• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tannoy Revolution XT 6 Speaker Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Tannoy Revolution XT 6 stand-mount/bookshelf speaker. It is on kind loan from a local member. They cost US $1,200 but I see them discounted to $1,050.

The industrial design of the XT6 is unique with downfiring port that is integrated into the base:

Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker Audio Review.jpg

I like it!

While I did not mess with it, I think the angle is adjustable.

This is of course a coaxial design with the tweeter integrated into the center of the "woofer."

Terminals were high quality and easy to turn.

Speaker is designed in UK but manufactured in China. So yes, our scrutiny of UK designed speakers continues. :)

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I used over 800 measurement point which was sufficient to compute the sound field of the speaker.

Spinorama Audio Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker Spinorama CEA2034 frequency response measu...png

Focusing on the all important on-axis (direct path from tweeter to your ear) we see a couple of significant dips and rising amplitude above 3 kHz neither one of which is good.

On the positive front, directivity -- how close on-axis sound matches what reflects from other surfaces -- is very good with exception of one glitch around 2.5 kHz.

Because of the above, our important early reflections pretty much mirror the on-axis response:

Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker Spinorama CEA2034 early window frequency r...png

Putting the two together we get our predicted in-room response:

Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker Spinorama CEA2034 Predicted In-room freque...png

This says you are going to have a somewhat bright sound and with some parts of your music permanently EQed down. The dip in upper bass is most problematic as it is going to take away some "warmth" and detail in bass frequencies. The exaggeration in upper registers may tend to be good in the short term but not so good in longer term.

The jaggies at the end visually are bad but I suspect they are two narrow relative to our auditory bandwidth to be audible as such.

Beam width horizontally is not that wide so suggest toeing in the speaker toward your ear more or less:

Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker Horizontal Beamwidth.png

Within that +-50 degree window you will have even response though which is good.

Here is the same view in our 3-D map:

Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker Horizontal Directivity Measurement.png

We see a nice beam in red but also sections taken out. Former is good, latter not so much.

Vertically the coaxial design comes through showing much better response than typical 2-way speaker:

Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker Vertical Directivity Measurement.png

So maybe if you have bare floors and ceiling that is close, this works better than non-coaxial design, all else being equal (which they definitely are not).

Impedance and waterfall show some resonances that should not be there:

Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker Impedance and Phase Measurement.png

Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker CSD Waterfall Measurement.png

Speaker Distortion Deep-dive:
Avid readers of my speaker reviews know that I am increasingly suspecting distortion plays a role at least in my listening impressions. Research says they play a distant role to tonality which I agree with. But once you have tonality, then I think distortion matters. That is the theory anyway.

To that end, I thought I significantly ratchet up our distortion measurements. Alas, doing so with Klippel NFS is hard. Most distortion measurement features in that system are optional and cost significant money. In addition, they seem to be tailored toward driver measurements than speaker (e.g. wanting me to monitor voice coil temps and such which is not practical in a speaker). Finally, usability is not great because all measurements are optimized for frequency response with asynchronous system (play a full sweep and then analyze).

I am spoiled with my Audio Precision APx555 analyzer which makes such analysis trivial. So I finally broke down and started to use the AP analyzer for speaker testing. But we are getting ahead of ourselves. Let's review our still useful Klippel distortion measurements:

Tannoy XT 6 THD vs Frequency Klippel Distortion Measurements.png

Wow, this speaker wants to produce distortion! Even at 86 dBSPL at 1 meter, it has that peak around 550 Hz and too high of distortion for the rest of the spectrum.

Once we go up to 96 dB, hell breaks loose and we have massive peaks now (right). We are talking 4 to 5% distortion where our hearing is sensitive.

No wonder then that the XT 6 easily exceeds my criteria of 50 dB while playing at 96 dB SPL:

Tannoy XT 6 THD vs Frequency Klippel Distortion at 96 dBSPL Measurements.png

I spent a few days developing more tests in Audio Precision. Work is on-going. Setup is indoor where I actually take pictures of the speakers. Acoustics of the space can impact the measurements naturally but I have worked to minimize them. Feedback is welcome from happy members on this. Grumpy ones please find something else to do.

Let's start simple with linearity test. This is what you are used to in my DAC tests. Since I do not want to go deaf, and there is plenty of noise in my room, the range is quite a bit more limited than when testing electronics. Still, it shows nicely when the speaker reaches its playback limit:

Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker Linearity and Power Handling Measurement.png

The horizontal scale is calibrated to 96 dBSPL at 1 meter. Our knee in the curve for XT6 is at +16 dB. Adding that to 96 we get a playback level of 112 dB SPL at 1 meter. Yes, I was wearing an ear plug. My wife was not though and complained to be literally getting sick (after I ran the test 20 times to get it all adjusted :D ).

I hope to build a table for this over time so we can easily track and compare one speaker to another. For now, you can see that the Revel M106 giving up 2 dB earlier at 110 dB SPL.

There is some linear compression in both speakers to the tune of 0.5 dB. It will be interesting to see if this repeats with other speakers.

Let's examine the distortion profile starting with a rather quiet 86 dBSPL at 1 meter:

Tannoy XT 6 THD vs Frequency Distortion Measurements.png

Our reference Revel M106 clearly has much lower distortion, a difference that it shows much more clearly when we go to the other extreme at 106 dB:

Tannoy XT 6 THD vs Frequency 106 dB Distortion Measurements.png

Interesting spikes in distortion in XT 6 around 2.1 kHz or so. It only develops at this high output level:

Tannoy XT 6 THD vs Frequency All Distortion Measurements.png

Something bad is happening around there so perhaps our linearity test is overestimating how clean the speaker can play (linearity is only at 200 Hz).

There has been a lot of requests for intermodulation tests. Alas, AP's IMD tests are designed for electronics and as such, won't allow me to dial down too low of a frequency for the second tone. With default of say, 7 kHz for the upper tone and 60 Hz for the lower, each would be played from a different driver and not show proper intermodulation results.

There is a special test called "MOD" where this restriction is less severe. I was able to play dual tones within the range of the woofer but which tones to use? I picked 85 and 655 Hz:
Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker Non-linearity Measurement.png

We see quite a gap here between Revel M106 and Tannoy XT 6. I will have to test a lot more speakers to build confidence in this test and dial the frequencies better.

Finally the test I really liked to run was the spectrum analysis. Here it is for 100 Hz tone:

Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker 100 Hz Harmonics Measurement.jpg

So quite a lot of harmonics. Conventional wisdom says low frequency distortion is not audible. Is it? Let's overlay threshold of hearing on that:

Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker 100 Hz harmonics relative to threshold of ...png

Naturally harmonics of the 100 Hz extend well into our hearing range where our ears are lot more sensitive. We see that the bars easily exceed the threshold of hearing so they are going to mix with musical detail at low levels and obscure them.

We need to look at masking as well so this is not a complete analysis but there is some smoke here. :)

I have a lot more measurements but am going to stop here until I develop them more.

Speaker Listening Tests
I looked at the measurements first before listening and expected "bad sound" but such was not the case during my first "5 second" impression. What I was hearing was light to be sure -- indicative of the high frequency emphasis. Audibility was not nearly as bad as I expected however.

I filled in the gaps and knocked down the highs and that definitely helped. But given the theme of this review -- focus on distortion -- I went another way. I still took the highs down. And put in the usual high pass filter to get rid of the most extreme distortions. Latter did the trick as before, nicely improving detail in higher spectrum with no effect on amount of bass. I then added to very sharp notches at dominant distortion points:

Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf Stand-mount Speaker Equalilzation Roon.png

Due to our auditory bandwidth being much higher, neither notch filter changed tonality. It did however clean up the notes, getting rid of grunginess and lack of clarity in them. Granted, same thing can happen if you just imagine it so. :) But I think they are helping and would be something to experiment with.

Before and after made a significant difference, making the speaker less bright and cleaner. Ideal solution would call for additional filters to fill in the gaps.

Conclusions
The Tannoy Revolution XT 6 brings distinct looks to a crowded market which I liked. Objectively though, the coaxial design brought with it a choppy and uneven frequency response which research and my experience shows to not be good. Fortunately the audible effect is not severe. What is severe is level of measured distortion. This distortion in my opinion is audible and serves to produce a distorted sound. Fortunately careful EQ seems to deal with them but then wind up with so many patches to get the speaker to sound right. The designer should have done this, not us.

So overall, I can't recommend the Tannoy XT 6.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Yet again I am posting a review way past lunch time and when my sugar reservoir has emptied. I highly suggest if you are going to complain about something, that you donate first to get me in good mood using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Tannoy Revolution XT 6.zip
    86.9 KB · Views: 192

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Thanks a lot for the augmented distorsion measurements! Really worth the time in my opinion; well, especially since it's not mine, heh. You're nearing exhaustivity with this (would be nice if AP could compute the Gedlee metric too).

I did expect better from this, as reviews were quite enthusiastic and the measurements from https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...olution-xt-8f-floor-standing-speakers-review/ for the XT 8F were not too bad (well, they actually are, FR scale is too big, as always). Doesn't make me optimistic about their Gold monitors.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Preference Rating
SCORE: 1.7
SCORE w/sub: 4.2
:eek: Just behead the Panther, @amirm...

Was just remembering I was almost about to pull the trigger on bigger XT8Fs back in 2015 (only based on subjective reviews)... I listened to them and found it was a very unpleasant experience. This XT6's measurements (and ones of XT8F) are quite significant: Nowadays, Tannoy has no clue about how to integrate crossover/coax drivers...(anymore?)

XT8F by Stereo DE:

IMG_20200712_233518.jpg

Hum...
Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 5.31.17 PM.png

At least, they nailed vertical directiviy: it is cohesively bad!:p

Last edited:

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it's not your name, but Jesus Christ! I'm gobsmacked by your dedication to serve the audiophiles in the world. This is the most interesting turn of events in the audio community since some crazy lunatic on the internet bought himself a Klippel NFS to serve audiophiles around the world free world-class measurements!

I wish fame and fortune upon you and your kin! ❤

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great to see development in the review methodology - and one must use a speaker with flaws to detect flaws, so thanks to Tannoy for providing such a speaker. ;) @amirm, could you please explain the linearity measurement WRT to speakers? I'm not clear on what the dBrG axis indicates? And, how should we think about audibility of this measurement?

ttimer

I'm British and am sorry about our speakers. One day we'll get one right :rolleyes:
Don’t sweat it, this is just the misshapen brother of the magnificent specimen that is the KEF R3.

Man, I was all ready to cheekily call these a poor man's KEF, but I guess they are really a rich man's Klipsch.

R.I.P. Tannoy.

Getting coaxials right seems to be really hard. I’m kind of curious how the Gradient speakers with the SEAS coaxial would measure.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I appreciate the effort to bring distortion and compression data in to play here. Always nice to see additional information. Though, the layout and presentation is definitely something that will take some getting used to (or possibly, be better served for someone with some coding experience to make it easier to read). At least IMHO.

As to the specifics of measurement accuracy, how exactly are these measurements taken? Indoor in your listening room, I saw. At the listening position? Or nearfield (and if so, how nearfield/placement of mic relative to speaker driver)? I assume there is no gating here because the response extends all the way down to 20Hz in some of the graphics. I am guessing in the listening position. If that is the case then you will, indeed, always have to do comparative testing and make any analysis/conclusions based on deltas only as you stated here:
so we can easily track and compare one speaker to another

The longer the window time, the more reflections "get in" to the measurement and they are just another form of distortion. Klippel even discusses it in this document (image attached below). I'm just trying to get an understanding of the setup conditions so I know how to interpret the results going forward.

1594591100780.png

Along those lines, Klippel also have some great application notes on their various modules using the IMD & MTON data. DIS is one. You might want to peruse those to get an idea of how to present the data in various fashions. Just a suggestion. Not bashing. Trying to help since you said this is all in the early stages. Might as well get the presentation down and solid now rather than have people pick it apart later when you're 30 tests deep. As you know they will do. Might even be worth splitting in to a separate thread for now until you get it down just so there is no confusion as your methods may change for the next few tests until you get a specific method laid down.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not surprised these are a mess, I'd love to know how their massive old world ones measure.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First time I've seen a decent difference between Stereophile's measurements.

Here is the 30-degree horizontal listening window compared (ignore <300Hz):
chart (72).png

620Tan6fig4.jpg

They measured a huge rise between 2500Hz-4500Hz.
If we take the Klipple measurements and bring down the hump from ~800Hz-1800Hz, then it looks more similar.

Their normalized horizontal directivity is much better though:
Horizontal Directivity Normalized (2).png

620Tan6fig5.jpg

That 3kHz region is showing no issues with Stereophile's.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Great review. May I suggest to run the multitone test to get a visual of the IMD? Sound&Recording do this, using 60 tones resulting in a test signal similar to noise with a crest factor of 12 dB, played at 85 dB SPL A-weighted at 2m (near field speaker) or 4m (mid field speaker) distance.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Along those lines, Klippel also have some great application notes on their various modules using the IMD & MTON data. DIS is one. You might want to peruse those to get an idea of how to present the data in various fashions. Just a suggestion.
I have read all of their ap notes and tried their modules (multiple times actually). They simply do not work as well as AP software and harder to use as well. Don't agree on presentation either.

Top Bottom