• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman ananda needs amplifier?

NoFun4U

I used portable player previously (Sony wm1a) and recently got a hifiman ananda. right now, I used wm1a 4.4 port to drive ananda (at around volume 55 high gain) and is generally satisfied. I got a few questions and listed as below.

1) I was thinking if a deckstop dac and amplifier (around usd 300 to 500) would improve the sound (especially on the imaging and soundstage).

2) i am looking at smsl m200 + sp200, smsl m500, topping dx7pro. which one is better?

3) is it ok for me to connect my sony wm1a > otg cable > usb a to usb b cable > dac?

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ananda isnt very hungry, but it does benefit from a dedicated amp. All the ones you mentioned have more than enough power for them. Technically speaking, the sp200 will be the more powerful amp.

And about 3, yes, as long the Sony has no problem bypassing it's own audio to an external dac via usb.

Bob-23

improve the sound (especially on the imaging and soundstage).
As you are generally satisfied, I'd change your current setting only if it definitely doesn't play loud enough and/or you can hear noise/distortion at your usual volume level. Imaging and sound stage won't be changed by another setting, they mainly depend on the headphones and the quality of the recording (you might try a crossfeed filter).

OP
N

NoFun4U

As you are generally satisfied, I'd change your current setting only if it definitely doesn't play loud enough and/or you can hear noise/distortion at your usual volume level. Imaging and sound stage won't be changed by another setting, they mainly depend on the headphones and the quality of the recording (you might try a crossfeed filter).
for same volume level, is that power of the DAP output is same as the desktop amp?
as it seems to me that more power will make separation better and larger soundstage. if the output power of DAP and desktop amp are the same (for my usual volume level), is the soundstage and the separation should be similar?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It doesn't require a lot of power but needs good quality clean signal. It can be really revealing in the late night with environment being quiet.

Top Bottom