• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I love the Duc's, own 2 over the years.
But when it comes to the ladies, ladies love a man on a HARLEY. :p
You should have been with me this night after the show! :eek:
View attachment 7843

I don't know Sal, last time I was in Florida on an Italian ride there were no shortage of ladies. Different one every night, but if you are implying it was me and not the bike I'll agree. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't know Sal, last time I was in Florida on an Italian ride there were no shortage of ladies. Different one every night, but if you are implying it was me and not the bike I'll agree. :D
Me thinks thou does flatter thy self. ;)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the opposite aesthetic direction, but similar price, what do you think of Devialet?
I have used Devialet amps for over 5 years now. I like everything about them, particularly the rotary volume control on the remote.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you had $5k-7k to drop on a "do everything preamp / DAC" (analog, digital, phono, headphone), would you buy a McIntosh go a different direction?

Yep, looks always play into audio gear selection. The Mac has such a distinctive look, it really needs to play with all its friends together. Just one of their units might "throw off" the whole look of your system with modern minimalist looking gear.

If I like what I heard from the setup you mention, and it was a standalone say in a study or somewhere, I would like such a beast glowing away on the desk or shelf. If you cant hear it, it does not matter, so if what I compared to against it I could not hear a difference, then choosing on "cool factor" and looks rises near the top as well as value for money of course.

A.wayne

Current McIntosh displays can be garish and over done but taken individually i do disagree and find their amplfiers very pleasing to look at ...

As to tip top most are wrong , McIntosh was considered top Of the heap for decades this changed somewhat coming into the late 80's but this did not stop the current at the time Mcintosh 255/255 besting my then highly touted Mark Levinson ML9 in everyway.

Look at the tube powered MC3500 , top of the heap then and many still look at it today , Mcintosh MC2300 (69) was top of the heap SS when introduced , not to mention the C22 tube pre , iconic among the hi end crowd for decades.

Obviously they were cutting edge then, maybe less so today , but still relevant.

Regards

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have only ever seen pictures of McIntosh kit, like many US manufacturers it has only had sporadic representation here in the UK so never had an opportunity to see or hear any.
I quite like the styling.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you grew up in electronics with stuff like this then McIntosh looks pretty sweet.

upload_2017-7-23_10-55-10.png

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I would go pro-audio for that. There is stuff in that price range that is going to blow past a MC Pre

Nothing against pro-audio, but I don't know of anything on the pro side that has all those features. The closest I know of is the quasi-pro SPL Phonitor X and it doesn't have a phono stage.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have used Devialet amps for over 5 years now. I like everything about them, particularly the rotary volume control on the remote.

Which model do you have?

I was impressed with the software-selectable inputs / configurator of the new Expert Pro line.

Lots of bang for the buck, but still....lots of buck.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which model do you have?

I was impressed with the software-selectable inputs / configurator of the new Expert Pro line.

Lots of bang for the buck, but still....lots of buck.
I started off with a D-Premier before the on-line configurator and wireless link were made available in early 2012 iirc. I bought a second D-Premier to make a dual-mono setup which I later had updated at the factory to a 800. Later I weakened and traded the 800 in for an Original d'Atelier mainly, if I am honest, because I liked the colour.
The firmware was v3 when I started, it is v10 now with a fair few added features.
I also have a pair of Phantoms, because I admire the engineering, but don't use them in the main system.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing against pro-audio, but I don't know of anything on the pro side that has all those features. The closest I know of is the quasi-pro SPL Phonitor X and it doesn't have a phono stage.

Like what features?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All the ones that I mentioned earlier (phono input for MM/MC, DAC with consumer SPDIF inputs, analog preamp with XLR and RCA in/out, headphone amp, remote control).

I believe a Mytek Brooklyn has all of the inputs and outputs and other functions in your list. Along with let us not forget MQA!

And quite a few interfaces have everything if you are willing to use a MIC input with digital RIAA for phono playback. Increasingly some offer network control via WiFi.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I believe a Mytek Brooklyn has all of the inputs and outputs and other functions in your list. Along with let us not forget MQA!

And quite a few interfaces have everything if you are willing to use a MIC input with digital RIAA for phono playback. Increasingly some offer network control via WiFi.

Rats...it only has 1 analog input.

That means if I ever want to augment my turntable with a reel-to-reel, I'm screwdd.

Only 2X as much to get the Manhattan for that extra input.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom