• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stream Music Directly Into Your Brain?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Class D vs Class AB vs Tubes

They'll still be stuff to argue about. It's completely possible for something like that work but still "sound" or measure terribly. Besides the inevitable endless firmware issues, whatever electronics end up stimulating your nerves are still analog circuits and will need their performance characterized in similar ways.

We'll need a fundraiser so Amir can afford the appropriate AP and Klippel plugins. :)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Until we find out how it's supposed to work we won't know how it needs to be characterised, and we'll have a whole new round of 'how does variation X affect perception of sound' unless they've found a way to reliably measure the perception itself.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/703801v4

"An integrated brain-machine interface platform with thousands of channels

Brain-machine interfaces (BMIs) hold promise for the restoration of sensory and motor function and the treatment of neurological disorders, but clinical BMIs have not yet been widely adopted, in part because modest channel counts have limited their potential.

In this white paper, we describe Neuralink’s first steps toward a scalable high-bandwidth BMI system. We have built arrays of small and flexible electrode “threads”, with as many as 3,072 electrodes per array distributed across 96 threads.

We have also built a neurosurgical robot capable of inserting six threads (192 electrodes) per minute. Each thread can be individually inserted into the brain with micron precision for avoidance of surface vasculature and targeting specific brain regions.

The electrode array is packaged into a small implantable device that contains custom chips for low-power on-board amplification and digitization: the package for 3,072 channels occupies less than (23 × 18.5 × 2) mm3.

A single USB-C cable provides full-bandwidth data streaming from the device, recording from all channels simultaneously.

This system has achieved a spiking yield of up to 70% in chronically implanted electrodes. Neuralink’s approach to BMI has unprecedented packaging density and scalability in a clinically relevant package."

Full paper: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/703801v4.full.pdf

cjm2077

Tesla Engineers: "This car will be able to vary speed based on the vehicles around it, and in limited conditions handle driving tasks, even providing somewhat reliable emergency stopping if a driver is unaware of conditions."

Elon Musk: "My car is artificially intelligent and completely capable of driving itself. Did you ever see Knight Rider? It's basically KITT, but not a crap Pontiac."

Neuralink scientists: "We can restore limited senses to human beings through a complex and expensive process."

Elon Musk: "Did you ever see that Matrix movie? We can totally do that."

OP
L

levimax

Major Contributor
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/703801v4

"An integrated brain-machine interface platform with thousands of channels

Brain-machine interfaces (BMIs) hold promise for the restoration of sensory and motor function and the treatment of neurological disorders, but clinical BMIs have not yet been widely adopted, in part because modest channel counts have limited their potential.

In this white paper, we describe Neuralink’s first steps toward a scalable high-bandwidth BMI system. We have built arrays of small and flexible electrode “threads”, with as many as 3,072 electrodes per array distributed across 96 threads.

We have also built a neurosurgical robot capable of inserting six threads (192 electrodes) per minute. Each thread can be individually inserted into the brain with micron precision for avoidance of surface vasculature and targeting specific brain regions.

The electrode array is packaged into a small implantable device that contains custom chips for low-power on-board amplification and digitization: the package for 3,072 channels occupies less than (23 × 18.5 × 2) mm3.

A single USB-C cable provides full-bandwidth data streaming from the device, recording from all channels simultaneously.

This system has achieved a spiking yield of up to 70% in chronically implanted electrodes. Neuralink’s approach to BMI has unprecedented packaging density and scalability in a clinically relevant package."

Full paper: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/703801v4.full.pdf

Just think how much better the music would "sound" with 6,144 electrodes per array

Silly Valley

Forum Donor
With so many concerned about foreign state hackers, big brother and various other threats, I don't see the masses rushing to get their chip implants. Yes, we are gradually becoming a society of drones but I hope this does not happen in my lifetime. The technical aspects will be minuscule in comparison to the social implications.

D

Deleted member 2944

This reminds me of the movie "Brainstorm" from many years ago. :)
If you haven't seen it, it's a lot of fun. Right into the noodle.

Dave.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tesla Engineers: "This car will be able to vary speed based on the vehicles around it, and in limited conditions handle driving tasks, even providing somewhat reliable emergency stopping if a driver is unaware of conditions."

Elon Musk: "My car is artificially intelligent and completely capable of driving itself. Did you ever see Knight Rider? It's basically KITT, but not a crap Pontiac."

Neuralink scientists: "We can restore limited senses to human beings through a complex and expensive process."

Elon Musk: "Did you ever see that Matrix movie? We can totally do that."
Plus you don't have to dialog with William Daniels to drive it.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
will I be able to upgrade it to use Russian tubes?

Nango

Major Contributor

cjm2077

With so many concerned about foreign state hackers, big brother and various other threats, I don't see the masses rushing to get their chip implants. Yes, we are gradually becoming a society of drones but I hope this does not happen in my lifetime. The technical aspects will be minuscule in comparison to the social implications.

The masses already give up everything the government or a private company would want to know about them just to get decent directions, post 8 second videos of themselves dancing, and play video games so they won't be bored for 5 minutes while they wait for something. I don't think implanting chips in their brain is going to give most people pause if the company promises them convenience.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last time I looked, my ears were already streaming music directly into my brain.

Top Bottom