• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Element Streamers

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am very interested in one of the element streamers MA's has but, because my entire system is black, i want a black faced unit. Reading some of the threads here, i see i am not alone in my desires. I thought of either taking the cover off, getting it anodized or simply just paint it black. Its aluminum so shouldn't be too difficult. I inquired to MA and one of their US distributors regarding 1) any possibility of black versions in the near future or if the case was able to accommodate being disassembled easily to be painted. The answer i got back was 1) no plans and 2) painting will void the warranty.
Just thought i would let you know in case you were considering buying their product and just maybe with enough feedback here (assuming they visit ASR) they would be open to changing their position regarding voiding the warranty. I can understand their position. I take the unit apart to paint and i damage something and make a warranty claim. There needs to be an amicable solution.
Sadly, it appears I will end up buying from one of their competitors.

virtuovice

Forum Donor
One of the reasons I prefer the X Sabre Pro over the Element X is because it comes in black. For whatever it's worth; a unibody not too dissimilar to the X-SPDIF 2 with a linear power supply and RJ45 input / I2S output would pair nicely with the XSP and enable streaming for folks that use the XSP DAC.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Their decision not to go black is a bad one indeed.

If I were to buy one and paint it, I would run it stock for a couple of weeks to check for errors and issues (death rate and issues are higher when electronics are new), and if everything was Ok, then disassemble, spray paint it or something, and assemble back again.

zelig

Forum Donor
Should be pretty easy to create a black vinyl skin/decal for it. That would likely look better than a spray job and could be easily reversible.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their decision not to go black is a bad one indeed.

If I were to buy one and paint it, I would run it stock for a couple of weeks to check for errors and issues (death rate and issues are higher when electronics are new), and if everything was Ok, then disassemble, spray paint it or something, and assemble back again.

Yah, let infant mortality take hold if its gonna and then change its color. Agree!

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should be pretty easy to create a black vinyl skin/decal for it. That would likely look better than a spray job and could be easily reversible.
Yah think? you have an example of what you are talking about. I put a black protective skin on my laptop which worked ok and looked ok but it was custom cut and fit well. Is that what you were thinking?

BobPM

Started collecting stereo gear in the 70s--hi-fi equipment is supposed to be silver. :)

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet..

PS- just returned an Element M; could not get it to stay connected to my wireless network (a very robust network)

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet..

PS- just returned an Element M; could not get it to stay connected to my wireless network (a very robust network)
Interesting. I would be connecting via wired. Did you try that, perchance?
Who did you buy it from? MA direct or a distributor
TIA

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did not try a hard wired connection; the unit had to be used wirelessly so I didn't see the point but it would have been interesting to see if it made a difference. It would connect, even stream via AirPlay for a bit, then drop off. I have an AVM60 in the same room, in a cabinet, and it maintains its connection without a hiccup.
It came from China but was ordered from the US distributor. Return process has not gone well, waiting to hear if a "restocking fee" will be imposed.

Last edited:
OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the info. I only asked about wired as that is how i will be connecting. Would it be possible to get an update on your experience since i have my concerns about the chance of a return and the possibility of a restocking fee. I am on the verge of placing an order so i am very interested in what you are experiencing.
Which distributor (dont have to name names if you dont want)? the one that is about 70 miles south of the location you put in your signature?
Thanks

Top Bottom