• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

integrated amplifier for 2 thousand dollars

Leo Tos

Hello! I read your site for a long time, I decided to register myself and ask a question. I need help choosing an integrated amplifier in the price range up to 2 thousand dollars. The requirements are simple: 100 watts into 8 ohms and low THD. So far I have selected Hegel h120 and Nad c388 for myself. I would be glad if you share your opinion and suggest the best options. (I have 3-way DIY speakers on Scan-Speak Revelator.) Thank you!

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hello! I read your site for a long time, I decided to register myself and ask a question. I need help choosing an integrated amplifier in the price range up to 2 thousand dollars. The requirements are simple: 100 watts into 8 ohms and low THD. So far I have selected Hegel h120 and Nad c388 for myself. I would be glad if you share your opinion and suggest the best options. (I have 3-way DIY speakers on Scan-Speak Revelator.) Thank you!
Check out the new offering from Orchard. More power than you need, low distortion.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you’re not set on an integrated:
MiniDSP SHD $1200
March Audio P122 or P252 currently $652.50 and $805.50 respectively
Gives you everything you asked for plus Dirac room correction and streaming.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/sh...MI7s-j2OLy6gIVS7LICh3hnwWDEAAYASAAEgJBYfD_BwE
https://www.marchaudio.net.au/

This or swapping out the minidsp for a RME ADI-2 FS would be my choice. I skip the P122 and get the P252, as a bit of extra headroom never hurts and covers if a change to less efficient speakers Happens down the road.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for RME ADI-2 DAC FS v2 and NCore. :)

Archsam

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
Leo Tos

Leo Tos

Atoll and Rotel amplifiers have higher distortion at volume up to 1W than even the Hegel. I will look for graphs of measurements of March Audio and Nord. I haven't thought about DSP yet, I have an internal crossover in the speakers. Perhaps in the future I will switch to DSP.

OP
Leo Tos

Leo Tos

there is a Polish site https://audio.com.pl/
In the Hi-Fi Test section there are many graphs of measurements of audio equipment. This site helped me to discard very bad options. maybe it will be interesting to someone.

Vasr

Major Contributor

"Integrated" varies a lot on what that includes. Your requirements don't say anything about that part. So, as expected, it will become a laundry list of anything integrated anybody likes.

Digital input? How many? Your selection implies yes
Streamers inside?
WiFi ability?
Analog input? How many? Phono?
XLR inputs needed?
Need a crossover to sub output?
Need a trigger input?
Need HT bypass?
Need a remote?
Need room EQ? Or a monitor out to include EQ chain?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
miniDSP SHD Power is high on my list ... Provides a lot for $1500... Can be center of a top flight system , assuming its performance is in line with the SHD Studio.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
To be contrarian for a second, why not a Denon AVR-X3600H? Or X3700H if you want to add more than two external power amps later?

Yes, you are only going to use two channels to start. But perhaps with it only driving two, the transformer and PS won't in use seem undersized.

But if you are unhappy with the internal amps, you run it as a preamp and add power amps instead.

You also get Audessey xt32..

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3600h-av-receiver-review.12676/

Last edited:
OP
Leo Tos

Leo Tos

"Integrated" varies a lot on what that includes. Your requirements don't say anything about that part. So, as expected, it will become a laundry list of anything integrated anybody likes.

Digital input? How many? Your selection implies yes
Streamers inside?
WiFi ability?
Analog input? How many? Phono?
XLR inputs needed?
Need a crossover to sub output?
Need a trigger input?
Need HT bypass?
Need a remote?
Need room EQ? Or a monitor out to include EQ chain?
I don't have big requirements for an amplifier. in the classical sense, an integrated amplifier is a preamplifier and a power amplifier assembled on one chassis. further there are nuances. of course it would be nice to have a coaxial input, bluetooth, etc., but the main thing is gain and a volume control knob

OP
Leo Tos

Leo Tos

for me the most important thing is a minimum of distortion at all volume levels, even at the lowest. at the same time, the power must be sufficient to bang where it is necessary. slew rate is also important. this is a very important parameter and an important dimension. on the stereophile, few amplifiers had a truly rectangular pulse. thanks for the links to the March Audio measurements.

OP
Leo Tos

Leo Tos

and also, thanks to everyone who responded to my request for help and offered solutions to the problem. it is very nice.

Vasr

Major Contributor
I don't have big requirements for an amplifier. in the classical sense, an integrated amplifier is a preamplifier and a power amplifier assembled on one chassis. further there are nuances. of course it would be nice to have a coaxial input, bluetooth, etc., but the main thing is gain and a volume control knob

At this "level of clarity" on the requirement, I would strongly recommend a DAC with volume control (which can be quite small in foot print if space is an issue) and a separate power amp rather than an integrated. If your needs for the pre-amp change in the future (and they will), then you have to replace the whole thing which can be a waste if the power amp was a good one.

A $200-$400 DAC and a $800-$1200 amp should set you up nicely and the amp will last for a long time if and when you outgrow the DAC. You can get much better "measured well" choices this way.

The choices within integrated will be much more limited compromising on the pre-amp or the power-amp or both. If you want to spend a bit more you can get a DAC with a DSP in it. Or a stereo pre-amp with more inputs and/or bass management to future proof.

Last edited:
Top Bottom