• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone ISO Regen Review and Measurements

firedog

"Well maybe" , Is the actual statement. That's one of the best snake-oil marketing spins I hear used over and over by these guys. (crooks IMHO).
A bunch of BS is what it is, Firedog. ;)

But that is exactly what is repeated concerning these "magic boxes" over and over at CA, WBF, etc. Not only by unscrupulous marketers, but over and over by the Santa Claus believers. Honesty and integrity demand some voices of reason be raised, which is what most of the folks here are doing, not only on this site but cross-forums as you know. I'm Sal1950 here, there and everywhere. I've been banned at WBF for a couple of simple reasonable posts in support of Amirs measurements, threatened with banning at Head-Fi for the same. and censored-browbeatened at CA. They don't want to hear the truth so do their best to quiet anything in opposition to their illusionist, delusional beliefs
It's all fine and good to call it a "hobby" and infer the truth then doesn't matter, but it does. Outsiders, newbies, and the rest of the world deserve to know that all "audiophiles" aren't a bunch of lunatics. :)
I do then question that without any solid demonstrable evidence to oppose Amir's statements, why you come here in support of the subjective opinions being thrown out at CA?
Alex is more than welcome to come here personally and show us the error of our ways, but he can't because the evidence doesn't exist. He just does things like "ban" Amir from buying one in some vane and silly attempt to discredit the outcome of any real and honest measurements before they could even be done.

Will it make my system sound better? "Well maybe" is his answer.
How lame.
Well not really. I've got a relationship with Alex, he wasn't trying to BS me. You weren't part of the conversation, so you don't have any way of knowing. He has a return policy if you don't like his products. I don't think snake oil salesmen return your money if you don't like the product. And btw, I've informed him that my first impression is that his device didn't make any posititve difference in my setup.

I come here because I think there is something useful to learn here. Unfortunately, you and others have decided that Amir's testing is the final "scientific" data and all that is needed to evaluate something. I disagree. The fact that you've turned it into an article of faith b/c it backs up a belief you have anyway doesn't really impress me.

Last edited:

firedog

How would you know this unless you are an audio scientist/engineer?

But yes, there are "books" and importantly, a number of published papers on how to test DACs. I have read them all and importantly since this is an interest of mine, both professionally and personally, I have the equipment and experience to put them to practice.

Importantly, I understand the architecture of the devices under test and their electronic design. This enables me to test the hypothesis they put forward, without any verification or data I might add, and use industry standard test and professional equipment to verify the same.

At the risk if being immodest, what I write is not some hobby work. I bought one of the first Audio Precision Analyzer while I was at Sony in early 1990s. At the time HP (now Agilent/Keysight) owned the measurement/instrument market for such devices. I was examining their measurement gear when I ran into the then new start up Audio Precision that had built and instrument that went miles farther than HP had. I was managing the design of a new "workstation" and we had a major audio subsystem and I wanted to make sure it performed. In that regard, I bought the first Audio Precision analyzer at Sony.

Fast forward to when I was working at Microsoft. To incentivize PC makers to build better quality audio subsystem, Microsoft created the WHQL program where minimum measured performance was required to get credit towards their Windows OEM license. My team managed WHQL and we worked hard to raise the bar in what was atrocious standards to something half defensible. So I purchased another Audio Precision Analyzer for the team. Indeed every PC OEM would purchase an Audio Precision analyzer to show conformance with WHQL standards.

I am also an electrical engineer, both as a hobbyist dating back to 1960s and professionally (Electrical Engineering degree in 1982). And I own this $25,000 instrument personally now.

So this is not some random data you are objecting to. My measurements have been published in magazines and reviewed by countless people in the industry and research. Not once has someone reached out to me/my editor saying the measurements are wrong.

Now, mistakes happen and I love to hear about them. But please don't just create doubt about my work with nary a reason to do so other than "there are books on scientific measurements." What are those books and how do they dispute my work?

For a decade also, my signal processing team at Microsoft produced technology that was verified in controlled listening and viewing tests prior to approval. Every time you buy a Blu-ray product or practically any product that plays audio sans apple that doesn't use/implement that technology. Those companies didn't come along because they liked Microsoft. They came along because we showed we knew what we were doing against competing solutions.

So whether it is objective measurements, technology solution or subjective testing, this is what I have done professionally and personally for decades.

I hesitated to write this but then yesterday in the process of researching another product I have under test, I land on this post of yours on CA forum:

View attachment 8072

Why do you say stuff like that? What knowledge do you personally have as expressed above that I don't know how to measure correctly?

I know you don't like the data but that should not rise to creating such doubt with no data of your own.

Let the information sink in please. The world is not as you have been led to believe. I can bring an army of researchers and audio scientists that would laugh at my attempt to even measure this device let alone believe its claims as you do. We are not all idiots as compared to a bunch of users who believe the techno-marketing statements of this company which they themselves have not bothered to verify.

Good grief :).
I don't have to be an audio engineer to know that real scientific testing can be very complex. Even experienced scientists get it wrong sometimes.

As far as your testing ability, I can only say that more than one other engineer has disputed that you know how to test correctly. The people from iFi wrote a paper explaining that having an EE degree and an AP doesn't mean you know how to use it correctly. That was in reaction to your measurements.

I don't know who is correct. I don't claim to be an expert. Since I'm confronted with dueling experts, I don't believe any of you, actually. You claim expertise, someone else claims greater expertise, I'm not sure why I should believe you and not them, or vice versa.

It has nothing to do with me not liking the data. Did you not read that I wrote that I didn't think the IR did anything positive in my system?

firedog

$325 is not a trivial cost. And at any rate, cost should not be a reason to give a pass to any product. If I put vaseline in a bottle and sell it for $10 and say it grows hair, is there a reason to endorse it? And campaign against expert test data that says it doesn't do anything?

Now if you bought the device, money was no problem for you, and that was that, all would be cool. But as far as I have seen, you are a strong champion of anything made by UpTone. To the extent you have become part of their PR team, it goes well beyond the argument you are making.

Well if you have an expensive audio system that amount of money may not seem significant, especially as the device can be returned to Uptone for a refund or sold if you don't want it.

I'm not a part of their PR team; if I was I wouldn't have written that I don't think the device helped the SQ of my setup. How is that being a "strong champion"?

As I've written previously, I don't take your tests, alone, as the final word. How is that a campaign?
I'd like to see tests to confirm them from at least one more source. Sorry if that hurts your feelings, but THAT is part of how science works.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It's fairly simple, some reputable tests have been done here and if folks want to dispute the results they can but the 'right way' to go about that would be to produce some testing of their own rather than trying to undermine the credibility of the tests carried out here. ( that's not to say examination of amirs test procedures would be unwelcome of course)

No ones come here to do that, that's unfortunate but not the fault of amir or any of our members. It commendable that amir has imported a argument from else where (CA) , the points made there and cut and pasted here all seem to be of addressed.

i invite proper challenge here , there seems to be non here right now.

So far no evidence exists to challenge the premise this product is of dubious merit in the application it was designed for, neither objective based measurements or properly conducted listening tests have been published in support of this device .. if I'm wrong and they have then somebody please bring it to the table.

pinkupanda

Here comes Mr Firedog to save Uptone another day. Take a note at how he now spins around the 30 day return policy trying to convince others as soon as someone refuses to buy the ISO-R. Gotta say, Uptone has fed you very well ;) Instead of cribbing here, why don't you ask Uptone to post some meaningful data ?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well if firedog is working for Uptone he should get the sack :D

He's basically saying he has no clue whether it works or not but it's not expensive so you can try it..

WE know the fallibility of subjective listening conclusions of this kind so I'd recommend steering clear based on the evidence being presented here.

Give the $300 to a veterans charity instead.

firedog

Here comes Mr Firedog to save Uptone another day. Take a note at how he now spins around the 30 day return policy trying to convince others as soon as someone refuses to buy the ISO-R. Gotta say, Uptone has fed you very well ;) Instead of cribbing here, why don't you ask Uptone to post some meaningful data ?

Amazing how your own prejudices color your ability to understand what you read.

I was told that Alex of Uptone is selling "snake oil", and that $325 is not a trivial amount of money. The reference to the return policy was in response. I don't know of people who are knowingly selling snake oil who will return your money if you don't like the product. I do know for a fact that Alex has done this in a few cases. That means nothing in terms of whether the product actually does what is claimed for it; I think it does exempt it from the category of "snake oil".

And if I can return the product for a refund if I don't like it, then the purchase price is trivial, unless the original cost of the product is critical to my cash flow. Thankfully, in my case, it isn't. If the product cost 3X that amount, it would probably be an issue for me.

I'm not under the slightest illusion that I'm going to convince someone here to buy the IR. Nor have I tried to. Please show me, other than in your own mind, where I did so.

You are as free as me to ask Uptone to post data. Go ahead.

You really don't have to call me "Mr."; firedog will do.

firedog

Well if firedog is working for Uptone he should get the sack :D

He's basically saying he has no clue whether it works or not but it's not expensive so you can try it..

WE know the fallibility of subjective listening conclusions of this kind so I'd recommend steering clear based on the evidence being presented here.

Give the $300 to a veterans charity instead.

Thanks for staying objective. Note that the nasty posts keep coming.

My approach to the audio hobby is that I'm willing to try all sorts of things that sound interesting to me as long as the risk is fairly low - maybe $500 max. Not something I do everyday, but occasionally. I don't live in a place where it is easy or even possible for me to audition many items - I either hear them at home or not at all.

So, I've bought over the years, just for fun, let's see: a couple of passive preamps, a few USB devices, a classD power amp (when I'd never heard one before), a DAC, a tube pre, a room correction pre. an ethernet>USB renderer, a few SB players (different models); a couple of linear PS, a digital reclocker, and a few other things I probably can't think of at the moment. Price Range per item: $50 to $500.

None of them had existing third party measurements that proved to me before hand they would be good.

I either kept them or sold them on the used market. Lost a little money, but learned something about equipment and what I like or don't like from each one. Part of the fun of the hobby for me.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Thanks for staying objective. Note that the nasty posts keep coming.
Thanks, it's my only ambition here and tbh it's my job lol

Well, you seem to have been elected as some kind of emissary for Alex of uptone by some of our members. They probably hear you talking about the return policy and the cynic in them think your using that as a ploy to legitimise purchasing what they consider to be a product of little value other than to promote the bank balance of uptone.

Personally I don't care, I'm just intrested in the evidence .

I'm not sure how your position of ' I don't know' has caused so much back and forth but there you go. Some times we just talk ( write) for the sake of our own egotism imo .

While your position of ' I don't know' is perfectly reasonable, it's not of huge significance to this debate in terms of moving the conversation on so probably time for everyone to move on from discussing it. ( hey, a man/moderator can have his dreams damn it :D)

Superdad

Audio Company

Superdad

Audio Company
Importantly, I understand the architecture of the devices under test and their electronic design.

Apparently not.

Not once has someone reached out to me/my editor saying the measurements are wrong.

Maybe they have and you just ignore or dismiss them.

We are not all idiots as compared to a bunch of users who believe the techno-marketing statements of this company which they themselves have not bothered to verify.
Good grief.

Really? You call a whole swath of rather sophisticated audiophile idiots? And what do you know about what we have or have not verified about our products? That 15 minute chat by the elevator at RMAF two years ago? Good grief indeed!

--Alex Crespi
UpTone Audio LLC

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Fyi we are in mount Rainer national park enjoying amazing bloom of wild flowers. Alas we only have slow internet at campground where I am typing this on phone. We are about to leave to see more so please don't read anything into slow response.

Alex welcome to the forum. Would you kindly post your techincal/engineering background until I get back? Thanks much.

pinkupanda

I was told that Alex of Uptone is selling "snake oil", and that $325 is not a trivial amount of money. The reference to the return policy was in response. I don't know of people who are knowingly selling snake oil who will return your money if you don't like the product. I do know for a fact that Alex has done this in a few cases. That means nothing in terms of whether the product actually does what is claimed for it; I think it does exempt it from the category of "snake oil".

The expectation bias on anything over a CA is so strong that any sponsors at CA need not worry about returns. Its not happening. A handful of folks like here who would objectively return it the manufacturer don't loose their sleep over it. There are folks that believe (including myself) the end result is what matters the most and their are folks who believe subjective listening. Nobody is wrong but I did see a desperation of your repeated attempt to sell uptone products though it may not be your intention.

You are as free as me to ask Uptone to post data. Go ahead.

I don't need to. If a manufacturer doesn't by himself, there is no need to ask. Beside Amir has the results :)

Anyway these discussions are not what this forum is all about. If Amir's data is wrong then somebody will need to prove it with counter data. It is as simple as that, I think :)

You really don't have to call me "Mr."; firedog will do.

Fair enough! :)

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The expectation bias on anything over a CA is so strong that any sponsors at CA need not worry about returns. Its not happening. A handful of folks like here who would objectively return it the manufacturer don't loose their sleep over it. There are folks that believe (including myself) the end result is what matters the most and their are folks who believe subjective listening. Nobody is wrong but I did see a desperation of your repeated attempt to sell uptone products though it may not be your intention.

I don't need to. If a manufacturer doesn't by himself, there is no need to ask. Beside Amir has the results :)

Anyway these discussions are not what this forum is all about. If Amir's data is wrong then somebody will need to prove it with counter data. It is as simple as that, I think :)

Fair enough! :)
You can call me 'Mr Thomas savage' though, Iv not felt important for some time and that would really help :D

Old Listener

Fyi we are in Mount Rainer national park enjoying amazing bloom of wild flowers. Alas we only have slow internet at campground where I am typing this on phone. We are about to leave to see more so please don't read anything into slow response.

My wife and I were in Mt. Rainier NP (for most of 3 days) a few days ago photographing wildflowers. Lovely meadows and most of the species were new to us as SF bay area residents.

I've got about 2500 photos to ID and edit from the entire trip.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Alex welcome to the forum. Would you kindly post your techincal/engineering background until I get back? Thanks much.
Amir,
You are clearly not keeping up with modern developments in engineering. Modern engineers are now trained to be "socially connected" and must focus on "de-centering Western Civilization." So I'll caution you that your objectiveness will need to be voted on by a diverse groupthink machine before it can be approved. Here's your daily engineeeeing update:
https://www.jamesgmartin.center/201...social-engineering-rather-actual-engineering/

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The money back guarantee is the audio snake oil salesman's best friend. A great spin to make the product purchase initially seem like a safe bet.

Uptones 30 days?
But you need long term listening to become alert to the changes in sound.
That's why blind AB tests are useless to hear the audiophool tell it.

Publicly admitting a return due to failure to hear a benefit would only expose the customer to ridicule for not have the necessary quality gear or listening power.
Even admitting the same only to yourself would be upsetting. All the guys on CA say the improvements are not subtle, there MUST be something wrong with me. Better just hold on to this thing till I can figure my personal failures out.
And the list goes on and on why people never return items they bought that aren't worth a Schitt.
All the While the con man says "try it you'll like it", secure in the fact the only a VERY minor number will ever return an item unless it arrived DOB. And the tiny number that do are more than absorbed by huge profit margins

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The money back guarantee is the audio snake oil salesman's best friend. A great spin to make the product purchase initially seem like a safe bet.

Uptones 30 days?
But you need long term listening to become alert to the changes in sound.
That's why blind AB tests are useless to hear the audiophool tell it.

Even though I'm skeptical I wouldn't ascribe all this to a 30 day return policy. That's just the nature of retail, especially online.

Top Bottom