• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV Series Suggestion Please

thelexa

I am looking for some great TV series suggestion that I will enjoy watching. I'm done with How I Met Your Mother, Gossip Girls, and Pretty Little Liars.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I hear you :). The Blacklist is worth watching especially if you can go to original pilot episode.

p12995016_b_v8_aa.jpg

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I hate, hate, hate watching commercial television because of the commercials and the generally low creative quality. But, some series are not bad, but I much prefer binge watching them on Netflix, especially since all the commercials have been zapped. But, the sense of dramatic continuity is much better when you watch perhaps a whole season on several nights in one week, as opposed to watching it over many weeks.

I thought Blacklist lost some of its earlier sparkle in recent seasons, and is now just churning, but I will watch the newest season when Netflix has it up. Just finished a new season of Ctiminal Minds that way, and the show has list creative momentum or else I am just getting bored with it. Loved binge watching Person of Interest. Lie to Me with Tim Roth wasn't bad either.

But, one of the very best things we have seen on Netflix streaming is Shetland, a British cop show set in the bleak Shetlands and also on Fair Isle. It and its lead, Douglas Henshall, have won a number of awards for this series. The low key, ensemble acting is just extraordinary, and the stories plus the unusual setting are interesting. But, you gotta watch it with English subtitles on to understand it. I don't think even Scotsmen understand the Shetland brogue.

In some ways, because of the northern setting, it reminds me of some other favorites, the two Wallanders. The older one from Swedish TV was great, and the Kenneth Branagh remake also superb. It had been on Masterpiece Theater here. Both have a sort of lady with the dragon tattoo feel about them.

OP
thelexa

thelexa

I would have to agree with you guys, commercials are the primary reasons why prefer watching on the internet instead. I will take note of your suggestion and will start watching The Blacklist tonight. Thanks, guys.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But, one of the very best things we have seen on Netflix streaming is Shetland, a British cop show set in the bleak Shetlands and also on Fair Isle. It and its lead, Douglas Henshall, have won a number of awards for this series. The low key, ensemble acting is just extraordinary, and the stories plus the unusual setting are interesting. But, you gotta watch it with English subtitles on to understand it. I don't think even Scotsmen understand the Shetland brogue.

In some ways, because of the northern setting, it reminds me of some other favorites, the two Wallanders. The older one from Swedish TV was great, and the Kenneth Branagh remake also superb. It had been on Masterpiece Theater here. Both have a sort of lady with the dragon tattoo feel about them.

I have been mini binge watching Shetland the past two weeks. Much recommended. He isn't kidding about the Scottish brogue. I too sort of dig the dreary overcast settings.

You also might like Broadchurch. Another crime solver story from the BBC. The Lava Field is good too though you will need sub-titles for this as it is Icelandic with even more dreary winter settings.

Bordertown might be better than all of those. Not border as in Mexico_USA border. It is in Finland next to the Russian border. Subtitles as the language is Finnish.

Two more crime shows worth watching are Justified if you haven't seen it, and Longmire.

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
A_Discovery_of_Witches_%28TV_series%29.png

I haven't watched alot of recent TV series. But have seen a bit of "A Discovery of Witches" and it seems ok, and fairly well done for what it is.

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor

"Special Unit 2" (2001-2002) was sort of a spoof of shows like "The X-Files", which was also fairly well done, and pretty fun while it lasted (which was only for two seasons).

specialunit2-jpg.3155157

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor

The original "Fantasy Island" (1977-1984) is an oldie but a goodie imo, with alot of fun ideas and nice color cinematography. I think the audio was only mono though, and maybe not always the best quality. This can probably be streamed free w/ads from one of the free streaming services (like The Roku Channel). I think some of the episodes were also converted from the original 4:3 ratio to 16:9 widescreen.

Last edited:

deprogrammed

What We Do In the Shadows just started a new season. Nadja!

Don't miss good cartoons. All well written. 1st in more of a kids show. The other 2 are not.
The Last Airbender (epic tale)
Bojack Horseman (gets really heavy-depression, alcoholism, narcissism )
Rick and Morty (funny as hell)

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - It's something else.

ADU

Major Contributor
Maverick_-_Title_Card.jpg

"Maverick" (1957-1962) with James Garner, Jack Kelly and Roger Moore as car-playing riverboat hustlers, who were always gettin into some sort of trouble. Not sure how well it'd hold up now. But it was sure fun to watch when I was a kid.

ADU

Major Contributor
Don't miss good cartoons. All well written. 1st in more of a kids show. The other 2 are not.
The Last Airbender (epic tale)
Bojack Horseman (gets really heavy-depression, alcoholism, narcissism )
Rick and Morty (funny as hell)

Thanks for the suggestions, deprogrammed!

As far as animated series go, I'm still a big fan of Warner Bros. original "Looney Toons". And Hanna-Barbera's original "Scooby-Doo" and "Jonny Quest".

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor

"Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated" (2010-2013)

I've seen some episodes from this recent Scooby-Doo reboot as well, and it's also pretty well done, with very nicely drawn animation, and stereo sound.

Top Bottom