• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C with Dirac Vs 8330A with GLM

ShadowNeko

Hi i was wondering if i should get the 8030C with a miniDSP SHD and a Rythmik F12 sub or the 8330a with GLM and their 7360a sub? I wanted to know how GLM compares to Dirac and is it worth it to be locked into the Genelec ecosystem?

OP
S

ShadowNeko

Im also considering dual subs which would make going Genelec significantly more expensive.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I haven't tried Dirac with my Genelecs, but the GLM works like a charm in calibrating the entire system at once. I have 8331+7350 and 8340. If you want to tinker and tweak, then maybe consider the Dirac setup. Otherwise I recommend the GLM setup.

TimVG

Major Contributor
I believe the 8330, apart from GLM offers 1) a slightly flatter response out of the box 2) takes care of the finicky vertical dispersion around the 2,5-3kHz crossover with its more advanced DSP filter (time aligning?)

OP
S

ShadowNeko

I believe the 8330, apart from GLM offers 1) a slightly flatter response out of the box 2) takes care of the finicky vertical dispersion around the 2,5-3kHz crossover with its more advanced DSP filter (time aligning?)
Will Dirac be able to do that as well?

OP
S

ShadowNeko

Im leaning towards Dirac but im wondering if GLM does something that Dirac doesn't?

boniek

GLM does fantastic automatic bass management with multiple genelec subs (up to 30 monitors or subwoofers total). No idea if any box supporting Dirac does this and no idea if Dirac software for PC does this. It would be best if you read GLM manual from Genelec website where you will find all the info you need. I would not get SAM monitor from Genelec if I would not be planning on getting GLM.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this really depends whether or not GLM does independent bass management of each sub differently to achieve a flat response at all measurement points the way that Dirac's future bass module does. And honestly I don't know the answer to that question. The GLM manual does not provide sufficient detail to really tell how it goes about bass management with multiple subwoofers.

That said, if you only ever plan to use a single sub, then I don't see any reason to favor Dirac. Based on the manual GLM does more or less what I'd expect including phase correction so I expect it to produce similar results. Of course it's impossible to be 100% sure without a direct comparison of the two with measurements and I've never seen that.

E: Actually I'm not even sure if the miniDSP SHD supports the bass module so maybe it's a moot point. Considering it's limited to 2 subwoofer outputs it probably doesn't.

boniek

I think this really depends whether or not GLM does independent bass management of each sub differently to achieve a flat response at all measurement points the way that Dirac's future bass module does. And honestly I don't know the answer to that question. The GLM manual does not provide sufficient detail to really tell how it goes about bass management with multiple subwoofers.
A lot more info about subs on the Genelec site in the actual sub product page https://www.genelec.com/7350a#section-downloads
I don't know that either, but I doubt this is not the case. I mean these guys install professional installations with multiple subs all the time for famous people. I would expect this is a standard feature in this environment just for time savings alone.
E: Actually I'm not even sure if the miniDSP SHD supports the bass module so maybe it's a moot point. Considering it's limited to 2 subwoofer outputs it probably doesn't.
miniDSP SHD is not and will not support Dirac sub management. That was confirmed on their forums some time ago. It would be really useful even with one sub output (automatic low/high pass, phase correction along with frequency response correction is really consumer friendly).

E: IMHO GLM has no competition at this time. Genelec system is expensive but you are getting the best there is.

Last edited:

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think this really depends whether or not GLM does independent bass management of each sub differently

I am pretty sure there was a question about multiple subs with Genelec on their forum, and there was a work-around. Something like you have to run with one sub and then the other, or one sub and then add the second. I also got the sense they were working on handling the multiple sub case within GLM. Sorry I don't have a link.

OP
S

ShadowNeko

Im mainly hesitant because of how their subs are really expensive for what you get compared to Rythmik, Funk Audio, etc.

nai

The glm has built-in data from the genelec speakers and subwoofer, which may be more accurate than the generic room correction system

OP
S

ShadowNeko

A lot more info about subs on the Genelec site in the actual sub product page https://www.genelec.com/7350a#section-downloads
I don't know that either, but I doubt this is not the case. I mean these guys install professional installations with multiple subs all the time for famous people. I would expect this is a standard feature in this environment just for time savings alone.

miniDSP SHD is not and will not support Dirac sub management. That was confirmed on their forums some time ago. It would be really useful even with one sub output (automatic low/high pass, phase correction along with frequency response correction is really consumer friendly).

E: IMHO GLM has no competition at this time. Genelec system is expensive but you are getting the best there is.
Where was this confirmed on their fourm? I was looking for a statement from minidsp for a while and couldnt find it. I think i will also only ever have a max of 2 subs.

boniek

Last edited:

boniek

Where was this confirmed on their fourm? I was looking for a statement from minidsp for a while and couldnt find it. I think i will also only ever have a max of 2 subs.
I don't have time to find those posts again, but to me it was pretty much straight forward answer. They have their own stuff for bass management which supposedly work well, but it is not one-click solution (first you do BM and then Dirac calibrates the resulting full range "virtual" speaker). Even if somehow Dirac BM were to be made available it would cost extra. If it isn't available at this point and because they never announced that shd will support DBM, more likely scenario is it will be in next generation product.

Soundspace

Hi i was wondering if i should get the 8030C with a miniDSP SHD and a Rythmik F12 sub or the 8330a with GLM and their 7360a sub? I wanted to know how GLM compares to Dirac and is it worth it to be locked into the Genelec ecosystem?
please share your findings of the last 2 years.

Top Bottom