• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Difference between Audyssey Multeq VS Multeq XT Vs Multeq XT32

domisol24

Are the three a lot different?(perceptible difference)
Description says they differ by their filter resolution but I want to know whether it actually means something.

MarkyM

For me, in my non-optimal room, the difference between my old Denon 3808ci that had XT vs. my current x3400h that has XT32 was night and day. XT32 has vastly superior ability in correcting the bass region especially.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1595161953255.png

XT32 also changes the allocation of the filters, XT and below do way too much correction in the treble, XT32 puts most of the filters in the bass/midrange.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I've seen of comparisons, I would not buy anything without XT 32. The others just don't do anything useful. Here's a comparison of corrections from AVSForum, you can see XT does practically nothing in bass.

0ca93179_2ndgraph.jpeg

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What am I missing there? The XT is in blue and XT32 is in red/green right? The blue line seems more smooth below 500Hz, almost to the point of seeming like there is more smoothing of the data. But above a few kHz it almost seems like the data is less smoothed.
Sincerely, Confused by that Data.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What am I missing there? The XT is in blue and XT32 is in red/green right? The blue line seems more smooth below 500Hz, almost to the point of seeming like there is more smoothing of the data. But above a few kHz it almost seems like the data is less smoothed.
Sincerely, Confused by that Data.

The graph is the corrections made by the software -- not measured speakers. Note at the top it's labeled "Center pre-out" -- what was being measured was the output directly from the AVRs.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, I definitely thought that was final result e.g. speaker out.
Ah, so this is the filter compensation, so no correction would be flat at 70dB? Or at least that roughly looks like the average to me.
It also seems like XT is kind of making a mess of things in the high frequency area too; making a bunch of very small very high q corrections. Which is what MZKM was saying.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I definitely thought that was final result e.g. speaker out.
Ah, so this is the filter compensation, so no correction would be flat at 70dB? Or at least that roughly looks like the average to me.
It also seems like XT is kind of making a mess of things in the high frequency area too; making a bunch of very small very high q corrections. Which is what MZKM was saying.

Correct, there's no situation where that MultEQ XT bass correction would be useful. Everybody has some significant dips and peaks, even if you have 4 subwoofers perfectly placed. And yes, the high frequency correction is crap too. MultEQ XT does basically the opposite of what is useful -- low Q, slight corrections in bass, and high Q in the highs.

Amir reviewed MultEQ XT 32 with the app here and you can see it produces good results.

OP
D

domisol24

From what I've seen of comparisons, I would not buy anything without XT 32. The others just don't do anything useful. Here's a comparison of corrections from AVSForum, you can see XT does practically nothing in bass.

0ca93179_2ndgraph.jpeg
Do you know about the difference between MultEq and MultEq XT?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know about the difference between MultEq and MultEq XT?

I have never seen a test of the basic MultEQ. Given that XT does hardly anything useful(maybe even harmful) and the MultEQ filter resolution is even worse based on the table above, I would say MultEQ may not even be worth enabling at all lol.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have never seen a test of the basic MultEQ. Given that XT does hardly anything useful(maybe even harmful) and the MultEQ filter resolution is even worse based on the table above, I would say MultEQ may not even be worth enabling at all lol.
So, why waste the time "testing" it at all?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, why waste the time "testing" it at all?

Agree, I don't think there is any point testing basic MultEQ. I was just saying I hadn't seen one in case of any followup question asking for data. :)

GalZohar

0ca93179_2ndgraph.jpeg
Have you tried it also with subwoofer?
Recent video from Audioholics mentioned that XT still should have good resolution for the subwoofer channel. I wonder how much it differs from XT32, as I've never seen it being compared - Only comparisons I've seen were for the speakers. If the subwoofer is equalized with reasonable resolution that makes the gap between XT and XT32 somewhat smaller when a crossover of 80Hz (or higher) is used.

I've also noticed my subwoofer get some useful EQ from XT. However it's still far from flat with major peaks at 21Hz and 27Hz, and after EQ which reduces those a bit the hole at 25Hz (between the peaks) becomes a dip. I was wondering if XT32 would do a better job here as well, or if it has the same resultion as XT for the subwoofer channel. The Audioholics video wasn't clear regarding whether XT has "equal" or just "not extremely low" filter resolution for the subwoofer channel.

See 46:50:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried it also with subwoofer?
Recent video from Audioholics mentioned that XT still should have good resolution for the subwoofer channel.

No need for videos, the chart is clear, XT32 has much more resolution in all channels than the other types. And EQ of bass frequencies above an 80 or 100hz crossover IS still very important as well. Also, that comparison was from AVSForum -- I don't own anything with less than XT32 and I wouldn't recommend buying lesser levels to anybody either.

GalZohar

No need for videos, the chart is clear, XT32 has much more resolution in all channels than the other types. And EQ of bass frequencies above an 80 or 100hz crossover IS still very important as well. Also, that comparison was from AVSForum -- I don't own anything with less than XT32 and I wouldn't recommend buying lesser levels to anybody either.
While the table probably doesn't tell the whole story, it also shows that the gap in the subwoofer channel is smaller than the other channels.

If I had to buy a new one obviously I'd buy one with XT32. But deciding if to take the trouble to swap my XT to XT32 is not as easy of a decision. Especially with stock issues and my X2700h having the HDMI 2.1 bug making it a bit more difficult to sell.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I had to buy a new one obviously I'd buy one with XT32. But deciding if to take the trouble to swap my XT to XT32 is not as easy of a decision. Especially with stock issues and my X2700h having the HDMI 2.1 bug making it a bit more difficult to sell.

In that case I wouldn't necessarily be in any rush. The Onkyo TX-NR7100 has Dirac around the same price point, which is definitely a lot better than MultEQ XT. Assuming it works correctly -- I haven't seen many reports of use so far. And stock issues are a double edged sword, they mean higher used prices as well.

Ruspamen

In that case I wouldn't necessarily be in any rush. The Onkyo TX-NR7100 has Dirac around the same price point, which is definitely a lot better than MultEQ XT. Assuming it works correctly -- I haven't seen many reports of use so far. And stock issues are a double edged sword, they mean higher used prices as well.
The main difference between XT and xt32 is on the low frequencies or are there evident improvements also on the high frequencies?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The main difference between XT and xt32 is on the low frequencies or are there evident improvements also on the high frequencies?

XT makes the most aggressive corrections in higher frequencies, while doing very little in bass, which is the exact opposite of what you want. You can see this in the graph above pretty clearly.

Ruspamen

XT makes the most aggressive corrections in higher frequencies, while doing very little in bass, which is the exact opposite of what you want. You can see this in the graph above pretty clearly.
I understand, so in addition to not acting on the bass it also leads to a distortion of the sound on the high frequencies due to the excessive eq applied?
Thanks for all the information

Ruspamen

this is the eq applied to the subwoofer, multeq XT of my denon avp A1 HD, the blue without audyssey, the red with audyssey on. It seems to me that it does a good job on the low frequencies, eliminating that huge spike or am I wrong?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1631734669891.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631734669891.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,401
Top Bottom