• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is COVID strategy moving towards herd-immunity?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin L

Master Contributor
As long as you don't take it too far and give in to the conspiracy marketeers.
"If they got you asking wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers", Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Since Herd Immunity actually requires long term individual immunity to even work...and as far as I know, there is no sure evidence that an individual maintains immunity for an extended period of time post infection, I don’t see how this could be considered a remotely reasonable approach without more information.
Am I missing something?
Anyway, living here is the South East USA, we might actually end up being the ones to prove it one way or another...

Stay tuned.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I don't know about "unreasonable", but hyperaware and responsive to threats as if the world is out to get me---in current circumstances, a reasonable position.

Are you from Europe?

* Bizarre; few minutes ago I couldn't log in.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Since Herd Immunity actually requires long term individual immunity to even work...and as far as I know, there is no sure evidence that an individual maintains immunity for an extended period of time post infection, I don’t see how this could be considered a remotely reasonable approach without more information.
Am I missing something?
Anyway, living here is the South East USA, we might actually end up being the ones to prove it one way or another...

Stay tuned.

Are you from Florida like Ray here? You guys are still doing better than Brazil, or India, or Mexico. If there is such a thing as herd immunity that'll be three countries.

Personally I'm not into Sweden's strategy, or from earlier with the UK.
The data so far doesn't support it.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I missing something?

Stay tuned.
Because there is no concrete evidence that individuals can become re-infected with COVID-19, and our immune system usually stores anti-bodies for the duration of our lifetime.

Robin L

Master Contributor

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
If they're only worn for a short time, sure. Wearing one long-term really sucks.

I have worn disposable N95s in hot weather all day (construction project). The elastomerics are much more comfortable (soft-silicone seal, doesn't dig into the face). I can wear mine all day.

Some people wear a tie all day. I find it very uncomfortable even for a few hours when I have to wear it.

I think minor discomfort of wearing N95s is worth crushing this awful disease and getting back to normal.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Because there is no concrete evidence that individuals can become re-infected with COVID-19, and our immune system usually stores anti-bodies for the duration of our lifetime.

True for some diseases, but not all. There is also no concrete evidence that those infected cannot be reinfected. Until we know that with assurance, it seems an inappropriate strategy.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have worn disposable N95s in hot weather all day (construction project). The elastomerics are much more comfortable (soft-silicone seal, doesn't dig into the face). I can wear mine all day.

Some people wear a tie all day. I find it very uncomfortable even for a few hours when I have to wear it.

I think minor discomfort of wearing N95s is worth crushing this awful disease and getting back to normal.
It wasn't really minor discomfort, it was that for some, breathing can be difficult in them when worn for long periods. I don't think they're for everyone.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Are you from Florida like Ray here? You guys are still doing better than Brazil, or India, or Mexico. If there is such a thing as herd immunity that'll be three countries.

Personally I'm not into Sweden's strategy, or from earlier with the UK.
The data so far doesn't support it.
Yeah...it’s amazing to think we’re comparatively fortunate. Thanks for reminding me.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Yeah...it’s amazing to think we’re comparatively fortunate. Thanks for reminding me.

I have relatives in Florida.

* Bizarre, I was logged out without logging out.
This must be the new normal ...

Dmitri

Forum Donor
I have relatives in Florida.

* Bizarre, I was logged out without logging out.
This must be the new normal ...

Yeah...I hear you. Not in Florida but we have similar issues. I hope your relatives remain safe and well. My daughter lives 2 1/2 hours away, and I haven’t seen her in 4 months...She and her husband, though fairly careful, still get together with friends, and I’m not comfortable with that. My wife is less than pleased with my hard line stance...and I hate that I have to be that way. I really miss our kids. Zoom just ain’t the same. : (

North_Sky

Major Contributor
All my family are from the East ... Quebec.
And I haven't seen them for a long time.
I was supposed to fly end of this Summer...but I didn't reserve a plane ticket yet ...

I know how you feel. This is a very sad period in our lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom