• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No, I left it unplugged a few minutes and confirmed it was in Player mode, then redid it again to put it back to Preamp....no luck, still the same issue.
Ok, sounds like it’s defective. Did you get it new?

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
And you also confirmed the same issue when not using Bluetooth, right?

SPOautos

And you also confirmed the same issue when not using Bluetooth, right?

I'm going to this morning (well I have tried it with the radio stations in the app), fixing to hook a turntable with built in phono up to it.....first I'm fixing to reinstall the latest firmware and see if that fixes anything. Then I'm going to plug it into a different receiver.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
I'm going to this morning (well I have tried it with the radio stations in the app), fixing to hook a turntable with built in phono up to it.....first I'm fixing to reinstall the latest firmware and see if that fixes anything. Then I'm going to plug it into a different receiver.
And the radio had the same issue?

SPOautos

And the radio had the same issue?

Well after testing everything and unplugging everything from it to move it around and try to figure out if something came loose from shipping....I went to plug it all back up......and I'm embarrassed to say I figured it out and it's the most ridiculous thing.....I was using the aux outputs instead of pre outputs. Now its playing fine.....and I just realized how much of a retard I am hahaha....I must have been too excited and in a rush not paying good enough attention.

Thank you SO much for helping me go through it all.

panther

Are the speaker inputs binding posts that you could use banana plugs with to passive speakers? The manual shows just raw speaker wire when I looked on the Yamaha site.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Are the speaker inputs binding posts that you could use banana plugs with to passive speakers? The manual shows just raw speaker wire when I looked on the Yamaha site.
No problem taking banana plugs. I took a closeup. Excuse the mess, I’m running 4 speakers in the kitchen off this unit.
94F09DF4-41F6-41B8-B642-D0FAF7DA6FBF.jpeg

comicvcd

Hi All, just read through this topics, learned lots and the review is very helpful indeed. Many ta~
Ok, this is my story, my active speaker is Dynaudio XEO 20, build-in DAC and now I have a Dynaudio Connect with it.
Works fine but interruption noise (puff or click) occasionally output. It's annoying. It's bluetooth speakers so I can play
Tidal/Spotify directly to the speakers. The Dynaudio Connect works as a soundcard mode via USB connection to my PC if I play
DSD music.

WXC-50 is within my budget and I want to try different Bluetooth device to see whether the noise can go away or not.
I would like to connect WXC-50 USB in from my PC then output Toslink to my XEO 20, I know this way is "passthrough" literally
but I think it should be better sample rate than Bluetooth. Any advice please?

Thanking in advance.

panther

No problem taking banana plugs. I took a closeup. Excuse the mess, I’m running 4 speakers in the kitchen off this unit.View attachment 72021
Thanks for sending that! Thinking of getting one mainly as a compact amp for the computer desk to run through a JDS Labs Element as the pre amp to either KEF q150 or KEF LS50 's. Would be interested in what you are powering them too, I guess I should look through your older posts also. ANyways thanks again!

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Thanks for sending that! Thinking of getting one mainly as a compact amp for the computer desk to run through a JDS Labs Element as the pre amp to either KEF q150 or KEF LS50 's. Would be interested in what you are powering them too, I guess I should look through your older posts also. ANyways thanks again!
I’ve got two WXA-50’s, and three WXC-50’s, plus a MusicCast AVR, WX-010 & Soundbar (eight zones).

As far as the WXA’s go, I’ve got four speakers hooked up in the kitchen (one pair Paradigm H65 IW’s and one pair Monoprice 8” IC’s). It’s never struggled driving them.

The other is hooked up to Tannoy Mercury bookshelf’s in one of my kids room. I don’t think you’ll have any issues driving the KEF’s, even though the amp is only 50 watts / channel.

panther

I’ve got two WXA-50’s, and three WXC-50’s, plus a MusicCast AVR, WX-010 & Soundbar (eight zones).

As far as the WXA’s go, I’ve got four speakers hooked up in the kitchen (one pair Paradigm H65 IW’s and one pair Monoprice 8” IC’s). It’s never struggled driving them.

The other is hooked up to Tannoy Mercury bookshelf’s in one of my kids room. I don’t think you’ll have any issues driving the KEF’s, even though the amp is only 50 watts / channel.
Nice that is good to hear. I don't have much experience with amps and passive speakers as I have always had powered speakers at my desk so I don't really know what to expect for amplification. Thanks for your feed back. Now to decide between the KEF's and ELAC DBR62s.

SovonHalder

What is the version of bluetooth in this device?

For a product that sells as a wireless streaming device, the bluetooth doesn't have any info in the marketing material. Someone in reddit mentioned Bluetooth 2.1+EDR. Is that really true? How can a 14 year old specification be used in a flagship product that launched 4 years ago?

Last edited:

boniek

I have a question about subwoofer management. Is it possible to specify cut off point for low frequencies (eg 80 Hz) so that main speakers don't play below these frequencies? Can it be customized (eg in steps of 10Hz)?

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
I have a question about subwoofer management. Is it possible to specify cut off point for low frequencies (eg 80 Hz) so that main speakers don't play below these frequencies? Can it be customized (eg in steps of 10Hz)?
This is what you can do with the sub.
587060AA-3B6B-4A5E-869A-89822E1A8C0D.png

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
What is the version of bluetooth in this device?

For a product that sells as a wireless streaming device, the bluetooth doesn't have any info in the marketing material. Someone in reddit mentioned Bluetooth 2.1+EDR. Is that really true? How can a 14 year old specification be used in a flagship product that launched 4 years ago?
2.1+EDR is correct. How can they use that in a 4 yr old product (note: none of these are good reasons) 1) their main competitor SONOS had no Bluetooth, so they probably thought that is a win. 2) most people don’t care 3) they don’t consider this their flagship and want you to buy the RX-A3080 which has Bluetooth 4.2

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Thank you for this. That's disappointing. Search continues :)
Not sure if MusicCast is important or not to you, but all Yamaha’s AVR’S have MusicCast built in and most have lots of subwoofer filters, PEQ, etc. These amps cost $499, so look for a used AVR. There’s a RX-A2070 on eBay right now for $750.

Top Bottom