• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

Vasr

Major Contributor
If only we could get a unit that is a mashup of the two Okto units with Optical inputs for 2.0 PCM, USB for PC connection and a HDMI port (just 2.0 to LPCM 7.1 no licensed Dolby/DTS nonsense, no 4k pass through etc), this would make for a fantastic lightweight pre-amp for a mixed music/HT use that would be totally transparent for both uses.

Yes, I know the primarily music guys will jump up and down foaming at the mouth at that "travesty" at the mere mention of HDMI but if I had a nickel every time when someone declared what they need is all that matters, I would be very, very, rich. :)

Sonic delight

There are many people, like myself, who only make use of digital volume control in the DAC. In such a usage scenario, a DAC with a higher signal-to-noise ratio is always desired.

With a 64 bit digital volume control, many DAC's under $100 will still exceed the SINAD of any speaker amp available, when attenuated down to inaudible levels.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes the only thing that matters is the SINAD coming out of the binding posts of the final amp in the system. That result will be identical from the binding posts of the Purifi or Benchmark AHB2 regardless if the $20 Meizu or the Okto DAC was used as a source.
But SINAD is cumulative, right @pozz ?

Vasr

Major Contributor
Just add the nanoDIGI externally...it's not that big and easily tucked in out-of-sight behind the full size equipment. I am seriously considering this myself for the next setup.

That would totally negate the need for a DAC being this clean, no?

John1959

Some people may. But many people don't. Regardless there's $100 DAC's that have all the inputs, and exceed the SINAD of any speaker amp in existence.
The DAC8 Stereo also doubles as a SOTA pre-amp for digital only inputs. Who said that all pre amps sound the same? In fact, I think this contributes much to the excellent sound quality of this DAC. I own the DAC8 PRO but the analog circuit is shared with the stereo version.

John

Feyire

That external jumper to connect two internal systems is strange...
No doubt a compromise of some sort, given the current enclosure design and position of the Pi. Perhaps @Okto Research can chime in on the motivations behind this decision?

Personally, I'm not too bothered and it is not in the way of anything. As long as there is no performance degradation, it's all good :cool:

Sonic delight

But SINAD is cumulative, right @pozz ?

No. If you measure from the speaker binding posts the result you'll get at the analyzer will be of the weakest link in the chain. Which will be the amps 100% of the time, if you're using 1 of several DAC's on the market under $100 as the source.

Sonic delight

The DAC8 Stereo also doubles as a SOTA pre-amp for digital only inputs. Who said that all pre amps sound the same? In fact, I think this contributes much to the excellent sound quality of this DAC. I own the DAC8 PRO but the analog circuit is shared with the stereo version.

John

For 0.01% of users that may be useful. Who needs a digital only preamp?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is a drive? You mean golfing panther? If so, I use the soccer one for European products to mean the same. :)

Do the Scotts get golf? :)

- Rich

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

John
That was exactly my reasoning when I ordered mine. And I felt it looked cool too. Well designed, form follows function. And the promise of a very high SINAD.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Do tell. What's upsteam of the DAC that would ruin the DAC output from what it is (assuming we are still talking nanoDIGI up front)?

I was under the impression that the minidsp unit was not clean and would add some noise components even if in the digital domain from its legitimate processing as an unavoidable side-effect, so at best the combined effect would be the weakest of the two. If I am wrong in that assumption, happy to be corrected.

Sonic delight

I am very curious about the make of your headphones...

I use this DAC with my speaker amp. However combined with a decent headphone amp this DAC can drive the Purifi amps unbuffered to clipping and beyond with ease. And achieve a SINAD of -108 from the amp binding posts.

F1308

Major Contributor
I'm reading this on their website
"
Custom output voltage
Choose a custom output voltage that matches your amplifier. Available in range from 1 to 12V RMS. Please specify the requested value in your order note.

"
Imagine this with AHB2s
I already asked Benchmark's support for help..,

F1308

Major Contributor
I use this DAC with my speaker amp. However combined with a decent headphone amp this DAC can drive the Purifi amps unbuffered to clipping and beyond with ease. And achieve a SINAD of -108 from the amp binding posts.

Thank you very much.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just add the nanoDIGI externally...it's not that big and easily tucked in out-of-sight behind the full size equipment. I am seriously considering this myself for the next setup.
Unfortunately will not accept USB which means a usb to spidf converter for anything coming out of the PC. Aarrghhh.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was under the impression that the minidsp unit was not clean and would add some noise components even if in the digital domain from its legitimate processing as an unavoidable side-effect, so at best the combined effect would be the weakest of the two. If I am wrong in that assumption, happy to be corrected.
I assumed objectivity. Need proof, I have not been able to find any such dirt.

Top Bottom