• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What was odd about the discussion? When I was at the Florida Audio Expo last year, they paired their amps with KEF Blades, and Frank Malitz blatantly said their tubes don’t sound any better/different than solid state, and that people usually hear a difference because they are coming from low quality solid state.
I don't think it's good form to share a link to the discussion I referred to (so I shan't -- but, I mean, there is Google*).

That said, I am curious about the unusual topology (DC restorer circuit) used in the amp. It is claimed to increase efficiency and markedly reduce the size of the whole amp, drastically shift the operating points of the output tubes (apparently), and decrease size & weight of the output transformers. I'd be curious to see some quantitative data on the amplifier's performance. Wouldn't you?

https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/copy-of-crimson-raven-features-spec

1588768851243.png

Dimensions/Weight:
14" x 7" x 9.5" (W x H x D) / 19 lbs
Price: $2750

compared to, say, the aforementioned McIntosh MC-275
https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/-/medi...cumentMaster/us/MC275B-brochure-35015800.ashx
"full" mfgr. specs at https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/-/media/Files/mcintoshlabs/DocumentMaster/us/mc275bom01.ashx

Price (in 2010): $4500. I couldn't easily find the current price for the current MC275 morph online (sorry).
1588768985356.png

Last edited:

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's pretty loud. I wouldn't want to have one unless it was in a closed cabinet. Incidentally, Amir has one of mine so I expect you'll see measurements before too terribly long.

I also wonder if swapping the fan out for a Noctua or other "ultra quiet" fan as shown on a few sites/videos is sufficient. I went through a few different case fans on the PC I built some time ago and the Noctua was the best, but not really silent by any means. The orientation of the fan, the shroud, and the grills on the device might not be optimal for home audio use.

Wombat

Master Contributor
View attachment 62073

oooh, oooh, oooh! I've got one to add to the wishlist!

So... I just got this e-mail ad from musicdirect pushing Bob Carver's unusual US made (and relatively inexpensive) little 75 wpc vacuum tube stereo amplifier (Carver Crimson 275). It has some interesting design wrinkles, leavened with some of Carver's standard-issue just a little too good to be true shtick.

View attachment 62076

https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/copy-of-crimson-raven
https://www.musicdirect.com/power-amp/Bob-Carver-275-Stereo-Tube-Amplifier

Sample prose, from the Carver Corp. website:

Now, unfortunately, I am not in a position to buy one and have it drop-shipped to Washington State (well, I could -- but Mrs. H would likely keeeeel me; sorry!), so I doubt this particular wish will ever come true -- but still I thought it worthy of mention.

View attachment 62075

;)

Full disclosure -- I did give serious consideration to buying one of these amps when it was introduced (at an attractive introductory price), but, after an extensive but somewhat odd discussion (including Carver's business partner) at another forum, I chickened out. I am still awfully intrigued by this amp, which, for better or worse, is quite a bit different than one's average 2 x 75 watt vacuum tube amplifier (e.g., McIntosh 275) in size, weight, and price.

Thanks for your attention & consideration!

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
old stereo receivers - none in the master list

or... new stereo receivers

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Want me to send him one?
There seem to be -- a few -- takin' up space here and there in the ol' casa.

:rolleyes:

ta240

Major Contributor

How old? I think beyond a certain date range they should be serviced before being tested; otherwise the results could just indicate that components are out of spec.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
How old? I think beyond a certain date range they should be serviced before being tested; otherwise the results could just indicate that components are out of spec.
well... yeah... that's the other thing. :)
40 year old electrolytics do not age in the same manner as, say, Grand Cru Bordeaux.
(and those 'golden age' Japanese components are just peppered with electrolytics -- in, with, and under the signal path) :rolleyes:

second tier ss by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0322 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

These guys have both been rehabbed, but they'd be a wee bit pricey to ship coast to coast :(

DSC_0576 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Last edited:

NDRQ

Schiit Hel measurements maybe? Im just read about it and based on the specs it looks a nice all in one unit and the price not bad.
Also the newest Asgard would be good, because there arent many choice if someone want a really powerful headamp and dont want to pay too much. Would be good to know if they are worthy options.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You know how tricky it is to lift this massive, tall and very slippery speaker up 5 feet to put it on the measurement platform that is currently only 6 inches square? If you were me, would you risk $12,000 to satisfy your members?
I guess my question is whether Klippel provides other larger platforms which could be retrofitted onto the current setup, so that more ambitious speaker systems could be measured. Plus maybe we could find you some furniture movers and/or weightlifters. :p

Southall-1998

I don't list in alphabetical order. Please accept my apologies.

Amplifiers:
Naim Nait 1 or Nait 2.
Naim Supernait 3.
Rega Brio-R or 2017 model.
NVA.
Onkyo A-9010.
Audio Note Oto SE/Silver version.
Sugden Class A.

Speakers:
Dali Zensor 3.
Dali Oberon 1.
Harbeth P3ESR.
Falcon Acoustics LS3/5a.
Acoustic Energy AE1 or AE2.
Audio Note AN-J - The more pricier versions.
Naim SBL.
Mission 751.

S.

Top Bottom