• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL M8 DAC

Katji

Major Contributor
You can get a serial adapter cheap if that is all you need to flash the firmware!
I think mine has the firmware (my M8), I plan to set the M8 up again for my second workstation now.

You mean a USB--serial port adapter? ...I'm assuming there's some connector inside the M8,...that the chip doesn't have to be taken out.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any news if the new 9038 SMSL M8A is as good as this one?

pos

Forum Donor
For anyone interested, I intend to report back with a proper howto when it is all done :D
I did update my two SMSL M8 and it worked like a charm.
Screensaver replaced the standby feature, turning the screen off after 15 sec.
I gathered images along the way, and will post everything in a new thread when time permits.

Thank you @SMSL-Mandy!

confucius_zero

I'm curious to know why the SMSL M8 isn't on the "Master SINAD (distortion) Comparison Graph for DACs"

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm curious to know why the SMSL M8 isn't on the "Master SINAD (distortion) Comparison Graph for DACs"
It was tested on my old analyzer which didn't generate it.

Katji

Major Contributor
! That was quick! :)

Ok...I was thinking I'd better get someone to do the soldering for me, but...I think my solder iron is small enough and the way you did it, I think I can handle that.

Reactions: pos

vitalii427

Forum Donor
I have not had time to test mine.
Hope you will find some time to measure M8A soon. I’m interested because there’s one at local store and no Tooping except D30 anywhere near.

Katji

Major Contributor
USPS, not UPS. USPS is US Postal Service. ...It really went down over the last 5-6 years or so.

PS: I hope all you north Americans are ok in that extreme winter weather. ...It is so bad, I would visit our friend in Kiev winter, but USA no way. :>

This is the circuit board of SMSL M8A v3 compared to v2, it seems that the output protection relay has been omitted. Does anyone have any idea about this?

1234515.jpg

714e421JopL._SL1000_.jpg

JediMa

I have it, it sounds decent, I'd say nice and clear but feels like that's not enough, that's why I posted here to replace it... I still have that feeling but i wouldn't spend more than 200 - 250

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have it, it sounds decent, I'd say nice and clear but feels like that's not enough, that's why I posted here to replace it... I still have that feeling but i wouldn't spend more than 200 - 250
There are so many good options in the price tier of $200-250.
Even the Topping D50/D50S at $250 is a killer option. You have JDS with the Element DAC, Schiit has a new DAC in that price range too.
Geshelli has 2 DAC's in that price range.
All of them are chart-toppers and are more than "enough" :)

JediMa

There are so many good options in the price tier of $200-250.
Even the Topping D50/D50S at $250 is a killer option. You have JDS with the Element DAC, Schiit has a new DAC in that price range too.
Geshelli has 2 DAC's in that price range.
All of them are chart-toppers and are more than "enough" :)
Well I was considering also to save a bit of money and so Topping E30 was an interesting option, but i'm too ignorant to understand if it's an upgrade for my SMSL M8a. I can't get Geshelli ones in italy and JDS.. well import fees kill any deal, to buy my atom i've paid so much in the end

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Well I was considering also to save a bit of money and so Topping E30 was an interesting option, but i'm too ignorant to understand if it's an upgrade for my SMSL M8a. I can't get Geshelli ones in italy and JDS.. well import fees kill any deal, to buy my atom i've paid so much in the end
It might be an upgrade but I would wait for Amir to review one first.

Top Bottom