Science Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Code/plug-in no longer working?:
No. There is a callback required from paypal to the server to register that payment is made. Last year paypal started to send me warnings that it could not contact the server out of the blue. I think i have figured out the problem but not sure why it occurred. At some point I will reconfigure the system and see if it works again.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. There is a callback required from paypal to the server to register that payment is made. Last year paypal started to send me warnings that it could not contact the server out of the blue. I think i have figured out the problem but not sure why it occurred. At some point I will reconfigure the system and see if it works again.
One of the points of the video I posted, an interesting watch if you have time (Tom Scott has a lot of really good videos, from technical things regarding coding all the way down to why the UK still uses 2 faucet for hot/cold water and not a single one with both lines).

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeh, just finished watching it. Great video especially for anyone in software business. I wrote a barbeque temperature monitoring program 10 years ago way before such things were popular. It could post the current status of your cook to twitter. Then Twitter changed to Oath and broke the old API. Took me a lot of effort to re-write the stupid thing to get it work again, required pop up for user to put in PIN, etc.

While I did think a lot of "mash ups" were silly, some aspects were useful this way.

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
@amirm I also have donated, but my status also was not upgraded :)
It was sent from my colleague account, bank says that the payment is processed.
Keep up the good work! :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Added a new option to support the forum with any amount you like: https://paypal.me/AudioScienceReview?locale.x=en_US

I prefer that you go through the forum upgrade option if you can so the system can keep track of it. But if you like to donate a different amount, then feel free to use the above link.

A.West

Forum Donor
I just upgraded to "extreme supporter," pretty accurate given my ideals.

posvibes

How does one make a payment as a supporter from overseas (Australia) without using Paypal?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How does one make a payment as a supporter from overseas (Australia) without using Paypal?
Paypal takes credit cards. So when you are taken there, just select credit card as a form of payment (no need to login).

posvibes

Sorry I should have been more precise, can one make a credit card payment without being a Paypal Member? Unfortunately the page insists of address details to progress the payment but options for states and zip codes etc are just for the U.S.A

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know how it works from donations, however Patreon is set to have some... uh... er... 'difficulties' due to shady business practices. I understand they recently lost an arbitration judgement which some speculate might threaten its very existence due to a possible surge of pending claims against the service.

If ASR depends on the Patreon for dollars it might be a good thing to investigate and find out if Patreon's situation could affect revenue flow from donations.

I'm not a legal scholar nor do I play one on TV, so I can't comment on the findings other than pointing it out. Below is a link, but I'm sure there are others that go into detail.

https://reclaimthenet.org/final-ruling-patreon-owen-benjamin-injunction-denied/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry I should have been more precise, can one make a credit card payment without being a Paypal Member?
Yes. You just don't login if you are a paypal customer. Just pretend you don't have a login and it should let you use a credit card.

Alas, I don't know if you can use non-US credit cards.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't know how it works from donations, however Patreon is set to have some... uh... er... 'difficulties' due to shady business practices. I understand they recently lost an arbitration judgement which some speculate might threaten its very existence due to a possible surge of pending claims against the service.

If ASR depends on the Patreon for dollars it might be a good thing to investigate and find out if Patreon's situation could affect revenue flow from donations.

I'm not a legal scholar nor do I play one on TV, so I can't comment on the findings other than pointing it out. Below is a link, but I'm sure there are others that go into detail.

Wow, that is fascinating. Did not know about that provision of California arbitration clause.

On your concern which is much appreciated :), most of the donations come through forum upgrades or direct donations. People who use Patreon are non members. Still, losing that option will be significant. I will surely have to cut back on good steaks and sushi if it happens....

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Im not a lawyer either and I get that the ruling opens up Patreon for a shed load of potentially costly arbitration costs. I'd like to know more about the particular "de-platforming" before classing the business practices that led to the arbitration here as "shady". A very simple read of this suggests regardless of why they invoked ToS to de-platform a user, should the backers choose to take it to arbitration, Patreon would have to incur the filing costs etc of that as the drafting party.

You will note the article doesnt discuss the nature of the campaign or reasons for the de-platforming and also note the slant of the site.

EDIT- Ah yes, as suspected, the Patreon user in question is , in fact, an arsehole. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Benjamin

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You will note the article doesnt discuss the nature of the campaign or reasons for the de-platforming

That's pretty much irrelevant though. Even though this particular case really has nothing to do with it these companies need to stop getting away with pretending they aren't common carriers.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's pretty much irrelevant though. Even though this particular case really has nothing to do with it these companies need to stop getting away with pretending they aren't common carriers.

"Common carriers"- not a term I understand in this context. You mean Patreon try and deny responsibility for the content / people/ products that are on there? Or that they are duty bound to provide their service regardless of what the person is saying/ selling?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Common carriers"- not a term I understand in this context. You mean Patreon try and deny responsibility for the content / people/ products that are on there? Or that they are duty bound to provide their service regardless of what the person is saying/ selling?
As I understand it (just from reading about the action), the original TOS required arbitration as a means for settling disputes, but then Patreon filed a court action against some of its members that were asking for arbitration, and in fact changed the TOS in the middle of the arbitration in order to deflect the plaintiff's argument.

It appears to me the court ruled that if the TOS calls for dispute arbitration then the matter has to be settled by an arbitrator, not a court, and further that TOS can't be adjusted mid-course in order to suppress a potential or on-going arbitration.

PS: Evidently the reason this could be devastating to Patreon is that under California law, arbitration fees have to be paid up front by the company. My guess is that this provision of the law was made in order to allow potential victims of fraud etc. to be able to seek redress even if they don't have any money. That is, the financial onus is on the company and not the user, as far as the costs of the original arbitration goes. As with all law I'm sure there are a lot of nuances I don't know about.

In any case, I use other means than Pateron for donating to ASR. Because of its importance, I certainly encourage all readers to send something. That's just my opinion, but I think ASR is definitely worth the sub price of Stereophile, or any other hi-fi magazine for that matter.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or that they are duty bound to provide their service regardless of what the person is saying/ selling?

Pretty much. I did a little googling and it looks like the term is a little different in the UK, but in the US it can also apply to telecommunications.

AFIK in telecommunications it originally came into being so that for example, the phone company is not responsible if you plot a murder over the phone. By the same token, they can't just cancel your service because they don't like what you say over the phone. If a person is actually doing something illegal with the service it's a problem for the courts and the service provider will cooperate after suitable warrants are obtained. If it's not illegal, it's none of their business.

This all went to hell with the internet and companies basically dance back and forth between whatever suits them best at the moment.

Although once again, this case doesn't bring that point up at all. It's Patreon's on TOS coming back to bite them in the ass, which is still plenty amusing in its own right.

posvibes

Yes. You just don't login if you are a paypal customer. Just pretend you don't have a login and it should let you use a credit card.

Alas, I don't know if you can use non-US credit cards.

Sorry Amirm, I don' t think you can use non-US credit cards as the details of address are required and and that is a USA-centric only format.

So I can only offer you moral support for the time being.

Top Bottom