• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
dongle's now discontinued :(

Sinquito

Actually the first seller cancelled my order. I assume that he didn't have it in stock. I tried to purchase another, but it was pretty scarced (on AliExpress). Finally I found a seller that had it and express shipping wasn't crazy expensive (some sellers were charging over 50 USD just for express shipping).

It should be delivered this week according to DHL. Hopefully it will work flawelessly on my Galaxy S20.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This Clipthat Amazon ad reviews section has a remarcably similar dashboard and readings, don't you think? :)
Shameless photoshopping!

Clipthat.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor

lystor

I have received two MEIZU Hifi Pro.
Awesome device.
I like it more than Hidizs S8 (Tempotec Sonata HD Pro) / Zorloo Ztella MQA / Zorloo Ztella because I have problems with them in Windows 10.

Veri

Master Contributor
Awesome device.
I like it more than Hidizs S8 (Tempotec Sonata HD Pro) / Zorloo Ztella MQA / Zorloo Ztella because I have problems with them in Windows 10.
I really, really like the meizu dongle too :D Only negative is that sound sometimes(rarely) breaks up. due to synchronous transfer (not async).

milus

Awesome device.

@lystor
Would you mind telling where did you get it from?
I thought it was discontinued.

Last edited:

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
I got from here but looks like only standard version available - but a bargain! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000375291843.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.5f711bfdyqDEFd

Yeah I did fairly thorough Aliexpress search on the weekend and came up blank for the Pro. Last remaining sources seem to be on eBay for over $50 and Giztop for $40 plus postage. I went for latter option - hope Giztop comes through (seems to have same mixed reviews as Banggood, Gearbest et al).

mslim

I thought DAC didn't make much difference to the sound but this Meizu Pro I must say doesn't sound good.

Using on Xiaomi Note 7, playing audiophile vocal FLAC via build-in 3.5mm jack vs USB-C Meizu Pro, both using USB Audioplayer pro. IEM - AKG tuned Samsung IEM. The Meizu sounds nasally (for female vocal) and 'boxy'. I can't believe myself trying to describe the difference having previously frown upon this. A bit more high pitch also in the higher frequency compared with the build in 3.5mm jack.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought DAC didn't make much difference to the sound but this Meizu Pro I must say doesn't sound good.

Using on Xiaomi Note 7, playing audiophile vocal FLAC via build-in 3.5mm jack vs USB-C Meizu Pro, both using USB Audioplayer pro. IEM - AKG tuned Samsung IEM. The Meizu sounds nasally (for female vocal) and 'boxy'. I can't believe myself trying to describe the difference having previously frown upon this. A bit more high pitch also in the higher frequency compared with the build in 3.5mm jack.

How did you ensure volumes were matched between the 2 devices ?

mslim

How did you ensure volumes were matched between the 2 devices ?

Plug in USB-C dongle, play music; unplug the 3.5mm from the 3.5mm end, plug in native 3.5mm and play. Vice versa. I guess that's all. The immediate difference was apparently. I have no idea what the output impedances are for each and their effects. The ? tonality/ ? timbre changed. I'll try a bit more this few days but I dread describing how they sound. Better to just say better or worse than native.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Plug in USB-C dongle, play music; unplug the 3.5mm from the 3.5mm end, plug in native 3.5mm and play. Vice versa. I guess that's all. The immediate difference was apparently. I have no idea what the output impedances are for each and their effects. The ? tonality/ ? timbre changed. I'll try a bit more this few days but I dread describing how they sound. Better to just say better or worse than native.

In no way shape or form will that be level matched. You're not comparing apples with apples. I guarantee if you measured the outputs electronically from both outputs using a test tone, there would be a noteable difference. You need to be within a fraction of a dB to really compare. Whole dBs off and you're potentially in a whole different ball game

Sinquito

Most likely you are now hearing the real tunning of the Samsung earbuds. Those are not good sounding iems, imho, I had have the ones from the S8 and S10 and never liked them. Get some Etymotic if you want reference sound (ER4SR/ER2SE).

Top Bottom