• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

MechEngVic

I don't remember if anyone figured this out before, but it'll be a good reminder anyway: Powering down the unit resets the equalization settings at next power up.

This feature, the occasional failure of the unit to power up in max volume mode, the fact that it lacks a hard power switch, and the fact that it consumes less than 4 watts has caused me to set it up to stay on.

MechEngVic

... I also never turn off the DAC.

BTW, there is only one driver, the Theyscon driver. The other is a firmware for the DAC itself. They differ because the driver is installed on the OS, and the firmware is installed on the DAC. Two different things.

I'm gonna try leaving it on also.

I also thought there was just one driver, but another mentioned installing both an XMOS and Thesycon driver, so I searched this thread and Wolf's thread and in one of them I found the XMOS driver.

Annotation 2020-07-06 223749.jpg
Annotatison 2020-07-06 223749.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't remember if anyone figured this out before, but it'll be a good reminder anyway: Powering down the unit resets the equalization settings at next power up.

This feature, the occasional failure of the unit to power up in max volume mode, the fact that it lacks a hard power switch, and the fact that it consumes less than 4 watts has caused me to set it up to stay on.
I thought there was a post up there from Soncoz saying 2 firmwares available. Default is to boot up in minimum volume, the other version boot at full volume

origiri

I'm gonna try leaving it on also.

I also thought there was just one driver, but another mentioned installing both an XMOS and Thesycon driver, so I searched this thread and Wolf's thread and in one of them I found the XMOS driver.

Ben has told me that the XMOS driver is not needed and can be uninstalled. Only thesycon driver is needed.

Brab

Has anyone heard any differences among the filter settings? On my ESS based Audiolab Mdac I've ended up with the minimum phase filter but I don't know whether that's equivalent to the Soncoz's minimum phase fast or low rolloff. And could anyone with excellent communication skills take a crack at explaining how to change and set the filters? Thanks.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone heard any differences among the filter settings? On my ESS based Audiolab Mdac I've ended up with the minimum phase filter but I don't know whether that's equivalent to the Soncoz's minimum phase fast or low rolloff. And could anyone with excellent communication skills take a crack at explaining how to change and set the filters? Thanks.

You need the truth table!! Changing is easy- hold the mute button 2 secs, it will change down the list each time you long press. the LEDs that flash (single or combined) tell you where in the list of 7 you have just set. Next long press moves down the cycle.

2/3 down this web page is the filter table. Cant help you with what any of the setting means or compares to with other DACs though

http://www.soncoz.com/laqxd1.html#/

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On a quick cycle through I cant tell any difference so set to default- Apod(ising). Note, you can set the filter separately for each input and I believe it resets at power off.

MechEngVic

Long-press the power button to enter filter change mode (it enters and moves the filter forward one), then you can hold the power button down to cycle through the filters, or long-press to cycle through one at a time. When you settle on the filter you want, short-press the audio inputs switching button to set the filter and exit the mode (it switches your input also so you'll have to go back to where you were). Short-pressing the power button just mutes the DAC, it doesn't set and exit the filter mode, nor do the volume buttons. Power off resets filter. It's hard to tell the difference between the filters, your best bet is with a good set of headphones.

Mark Lawless

I'm wondering how this would sound in comparison to the Topping D30 one I own and the Topping D90 one I would consider upgrading to if the sound was noticeably better.

MechEngVic

I'm wondering how this would sound in comparison to the Topping D30 one I own and the Topping D90 one I would consider upgrading to if the sound was noticeably better.
I upgraded from the Topping D30. I consider it an improvement. I made this comment earlier:

Annotation 2020-07-08 234819.jpg

EMMA

Could you explain exactly how to download and upgrade? Thanks.
You just need to uninstall the previously installed driver and install the 4.86 version.

Attachments

• Thesycon_Driver&DFU_V4.86.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 142

turbotuff

Forum Donor
I just received mine and I'm having trouble with the bit rate on my Mac. I have it set to 32 bit/768 in my midi setup, although Amazon HD shows device capability as 24bit/768. Additionally, I am unable to get sound via Google Chrome when the bitrate is set this way. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

MechEngVic

I just received mine and I'm having trouble with the bit rate on my Mac. I have it set to 32 bit/768 in my midi setup, although Amazon HD shows device capability as 24bit/768. Additionally, I am unable to get sound via Google Chrome when the bitrate is set this way. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think Amazon HD will show the 32bit capability of the device since Amazon HD maxes out at 24bit. Unfortunately, I know nothing about MAC.

mt196

Any reason to have the bitrate so high? You know setting it so high can also be worse for the final sound quality? I would not go higher than 24/192 that is more or less the max a SACD will go. Other than that there is no point going, I even think 16/44.1 is enough, but some recordings are done better on SACD so 24/192 is necessary sometimes

Veri

Master Contributor
Any reason to have the bitrate so high? You know setting it so high can also be worse for the final sound quality?

There's actually no downside to higher bit depth it won't have any negative effect. But 24-bit should suffice, it allows up to -144dB DR... ;)

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
the measurements on their website are a bit different...

Last edited:
Top Bottom