• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

BillG

Major Contributor
It works on this older Android (LeEco LeMax 2) I've converted into a DAP, but not my new one. The volume is a bit low, but the device is rooted, and I can fix it with an edit... :p

100052031_3256662141013211_6422699789565034496_o.jpg

BillG

Major Contributor
Just a quick FYI: The dongle actually works on USB 2.0 ports as well. I've an aging Dell Optiplex 990 (desktop) that I'm using with it, and its output is controllable via Windows 10 Pro, and sounds just fine... :cool:

Untitled.png

Download.jpeg

Veri

Master Contributor
Just a quick FYI: The dongle actually works on USB 2.0 ports as well. I've an aging Dell Optiplex 990 (desktop) that I'm using with it, and its output is controllable via Windows 10 Pro, and sounds just fine... :cool:

Yep you just need W10 drivers :)

Thorskin

So did anyone ever find out if the EU version is 0.5v or 1v on Windows 10? (I keep reading conflicting results)
I just bought 1 in the UK before reading about the issue with the EU ones.
Also, will this affect me in anyway if im using a headphone amp?

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Also, will this affect me in anyway if im using a headphone amp?
It will affect the final output, yes, but it could still be fine. All depends on gain of the amp and the needs of your headphone(s).

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just read this thread and wonder if it can be used with raspberry pi / Netbook + volumio? I'm hyped on ordering this until I read that it has problem with android. I have old Samsung A7 with USB C. At least if it can run with volumio I will consider buying it.
...just in case that this has not been answered: Yes it works with volumio and R4 after reboot and soundS great. Output volume seems to be same as R4’s jacket. The dongle is even recognized by Roon when the Roon endpoint plug-in is installed.

Sinquito

It seems A2049 US version is the best price performance dac money can buy right now for windows PCs. Also ADC is much more loud compared to laptop's microphone input.

With M50, it's volume going way up to ear penetrating levels even at %50; with AKG K7XX, it is uncomfortably loud at %85.

Biggest disadvantage is its build to break level meterial quality, a little diy reinforcing took care of it.

Overall very happy with my choice.
View attachment 38007View attachment 38008

Is that heat-shrink tube? I have those in various sizes/gauges. The cable in the DAC is terrifying thin and will brake just by looking at it. How has the heat-shrink tube worked for you?

keepit100

Any suggestions where I can buy the US version from (A2049 ) ? I'm in UK, and would prefer to buy from Europe due to easier shipping. And ensure that it is A2049 , as I understand the box can be misleading. I can't seem to find it online without resorting to shipping from US/HK

L5730

Any suggestions where I can buy the US version from (A2049 ) ? I'm in UK, and would prefer to buy from Europe due to easier shipping. And ensure that it is A2049 , as I understand the box can be misleading. I can't seem to find it online without resorting to shipping from US/HK
I'd like to know to. I fear cost of shipping would make the ~£10 price more like double that.

What would be better to know is what is Apple's thinking behind crippling the EU version of this dongle? Why make a duff version?
I can't, with all respect, believe it has anything to do with EU regs. on loudness in headphones. That argument makes sense when plenty of other products produce louder levels through like-for-like earbuds/headphones.

keepit100

L5730

I thought that fix was for the US version when used on non-apple hardware.
In which case the hardware is capable but purposefully crippling itself under certain circumstances. I understand that the EU one is just not worth bothering with full-stop. It isn't capable of 1v under any circumstance - hardware not built to do it, or firmware is un-fixable.

keepit100

I thought that fix was for the US version when used on non-apple hardware.
In which case the hardware is capable but purposefully crippling itself under certain circumstances. I understand that the EU one is just not worth bothering with full-stop. It isn't capable of 1v under any circumstance - hardware not built to do it, or firmware is un-fixable.

I fear you're right. So back to square one. A cheap dongle/dac for android that has 'reasonable' sound and isn't too much of a drain on phone battery...

Veri

Master Contributor
I bought one from amazon US via proxy and still got the EU one, lol...

Sinquito

I fear you're right. So back to square one. A cheap dongle/dac for android that has 'reasonable' sound and isn't too much of a drain on phone battery...
Maybe the Samsung one? It measures almost the same and price wise is not so different.

Saidera

For $15 AUD, compared to $16 Surface/Pixel v2 adapters with Synaptics CX chip limited to 24/96 (see cabledo teardown), Apple CS46L06 is clearly better. It shows that 24/48 limit is not a deterrent - it is still good sounding and accurate. For many years this model has been around and only now have I become aware of it and tried it, based on measurements of the Lightening variant (Archimago) and USB-C (ASR)

T3RIAD

Are these measurements still accurate? I just got an Apple dongle and tried it with the Focal Utopia, which I was excited about as I thought they would be the one set of high-end headphones I could use with a phone. I did the following calculations:

Focal Utopia impedance: 80 ohms
Apple adapter power at 33 ohms: 31 mW
31 mW * (33 ohm / 80 ohm) = 12 mW

Focal Utopia sensitivity: 104 dB / mW
Max volume = 104 dB + (3 dB * log2(12)) = around 112 dB

That should be quite loud. But even when I turn the volume all the way up, the headphones are just barely listenable. I'm getting maybe 80 dB.

Anyone know what's up here? I know it seems silly to connect $4,000 headphones to a $9 DAC, and I of course have a desktop rig, but I was actually looking forward to this working. The calculations say it should but it's not.

Is the Apple adapter louder on iPhone? I'm using it with an Android phone.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Are these measurements still accurate? I just got an Apple dongle and tried it with the Focal Utopia, which I was excited about as I thought they would be the one set of high-end headphones I could use with a phone. I did the following calculations:

Focal Utopia impedance: 80 ohms
Apple adapter power at 33 ohms: 31 mW
31 mW * (33 ohm / 80 ohm) = 12 mW

Focal Utopia sensitivity: 104 dB / mW
Max volume = 104 dB + (3 dB * log2(12)) = around 112 dB

That should be quite loud. But even when I turn the volume all the way up, the headphones are just barely listenable. I'm getting maybe 80 dB.

Anyone know what's up here? I know it seems silly to connect $4,000 headphones to a $9 DAC, and I of course have a desktop rig, but I was actually looking forward to this working. The calculations say it should but it's not.

Is the Apple adapter louder on iPhone? I'm using it with an Android phone.

What model number is your Apple dongle (starting with an A and written on the cable wire of the dongle, don't trust the packaging). And what music player are you using on Android?

T3RIAD

What model number is your Apple dongle (starting with an A and written on the cable wire of the dongle, don't trust the packaging). And what music player are you using on Android?

A2049 and Amazon Music player on a Galaxy S20. I'll try using another player and see how it goes.

Top Bottom