• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Finally word has arrived from JBL (Jokers ,Blaggers and Liar's) about my delayed order.. ( from April lol)

Hi

Unfortunately your order has been delayed. Sincere apologies for the inconvenience this must be causing. The UK distributors have indicated that we can expect the new stock to arrive mid to late July.

SPFC

Finally word has arrived from JBL (Jokers ,Blaggers and Liar's) about my delayed order.. ( from April lol)

Hi

Unfortunately your order has been delayed. Sincere apologies for the inconvenience this must be causing. The UK distributors have indicated that we can expect the new stock to arrive mid to late July.
Did they say July of what year?:)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My Salon2's got in yesterday but it'll probably be this weekend before I can pick them up. :(
Wow, congratulations! if nothing else, from here on you will have a reference point when you read my fidelity statements :).

12B4A

The shipment date for my order got pushed back another week from the 6/19 date. Anyone else get the same? I'm starting to suspect quality control issues instead of inability to get parts as the reason for these delays. That seems to be the most charitable speculation at this point.

That last time with the 7i series launch bungle, the most plausible explanation I saw was they were filling orders from large pro studios first before filling consumer orders. That made sense since the 7 series genesis was fulfilling the requirements for a large, single order for a major broadcast studio. I'm not sure that's the case here since the 7P distribution goal seems to be more commercial-off-the-shelf focused.

Last edited:

12B4A

Yeah my dealer told me they will be shipped later this week. I'll sort of believe it if I see a tracking number and I'll fully believe it if I am unboxing them next week. Apparently Sweetwater gets a higher priority than us mfers who pre-ordered back in Feb.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Does anyone know how the 705p and 708p work in a multi channel setup over Ethernet? I saw a short video on the sweetwater and it seems like that's possible. I'm not sure whether there would need to be an outboard processor to handle that setup tho.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yeah my dealer told me they will be shipped later this week. I'll sort of believe it if I see a tracking number and I'll fully believe it if I am unboxing them next week. Apparently Sweetwater gets a higher priority than us mfers who pre-ordered back in Feb.
sell.jpeg

12B4A

Got my 705Ps in before the weekend. Anyone else get theirs yet?

12B4A

One thing that didn't really occur to me about them before acquisition is the thermals. There is a 250Wx2 chip in it plus the DSP/DAC so each one is putting out a just little less heat at idle than a cheapy 100Wx5 receiver. I'm definitely going to implement a remote power switching system because turning them all on/off is starting to feel a little too much like a 1st world problem.

It also appears they removed the ability in the software to turn off the front LEDs in addition to not being able to adjust the rear LCD brightness. Gaffer's tape fixes those issues but o_O

I did get to play around with the EQ filters and my first pass with it implementing REWs generated generic EQ off of a moving mic measurement seemed alright but didn't quite hit the targets. I think that's more of a operator error though. Using an Audyssey32 receiver, I got phase error warnings so I guess the amp/dsp may be inverting absolute phase.

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One thing that didn't really occur to me about them before acquisition is the thermals. There is a 250Wx2 chip in it plus the DSP/DAC so each one is putting out a just little less heat at idle than a cheapy 100Wx5 receiver. I'm definitely going to implement a remote power switching system because turning them all on/off is starting to feel a little too much like a 1st world problem.

It also appears they removed the ability in the software to turn off the front LEDs in addition to not being able to adjust the rear LCD brightness. Gaffer's tape fixes those issues but o_O

I did get to play around with the EQ filters and my first pass with it implementing REWs generated generic EQ off of a moving mic measurement seemed alright but didn't quite hit the targets. I think that's more of a operator error though. Using an Audyssey32 receiver, I got phase error warnings so I guess the amp/dsp may be inverting absolute phase.

How does the eq work? Is there a room mic involved?

Tim

12B4A

Basically, there are 12 parametric EQ filters you can use and the parameters (freq, gain, Q) are all input manually via the scroll wheel on the back. There are also additional manually configured high and low shelf filters you can enable. You're on your own on how to measure, analyze, and determine how the filters are configured.

12B4A

Little 5" speakers have no right producing this amount of lower bass. There's usable extension to the mid 30s. That's probably what's going to be the salient characteristic people will notice about these speakers at first. As one gets settled in to listening it becomes more apparent that clarity and precision is really what these are about. Keep in mind my experience with other speakers is fairly limited. I'm a long time Magnepan fan, had Newform ribbons for a decade, and was made to question the wisdom in my previous purchasing decisions by trying LSR305s on a lark. In relation to those, these are quite a bit more refined and more sturdily built.

SPFC

Little 5" speakers have no right producing this amount of lower bass. There's usable extension to the mid 30s. That's probably what's going to be the salient characteristic people will notice about these speakers at first. As one gets settled in to listening it becomes more apparent that clarity and precision is really what these are about. Keep in mind my experience with other speakers is fairly limited. I'm a long time Magnepan fan, had Newform ribbons for a decade, and was made to question the wisdom in my previous purchasing decisions by trying LSR305s on a lark. In relation to those, these are quite a bit more refined and more sturdily built.

Great news! Please keep the feedback coming. Hopefully soon others will receive theirs and will also share their feedback.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom