• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jazz ♫ Music only | In the now, or recently, or that you love...

Digital Mastering System

I listen to 'Radio Swiss Jazz' on the internet thingie. Anyway they play nice jazz mostly, but sometimes the play f***ing banjo music. That is completely unacceptable! (Followed closely by dixieland, yuk.)
I completely agree with NorthSky's selections.
Jazz is great on good two channel systems because it is acoustic and it's meant to be played in rooms of similar size to our homes.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I have a challenge for you all. Post music from the 21st century only.

Lol ... that'll be the day.

Me OP, and Jazz covers all life periods.

But, you can start a new Jaws (Jazz) thread covering only the 21st Century; I encourage you ... because music matters.

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

i know about and|or own many of the suggestions on this thread. It's like the same things get recommended time and time again to the same group of people or demographic. I made a deliberate decision to seek out new music of the 21st century and my haul, mostly jazz, so far after a few months comes to about 20 records that I've liked so much that I actually bought them. Don't be crusty curdmugeons and think they don't make music like they used to. Good new music is out there.

Asylum Seeker

For my money, the best jazz today is coming out of Europe. The US seems stuck in a time warp and wedded to the old doyens.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
i know about and|or own many of the suggestions on this thread. It's like the same things get recommended time and time again to the same group of people or demographic. I made a deliberate decision to seek out new music of the 21st century and my haul, mostly jazz, so far after a few months comes to about 20 records that I've liked so much that I actually bought them. Don't be crusty curdmugeons and think they don't make music like they used to. Good new music is out there.

That's why I first started this thread...to share Jazz music from all periods to including the last ten years. What we listen to ... what we like ... new and old Jazz ... to turn our mojo on ... to cool off during this crazy pandemic crisis.

Shoot your stuff from the last ten years and I'll tell you which and which I like and I'll buy what is worth it after investigation. Music is about making new discoveries, so we are all on the same wavelength here...even kids discovering John Coltrane.

Nobody is going to tell you what to do, nobody. But everybody is going to read and listen to what you have to say and share on recent Jazz.

Cheers,
Bob

Asylum Seeker

Start with Shake Stew out of Austria.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Start with Shake Stew out of Austria.

I'm on it ... Shake Stew

* May I ask what part of Guatemala you live?
Your avatar; you when you were young, your son or your grandson?

I don't know, ECM has been around for 50 years, and the "sound" it's known for in 2020 is the same basic sound it's been known for since the early 70s.

In 50 years the mic techniques have improved. I know because I have some old ones and newer ones from that Jazz music record label...on vinyls and on CDs.

That's my bag. :cool:

Last edited:

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm on it ... Shake Stew

In 50 years the mic techniques have improved. I know because I have some old ones and newer ones from that Jazz music record label...on vinyls and on CDs.

I'm on it ... Shake Stew

Sorry for being imprecise. By "sound", I mean musical styles.

Asylum Seeker

I'm on it ... Shake Stew

I don't live in Guatemala, bro. I was born there but left decades ago. Live very far from the Americas now. That's my kid foto. Too young to have grandkids.

Shake Stew - Start with albums One (The Golden Fang) or Three (Gris Gris).

Just started auditioning this one and makes an early positive impression...

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Sorry for being imprecise. By "sound", I mean musical styles.

That, is a Jazz music subject we can deeply elaborate about ... but overall on the surface ECM has a philosophy on the artist musicians they record.
And there are certainly various styles from these musicians; from their inner influences, and also from different generations and over the years...fifty.

I'd consider myself well versed with the ECM music record label and some of their artist players. I said "well", not expert. ... Enough to know their sound and style as one of the very top best in the world...to my ears and chords.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I don't live in Guatemala, bro. I was born there but left decades ago. Live very far from the Americas now. That's my kid foto. Too young to have grandkids.

Shake Stew - Start with albums One (The Golden Fang) or Three (Gris Gris).

Just started auditioning this one and makes an early positive impression...

Cute kid, Foto. I was born in Quebec, I spent some time in various parts of Guatemala, I now live in British Columbia, Kha Nada. I'm part of the Americas.
My ancestors were French from France and Indians from the Americas and Irish from Ireland. ...Ancestral blood running through my veins...a blend. I'm from planet Earth, a human...universal from the universe. :) Jazz is the birth of the cool ... :cool:

Thx for the music recommendations ... I sure will explore those two you just mentioned.
So much great Jazz music so little time.

Top Bottom