• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And here is vertical:
index.php

Unlike the more expensive Genelecs with coaxial drivers, vertical directivity is not nearly as good but this is very typical. We have rather large variations with that single "eye" above our axis so try to stay more or less at the tweeter height (or tilt it up so it points at you).
Measurement axis is the recommended upper part of the woofer ring, not my usual tweeter axis.
Seeing as how the hot red in the treble is below 0-degrees, maybe you didn't go low enough (maybe caused by being so close).

Looking at my vertical graph:
index.php

-10-degrees fills in that 2-4kHz region while keeping the upper treble basically the same. I would wager the Spinorama would look reference quality if it was re-measured, and the preference rating would be even a bit higher.

I mean, I don't wanna make more work for you, but...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 3.30.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 3.30.59 PM.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Noticing how the dark red is shelved down below 0-degrees in the treble, I decided to look at the manual, and it states the acoustic axis is the midpoint:
I set the reference axis to where they show in the manual. I noted that in the review. Do you mean something else I am not following?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I set the reference axis to where they show in the manual. I noted that in the review. Do you mean something else I am not following?
I edited my comment, I think you didn't go low enough. Because the dip fills in real nicely at -10 degrees (there are some issues ~5kHz, so maybe -5 degrees).

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I edited my comment, I think you didn't go low enough. Because the dip fills in real nicely at -10 degrees (there are some issues ~5kHz, so maybe -5 degrees).
Well, that is not a CAD drawing. :) So no way to set anything that precise. Nor would it be appropriate to mandate such.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
On second thought, this speaker does not have a straight angle anywhere. So it was very hard to align and position. I used the included rubber feet so maybe the angle was off or something.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm , could you report how is the sound on the desktop with the Desktop 160 Hz -4dB setting?

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Reading this review was an emotional experience for me… my main system has been running Genelec 8030As for almost 10 years! Glad to see another confirmation that I made the right choice.

I have added the Genelec 8030C to Loudspeaker Explorer where it can be compared to other speakers.

This speaker shows surprising instability within the listening window at 3 kHz, especially in the vertical direction. Keep these speakers at ear height! The rest of the spectrum is impeccable though:

Loudspeaker Explorer chart(12).png

On second thought, this speaker does not have a straight angle anywhere. So it was very hard to align and position. I used the included rubber feet so maybe the angle was off or something.

That might explain the issues around 3 kHz - as shown above, the speaker seems to be very sensitive to positioning in that region. It's not hard to imagine that even a slight offset could have flattened that curve (or make it worse). However I agree that no user should be expected to be this precise (especially for a nearfield speaker), so it's fair to judge the speaker on these terms.

(By the way, thank you @amirm for taking reference axis considerations into account when measuring this speaker! It made quite a difference in this case. Much appreciated.)

Last edited:

AndrewDavis

I am not surprised in the least that Genelec products do very well. Happy to see my pre-existing bias survived testing!!

gr-e

Did you find out how to change the reference axis? Or are you just changing the expansion point?

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the review. I'm currently using these as surround speakers in my gaming room. One nitpick is that I can hear the tweeter hiss from 5 feet away whereas the 8341A is near silent from same distance. For a general desktop speaker I'd prefer something quieter, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
Great review as always @amirm
Completely reflects my own experience as an owner of the 8030C, and also several Revels including the M105. Still remember my mono evaluation of the pair and how well they both did.
20200719_225209.jpg

I also noticed (and measured) the dip, I remember trumpets especially sounding a bit less 'present' than on the Revels, but in turn, the Genelecs did other things better. There was no real loser.

The Genelec's on-axis and listening window are so close to one another that just 6 small filters make it as flat as a pancake. I'll be trying these out tomorrow myself.

1595192537843.png

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One nitpick is that I can hear the tweeter hiss from 5 feet away whereas the 8341A is near silent from same distance. For a general desktop speaker I'd prefer something quieter, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

Five feet away? Yikes - that's a deal-breaker IMHO. @amirm , did you hear tweeter hiss like that from the unit you tested?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Thanks for the review. I'm currently using these as surround speakers in my gaming room. One nitpick is that I can hear the tweeter hiss from 5 feet away whereas the 8341A is near silent from same distance. For a general desktop speaker I'd prefer something quieter, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.
Are you sure it's not the source? Do you have the input gain at its minimum? Personally, I can't hear anything past 1 m and I'm still young. At 50 cm, there's something, but I barely hear it unless I point an ear directly at it.
Both the 8341A and 8030C are specced at < 5 dB(A) at 1 m, which would indicate not too much difference between both models.

Top Bottom