• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Zerohour

It seems to be a widespread issue with Windows 10. And something about this DAC makes it more susceptible to dropouts. I have zero dropouts on the same laptop with my other three dacs, just this one.

Truth be told, I'd love a firmware/driver that allows more control over it in Windows, I especially want to disable the impedance detector or even the sleep function (it pops every time it comes off sleep and get an audio signal, which is a bit annoying for powered speakers).

Zarniwoop

Truth be told, I'd love a firmware/driver that allows more control over it in Windows, I especially want to disable the impedance detector or even the sleep function (it pops every time it comes off sleep and get an audio signal, which is a bit annoying for powered speakers).

Yep, the impedance detector is a total pain. Why do they implement this? I'll decide how much power my headphones need thank you. I've never enountered a sleep function with this device, not on Windows anyway. Is that on Android?

Zerohour

Yep, the impedance detector is a total pain. Why do they implement this? I'll decide how much power my headphones need thank you. I've never enountered a sleep function with this device, not on Windows anyway. Is that on Android?

Using it on Windows, not really sure if its actually a "sleep function" or just an issue with popping, though it doesn't happen with headphones/IEM (as far as I can tell), only on speakers.

Orange

I have IEMs and this thing has killed my sanity. A short while ago, I started getting the popping issue as well. Then, recently, I've noticed VERY bad peaking or distortion or something like that. It's just a bunch of random noises, pops, clicks, tinny peaks of static, etc. Also, why the hell does the Belkin lightning to lighting + 3.5mm seem to sound better than this and my Fiio E10K.

Veri

Master Contributor

holicst

Hi,

I've received my Tempotec Sonata HD Pro a few days ago. I had problems with it from the beginning and now I'm pretty sure the device has a connection problem. The issue is that it gets disconnected from the source whenever I barely move the device and it very often does not connect to the device (I have the headphone connected to it before plugging into the source). I have tested different devices (Huawei P30 Pro, Samsung S8, my PC and my Windows laptop), different Android Apps (USB Audio Player Pro, HiBy Music) and another cable besides the stock cable, and it did not help. So I believe the USB input part of the device may be faulty. When the connection is finally established, the device sounds great!

Do you think I can do anything with it or shall I ask for replacement (and wait until 2021 to get the new one...)?

Thanks!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I've received my Tempotec Sonata HD Pro a few days ago. I had problems with it from the beginning and now I'm pretty sure the device has a connection problem. The issue is that it gets disconnected from the source whenever I barely move the device and it very often does not connect to the device (I have the headphone connected to it before plugging into the source). I have tested different devices (Huawei P30 Pro, Samsung S8, my PC and my Windows laptop), different Android Apps (USB Audio Player Pro, HiBy Music) and another cable besides the stock cable, and it did not help. So I believe the USB input part of the device may be faulty. When the connection is finally established, the device sounds great!

Do you think I can do anything with it or shall I ask for replacement (and wait until 2021 to get the new one...)?

Thanks!
Definitely refund/replace.

Orange

Hi,

Thanks!
You should just refund it, It's not something that seems to have anywhere near reliable QC. Mine has popping, clipping, and distortion, as well as a picky USB input. And most of that didn't show up untu8il weeks after I got it. luckily, amazon is generous with returns and I sent it back a day before the time limit lol. I've heard that the Apple USB-c to 3.5mm adapter is basically the HD Pro but made by apple, in that it's dirt cheap and over-preforming.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should just refund it, It's not something that seems to have anywhere near reliable QC. Mine has popping, clipping, and distortion, as well as a picky USB input. And most of that didn't show up untu8il weeks after I got it. luckily, amazon is generous with returns and I sent it back a day before the time limit lol.

I own two of them. Neither have problems. Since Amazon has free returns on it, not hard to get a 2nd one to try.

I've heard that the Apple USB-c to 3.5mm adapter is basically the HD Pro but made by apple, in that it's dirt cheap and over-preforming.

Amir's measurements of the HIDISZ S8/Sonata HD Pro and the Apple USB-C dongle definitively show these are not the same.

Orange

I own two of them. Neither have problems. Since Amazon has free returns on it, not hard to get a 2nd one to try.
I was just speaking from my own experience. I'm glad you and plenty of other people are able to vouch for the product, but I, and a few others, haven't had the same luck.

Amir's measurements of the HIDISZ S8/Sonata HD Pro and the Apple USB-C dongle definitively show these are not the same.
As I said, they're both similar in how they're cheap and over-preforming. I'm not saying their the same, or that they perform the same, just that they both have good value. Yes, I exaggerated, and that's why directly after I explained the similarity.

Zarniwoop

Mine seems to have settled down. Only the occasional dropout, once or twice every day or two. Which I can live with as it sounds so good.

Saidera

So someone proved earlier that the Meizu non pro dongle is the better choice? But it mightn't do DSD.

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro also has USB problems? In the earlier teardown photos one could see the soldering of the 3.5 mm jack was not perfect compared to S8.

If one bought Tempotec Sonata HD Pro off aliexpress, and it also turns faulty a month later, what can be done? Perhaps open a dispute and ask for a partial refund?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
So someone proved earlier that the Meizu non pro dongle is the better choice? But it mightn't do DSD.

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro also has USB problems? In the earlier teardown photos one could see the soldering of the 3.5 mm jack was not perfect compared to S8.

If one bought Tempotec Sonata HD Pro off aliexpress, and it also turns faulty a month later, what can be done? Perhaps open a dispute and ask for a partial refund?
You cannot do anything anymore regarding Ali...
If you bought from official (TempoTec) store you can try to talk with them. They will offer you to send it back to them & send you another one which is perfectly correct but I don't think its worth it in current situation (shipping costs, waiting time...).
You didn't state what's the problem by the way.
Meizu non Pro had/has problems with PCM line regarding common mostly used sampling types or at least it's been reported like that several times.

Saidera

TempoTec basically has free reign to provide untested products. No, my TempoTec has not begun to show problems yet. I doubt it will.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
TempoTec basically has free reign to provide untested products. No, my TempoTec has not begun to show problems yet. I doubt it will.

There you go then, you are testing it for them....

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make. You have the device, it works. You will always find people on forums finding issues with all products. Some of them may not even be telling the complete truth.

What would be the point of any large manufacturer shipping untested products, really?

Saidera

Alright, but you know, $25 on taobao makes you think untested products might save cost?

I was merely writing regarding Aliexpress warranty.

Yes, the problem devices are in the minority and may be fake posts above.

But one did mention that they had to return to amazon US one day before free returns expired.

For us Aliexpress users, we have to trust that faults don't develop over weeks!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright, but you know, $25 on taobao makes you think untested products might save cost?

I was merely writing regarding Aliexpress warranty.

Yes, the problem devices are in the minority and may be fake posts above.

But one did mention that they had to return to amazon US one day before free returns expired.

For us Aliexpress users, we have to trust that faults don't develop over weeks!

I have no idea what Tempotec's testing regime is , but too high a failure rate for any large OEM is going to be pretty catastrophic reputationally.

Saidera

Yeah.

I believe Tempotec's and Hidizs S8 are made in different factories.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah.

I believe Tempotec's and Hidizs S8 are made in different factories.

I would be very surprised if so. Identical boards , different cases, makes no sense unless the boards are shipped Tempotec to elsewhere to be put in Hidizs cases.

Top Bottom