• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Horns - Necessary to complete the Audiophile Journey?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, I've heard the EON line in person, although not that model.
If you're convinced that Spinorama tells you everything you need to know about speaker quality, perhaps you can buy the EONs.

That EON is very different from all previous generations with the flower-shaped woofer waveguide.

@Rich
+1

Having heard the EONs, you're not getting the equivalent of a JBL 708P active studio monitor for an 80% discount.

JBL isn't stupid....

I agree -- but this begs the question: If the EON615 was put under the Klippel, what differences would we see in dispersion and distortion compared to the 705p or 708p. What if the main difference is just that you need to be further away from the EON615 for the woofer/compression driver to sound homogenous than the near-field scenario of the 7-series and all of the extra money on the 708p is pulling off what 15" of physics gets you in the cheaper EON615?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
+1

I haven't heard a speaker designer say that it's the sum total of what needs to be done.

After all, small dB differences (low Q) over multiple octaves can affect the perceived voicing of a speaker, even if it looks basically flat on a graph. This is easy to simulate with EQ, and subjectively obvious if one plays with wide spectrum tilt EQ.

Even @amirm listens to speakers after he measures them....
If I was a speaker company with a few 100's of millions to invest in new lines of speakers I take this research and run with it.

As an individual looking for things I like a bit of a different story in my opinion.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
If the EON615 was put under the Klippel, what differences would we see in dispersion and distortion compared to the 705p or 708p. What if the main difference is just that you need to be further away from the EON615 for the woofer/compression driver to sound homogenous than the near-field scenario of the 7-series and all of the extra money on the 708p is pulling off what 15" of physics gets you in the cheaper EON615?

I agree with you about the minimum listening distance (which may or may not be the only audibly significant difference).

I would expect the diffractive lens in front of the EON615's woofer to widen its radiation pattern, presumably to better match with that of the horn in the crossover region. This would allow JBL to use a higher than normal crossover frequency and still get good pattern matching with their 90 degree (in the horizontal plane) horn. And the higher crossover frequency would in turn put less strain on the compression driver and theoretically allow a higher maximum SPL without resorting to a beefier (and more expensive) compression driver. I suspect the unusual shape of the diffractive lens minimizes coloration while pattern-matching with the horn in BOTH the horizontal and vertical planes.

I think the primary effect on minimum listening distance would be the greater vertical spacing (between acoustic center of the horn and acoustic center of the woofer) imposed by the large woofer diameter, which would certainly be much greater than that of the 705P and 708P.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
all of the extra money on the 708p is pulling off what 15" of physics gets you in the cheaper EON615?

Isn't much of the history of hi fi since the 1950s about cramming what bigger boxes can do easily into smaller (but costlier) boxes?

Let's say, hypothetically, that at a listening distance of 15', and 'domestic listening levels' (for me, that's about 70-80 dB at the seat), the EON615 and the 708P sound and measure the same.

I'd still prefer the more expensive, smaller speaker because I don't want giant black plastic speakers on utilitarian stands in my living room.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have not heard the M2 but have heard Peter Noerbaek's M2!5 and imo it is superb.
I took a look at the PBN M line of speakers, certainly very interesting, I could fall in love just looking at them.
But NEVER afford em. ;)

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I took a look at the PBN M line of speakers, certainly very interesting, I could fall in love just looking at them.
But NEVER afford em. ;)

Peter doesn't do things halfway, does he?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't really care about my improving my outdoor PA speakers because:

a) I use them maybe 4-6 times a year

b) At a gig, they have to work with the mixing board we have. The EVs I own have a Dante card that works with our mixing board.

c) Venue acoustics are the big wild card, and the speakers aren't used in isolation, but with other PA speakers

d) At a performance, most people care about your ability as a band / as musicians

e) At a tailgate party, nobody cares about sound quality, they're just getting drunk and eating BBQ

I'm not talking about using them as PA speakers. I'm interested in how they perform in a home environment at say 3.5m listening distance. PA is just a label. Measurements don't lie, and measurements don't care if a loudspeaker has the "PA" label, unless you believe that there is something offensive thing that PA speakers do that can't be captured by measurements. Is that what you're saying? If so, you should provide evidence for that, as it would be a great contribution to the current audio science that we have. It really would greatly benefit the audio community if you could demonstrate that.

What aspects of (PA)loudspeaker performance do you believe aren't captured by measurements? We know that output capability isn't, but that's a strength of this speaker. I mentioned that horizontal dispersion is not accurately characterized by the DI, but given that we have horizontal axis measurements, that's not the case here. What else? Distortion? (Audible) Distortion should show in the on and off axis frequency response. What else could PA speakers be doing that makes otherwise well behaved speakers not sound well behaved?

Compared to home speakers, pretty much any PA speaker has better max output.

So strike one for home speakers? Home speakers have the constraint of having to look good, which often means making them smaller than optimal. Also, my main speakers actually rate to 134dB, so not my home speakers :p

Is our goal to get the loudest speakers possible for home use?

It's not the max output that impresses me; It's the max output in conjunction with outstanding fidelity measurements. Those measurements are better than my 308ps and 708ps, and they're inline with my Revel M105s, and that's what intrigues me. As someone who's very interested in the science of loudspeaker design, those measurements intrigue me very much. Floyd Toole says that a spinorama and max output are sufficient to judge the quality of most any loudspeaker, and by Toole's metric, these things pass with flying colors.

If you believe at all in the work that Floyd Toole and Sean Olive did, these speakers should be very intriguing. PA is just a label. They're definitely ugly, but if they outperform my Revel M105s, then I've got no problem replacing the Revels.

You say you listened to them, and didn't like them, but there could be a few reasons for that other than them being low fi speakers.

1. The setting you listened to them in. Unless you listened to them in the same room that you listened to the speakers you're comparing against, we can't really draw any real conclusions. Where did you listen to them?

2. Expectation bias. You clearly have a strong bias against PA speakers, which definitely alters the quality of sound you hear. After all, we hear with our brains, not our ears. Did you listen to them under true blind conditions(ie you didn't know you were hearing a PA speaker)? If not, that could be the reason for your dislike.

3. You prefer non-neutral loudspeakers. These JBLs are incredibly neutral, and NRC and Harman science says that most people prefer that, but that science doesn't say that "everyone" prefers that. There are definitely a minority of folks who prefer non-neutral loudspeakers. You could be among that group.

4. The science could be wrong. Spinorama or spinorama like measurements are insufficient for predicting user preference. Floyd Toole and Harman could be wrong in the weight they ascribe to those measurements. Perhaps there's some offensive loudspeaker quality other than FR, Dispersion, Distortion - and output capability - that measurements miss. It's possible that PA loudspeakers have that quality.

I believe you when say you didn't like them, but I'm just curious why, and that's why I'm thinking of buying them(even though I've bought 8 new loudspeakers in the past 2 months :facepalm:). The science that we have - and the science that this forum was built on - says that these should sound excellent.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm not talking about using them as PA speakers. I'm interested in how they perform in a home environment at say 3.5m listening distance. PA is just a label. Measurements don't lie, and measurements don't care if a loudspeaker has the "PA" label, unless you believe that there is something offensive thing that PA speakers do that can't be captured by measurements. Is that what you're saying? If so, you should provide evidence for that, as it would be a great contribution to the current audio science that we have. It really would greatly benefit the audio community if you could demonstrate that.

What aspects of (PA)loudspeaker performance do you believe aren't captured by measurements? We know that output capability isn't, but that's a strength of this speaker. I mentioned that horizontal dispersion is not accurately characterized by the DI, but given that we have horizontal axis measurements, that's not the case here. What else? Distortion? (Audible) Distortion should show in the on and off axis frequency response. What else could PA speakers be doing that makes otherwise well behaved speakers not sound well behaved?

So strike one for home speakers? Home speakers have the constraint of having to look good, which often means making them smaller than optimal. Also, my main speakers actually rate to 134dB, so not my home speakers :p

It's not the max output that impresses me; It's the max output in conjunction with outstanding fidelity measurements. Those measurements are better than my 308ps and 708ps, and they're inline with my Revel M105s, and that's what intrigues me. As someone who's very interested in the science of loudspeaker design, those measurements intrigue me very much. Floyd Toole says that a spinorama and max output are sufficient to judge the quality of most any loudspeaker, and by Toole's metric, these things pass with flying colors.

If you believe at all in the work that Floyd Toole and Sean Olive did, these speakers should be very intriguing. PA is just a label. They're definitely ugly, but if they outperform my Revel M105s, then I've got no problem replacing the Revels.

You say you listened to them, and didn't like them, but there could be a few reasons for that other than them being low fi speakers.

1. The setting you listened to them in. Unless you listened to them in the same room that you listened to the speakers you're comparing against, we can't really draw any real conclusions. Where did you listen to them?

2. Expectation bias. You clearly have a strong bias against PA speakers, which definitely alters the quality of sound you hear. After all, we hear with our brains, not our ears. Did you listen to them under true blind conditions(ie you didn't know you were hearing a PA speaker)? If not, that could be the reason for your dislike.

3. You prefer non-neutral loudspeakers. These JBLs are incredibly neutral, and NRC and Harman science says that most people prefer that, but that science doesn't say that "everyone" prefers that. There are definitely a minority of folks who prefer non-neutral loudspeakers. You could be among that group.

4. The science could be wrong. Spinorama or spinorama like measurements are insufficient for predicting user preference. Floyd Toole and Harman could be wrong in the weight they ascribe to those measurements. Perhaps there's some offensive loudspeaker quality other than FR, Dispersion, Distortion - and output capability - that measurements miss. It's possible that PA loudspeakers have that quality.

I believe you when say you didn't like them, but I'm just curious why, and that's why I'm thinking of buying them(even though I've bought 8 new loudspeakers in the past 2 months :facepalm:). The science that we have - and the science that this forum was built on - says that these should sound excellent.

I'm going to say it again:

I don't want PA speakers, of any kind by any maker, in my living room.

I have spouse and decor considerations.

If you want to play with PA speakers for home use, rock on.

Last edited:

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm thinking of buying them... The science that we have - and the science that this forum was built on - says that these should sound excellent.

Try them! You may be about to discover a killer affordable high-end audio loudspeaker for those who are not concerned with aesthetics, and/or those who can hide them behind a screen.

I agree with you that the science this forum was built on says they should sound excellent.

(My personal, somewhat nebulous reservations about the design would have no credibility on this forum.)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I trust Amir's ears more than I trust the predictive power of the measurements. When I have read reviews wherein there was an apparent discrepancy between the predicted preference rating and Amir's ears-on evaluation, I trust Amir.

It's unfortunate, but that's starting to become the case with me, as well. After reading Toole's book and the "How to choose a loudspeaker. What the Science shows" thread on AVS, I was fully on the bandwagon of measurements being fully sufficient to predict listener preference. The more examples we get of Amir's subjective impressions differing significantly from that science, the closer I get to jumping off that bandwagon.

That's what intrigues me so much about the JBL Eons. I think they would be a great test of just how predictive measurements truly are. The measurements are excellent. They're better than both the 308p and the 708p, both of which I also own. Measuring better than the 708p is especially interesting, as the 708p is considerably more expensive, and the 708p offers nowhere near the output capability.

My interest has gotten the better of me. I've just ordered 2 JBL Eon 615s. My 9th loudspeaker purchase in the past couple months :facepalm:. Loudspeakers I'm very interested in comparing them with my other Harman speakers(JBL 305p, 308p, Infinity Beta 20, 50, R263, Revel M105). I also really want to send one to @amirm . I'm actually more interested in Amir's subjective impressions. We already know the measure excellent, but we also have several people who've heard them that say they sound terrible(@watchnerd @tuga ). Loudspeakers for which the objective measurements and subjective impressions are most at odds are the loudspeakers I'm most interested in, as I believe they have the greatest potential to advance loudspeaker science.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
That's what intrigues me so much about the JBL Eons. I think they would be a great test of just how predictive measurements truly are. The measurements are excellent. They're better than both the 308p and the 708p, both of which I also own.

I agree with you!! The Eon 615 would really put the predictive power of the measurements to the test.

My interest has gotten the better of me. I've just ordered 2 JBL Eon 615s. My 9th loudspeaker purchase in the past couple months :facepalm:

I am EXTREMELY interested in reading your ears-on evaluation when the time comes. And I tip my virtual hat to you for your nine-and-counting recent sacrifices at the altar - may the audio gods and science both smile upon you!!

Loudspeakers for which the objective measurements and subjective impressions are most at odds are the loudspeakers I'm most interested in, as I believe they have the greatest potential to advance loudspeaker science.

I absolutely agree. Imo it is the exceptions to the rules which are telling us where further investigation may be warranted, and where we might uncover something useful.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
we also have several people who've heard them that say they sound terrible(@watchnerd @tuga ). Loudspeakers for which the objective measurements and subjective impressions are most at odds are the loudspeakers I'm most interested in, as I believe they have the greatest potential to advance loudspeaker science.

?

I never said the EON 615 sounds terrible.

In fact, I said (regarding the other speakers in the line, which I've heard) they sound "better than average for the price".

Please don't claim I said things I didn't say.

Last edited:

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
?

I said the EON 615 sounds terrible.

In fact, I said (regarding the other speakers in the line, which I've heard) they sound "more terrible than average for the price".

Me myself would never dream of committing such a crime. :)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
?

I never said the EON 615 sounds terrible.

In fact, I said (regarding the other speakers in the line, which I've heard) they sound "better than average for the price".

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you said. Still, I think they are an interesting science experiment.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Perhaps I'll just throw in the towel on horns and get these, instead, to complete my audiophile bucket list:

s-l1600.jpg

They're available on eBay near me.

Last edited:

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps I'll just throw in the towel on horns and get these, instead, to complete my audiophile bucket list:

s-l1600.jpg

They're available on eBay near me.

You should get them too. I might be the only person in the universe who bought them for their extended bass. I was living in a tiny house - living room literally 8' wide - and had Visonik Davids (anyone remember them?) Swapping in the LS3/5as was like adding a subwoofer.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You should get them too. I might be the only person in the universe who bought them for their extended bass. I was living in a tiny house - living room literally 8' wide - and had Visonik Davids (anyone remember them?) Swapping in the LS3/5as was like adding a subwoofer.

Those LS3/5as are 1980 models, with original parts.

Apparently I was 5 when the Davids came out.

The smallest speaker I've ever owned was the NHT Super Zero:

9ef63212859dd8a6db8b9086a47a28a4.jpg

In some ways, they were one of my favorite speakers.

Top Bottom