• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

Kw6

IMO maybe but it would be very far from optimal. JBL suggests "25 – 200 watts suggested amplifier range"
With a 6 ohm, 91db sensitivity they sure wouldn't crack any plaster.
A speaker as revealing as these deserves something much better than a 8w SET distortion box.
With a good clean solid state 100-200 watt amp these babies would really sing.
https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/loudspeakers/type/bookshelf-loudspeakers/4429.html

Ok you have a point there! Thanks!

Pjetrof

Thx to this and harbeth site my current system and again money in the pocket.
room 9 meters by 4.
open rectangular room
speakers on long side
left speaker 1,5 meter from wall speakers 2 meters apart right speaker approx 5 meter from wall
seating distance 3 meters
amp behringer a800
streamer ieast soundstreamer m20
dac topping d50
speakers harbeth 30.2
cables van Damme blue series

image.jpg

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why did you mount the small Gennies horizontal?
because the K&M ceiling mount I am using has only 2 holes. I would need an adapter to put them vertically. I had some Focal Shape 40
before and the holes/screws used to be in the reverse position. I have been too lazy to hunt for an adapter.

I have now put the small 8341 on top of the W371 and it also works well (with less max output) but I still easily can get 100 dB 17Hz to 20k (97 dB at 15Hw). I am more and more convinced that the bass boost people like is because smaller speakers cannot produce them. I don't need to boost bass at all. In room I have a nice slopping curve to -6dB at 20kHz. -10dB is too dark for me possibly due to age.

Archsam

Current system:

20200530_114901.jpg

Harbeth P3esr speakers
REL T5i subwoofer
Yamaha A-S3000 integrated amp
Matrix Audio Element X DAC / streamer
Cambridge CXU universal player
Sony ST-SDB900 DAB tuner

* speaker stands are cheap £20 steel DIY job I bought years ago. Clearly not tall enough for the Harbeths. I planned to build my own using wood, when the world returns to 'normal' whatever and whenever it happens.

Darkvoice THA332 tube headphone amp
Focal Clear headphones
B&W P7 headphones
Etymotics ER4XR IEM
Shure SE535 IEM
Bose QuietComfort 25 (for travelling)

Past hifi gears:
Benchmark DAC1
AKG K702 headphones
Monitor Audio Silver S2 speakers
KEF Q1 speakers
Arcam A85 integrated amp
Arcam CD73t CD player
Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
Paradigm 5.1 home theatre speakers, monitor series from early 2000s
Yamaha RX-340 AVR
Rotel RA-01 stereo amp

ripvw

Forum Donor
System Update:

2017 Apple iMac 27 running Tidal Hi-Fi 44.1k and Apple Music library of burned CD's using Apple Lossless, as well as the usual YouTube, SoundCloud, NPR, PBS, Netflix, Amazon and various other audio/video sources
Topping D90 standard non-MQA DAC/preamp - USB input only, running in DAC mode
Topping A90 headphone amp/preamp
Etymotic ER4SR IEM using low gain on the A90
Kali IN-8 studio monitors
Blue Jeans Cable 3-foot Canare L-4E6S Star Quad XLR from D90 to A90, 10-foot Canare L-4E6S Star Quad XLR from the A90 to the IN-8s
Stock power cords replaced by Benchmark locking 14-gauge AC cords of varying lengths along with $40 Panamax surge protector just because...
Desktop system with Kali's located on sand-filled 32" Pangea DS-400 stands about 1 meter from listening position (too close)
Very happy with new addition Topping A90.
May add AKG K712 Pro headphones and Tripp Lite Isobar surge protector in the near future - otherwise done until I move from my current residence

http://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/398270.html

http://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/472128.html

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4-micropro-earphones-373.html

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/cables/products/locking-power-cord?variant=6863689473

https://www.pangeaaudio.com/Pangea-Audios-DS-400-Speaker-Stand?quantity=1&height=4

Last edited:

wgb113

Swapped my KEF LS50W/Elac SUB3010 combo for a pair of Dynaudio LYD 48:

L8BxmvG.jpg

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My until I figure out what my system should actually be system

Attachments

• 20200621_204312.jpg
    20200621_204312.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 225

wgb113

The white front LYD-48s look good in your room. Mine are all-black.

What stands are you using?
Thanks!

I wanted something with a wide, heavy base for stability and a large top plate so I went with Konig & Meyer's Design monitor stand (26791) with the 26792-032 top plate. They have the added benefit of being height-adjustable so should I need to convert this room to a temporary WFH office I can bring in a desk and a different chair and simply raise them up. Very happy with the stands, Thomann's packing was a nightmare though - I'm surprised they survived without a mark.

Old Listener

Thanks!

I wanted something with a wide, heavy base for stability and a large top plate so I went with Konig & Meyer's Design monitor stand (26791) with the 26792-032 top plate. They have the added benefit of being height-adjustable so should I need to convert this room to a temporary WFH office I can bring in a desk and a different chair and simply raise them up. Very happy with the stands, Thomann's packing was a nightmare though - I'm surprised they survived without a mark.

Thanks for the info. The stands' specs look good. I use Argosy spire Classic 36" Speaker Stands. The are stable and don't seem to have audible resonances but they aren't pretty.

In another room, I use Monoprice 24" metal stands. They are stable but they ring when the sound gets loud. I'll try filling the upright columns with sand and if that doesn't work, I'll look for other stands.

wgb113

Thanks for the info. The stands' specs look good. I use Argosy spire Classic 36" Speaker Stands. The are stable and don't seem to have audible resonances but they aren't pretty.

In another room, I use Monoprice 24" metal stands. They are stable but they ring when the sound gets loud. I'll try filling the upright columns with sand and if that doesn't work, I'll look for other stands.
Yeah, in terms of height I needed something that was about 30" for my normal seated height and that could go up to @ 41" in case I move a desk/desk chair into the room. Most pro stands are only 36" or 42" and most consumer stands are 24" so these fit the bill, even though they're much more than I wanted to spend on stands.

I did notice that the soundstage definitely shifts up/down in line with the speakers so getting them so that the acoustic axis (point between tweeter and midrange) is on par with your ears does seem to be important.

Have you settled on any particular settings in terms of the built in Bass Extension and Sound Balance options?

Old Listener

My comments in Bold type.
Yeah, in terms of height I needed something that was about 30" for my normal seated height and that could go up to @ 41" in case I move a desk/desk chair into the room. Most pro stands are only 36" or 42" and most consumer stands are 24" so these fit the bill, even though they're much more than I wanted to spend on stands.

Yeah, stands just don't see a sexy use of money.

I did notice that the soundstage definitely shifts up/down in line with the speakers so getting them so that the acoustic axis (point between tweeter and midrange) is on par with your ears does seem to be important.

Yes, 36" stands put the axis at ear height (42") for me. In the living room, I sit in a lower chair and recline somewhat; 24" stands are right in that application.

Have you settled on any particular settings in terms of the built in Bass Extension and Sound Balance options?

input sensitivity: -6dB
Extension: 0
Sound Balance: N
Position: Wall (10.5" from back of speaker to wall)
Standby is on

I use DSP in the JRiver s/w to do most of the room correction.

wgb113

@Old Listener so far my only differences are Input Sensitivity (0dB) and Position (Free) as I have mine so that their closest corner are 20" from the wall when toed-in.

Ever think of sending Amirm them to measure?

Pjetrof

So my Benchmark project have to wait a bit longer.
Insecurity with the Corona crisis and the second wave hitting my home town Antwerp very hard.
With this i like to wish everyone good health.
Still like to share proud new owner of a NOS Quad Elite Stack.
Pre
Cdx
Qsp
Like the old style with my Harbeths 30.2 walnut veneer.
Sound wise play the same as my Behringer a800.

Archsam

Current system:

View attachment 66236

Harbeth P3esr speakers
REL T5i subwoofer
Yamaha A-S3000 integrated amp
Matrix Audio Element X DAC / streamer
Cambridge CXU universal player
Sony ST-SDB900 DAB tuner

* speaker stands are cheap £20 steel DIY job I bought years ago. Clearly not tall enough for the Harbeths. I planned to build my own using wood, when the world returns to 'normal' whatever and whenever it happens.

Darkvoice THA332 tube headphone amp
Focal Clear headphones
B&W P7 headphones
Etymotics ER4XR IEM
Shure SE535 IEM
Bose QuietComfort 25 (for travelling)

Past hifi gears:
Benchmark DAC1
AKG K702 headphones
Monitor Audio Silver S2 speakers
KEF Q1 speakers
Arcam A85 integrated amp
Arcam CD73t CD player
Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
Paradigm 5.1 home theatre speakers, monitor series from early 2000s
Yamaha RX-340 AVR
Rotel RA-01 stereo amp

Update on my current system:

Out goes the Harbeth P3esr, in comes the Revel M105 :p

Full system 2.jpg

Archsam

How do they differ from each other?

Well, this will take some explaining :D, and I also want to take time to listen more (I had the M105 for 2 weeks now) and do some measurements with REW - I have measured the Harbeth before but I will redo them since I now have a different speaker stand, and I want to compare the 2 speakers like-for-like.

But for now, my subjective observations are:

- the M105 are no doubt a more 'complete' speaker vs. the Harbeth. They sound better with more music genre, which is no surprise to many.
- the M105 are more dynamic, and this does not apply only to rock and classical. Even with small jazz ensemble the percussion sounds more distinct, and more realistic. Instrument separation is more convincing with the M105 then the Harbeth.
- as some have noted with the M105, the high / mid / bass are better integrated with this speaker. The P3esr are very good in fooling me with with a slight bass hump around 175Hz in my room, to hide the fact that they don't go low, but when I listened to the same song while swapping between the 2 speakers the difference is clear.
- the mid and treble are surprisingly similar between the 2 speakers.
- on some songs the M105 are magical. One of my reference track is Dire Strait's "You and your friend". I used to listen to this song on a friends high end system with a pair of Martinlogan Quest, and the way Mark Knopfler's voice floats in the middle has always been my own reference for holographic sound stage. Well the M105 is the closest to replicate that experience out of all the box speakers I have ever listened to.
- I will say 80% of the time the M105 sound better. But there are a few songs that still sound best on the Harbeth. One album I recently discovered is by Japanese singer Hideaki Tokunaga called 'Vocalist Vintage'. Hideaki has a very high voice, and on the Harbeth his voice has a little more weight to it that sound mesmorizing, whereas on the M105 his voice sounded 'correct' but is on the thin side and just a little less convincing. I hope to understand why this is a bit better after doing some in room measurement.

- the M105 produces more bass, that I don't need to mention. However in my small living room it is boomy and slightly overpowering. I am doing a few things to deal with this, currently I have extended the basis reflex port with a piece of rolled up paper to tune the resonance frequency and it's doing a good job at the moment. I just ordered some pipe insulation (to reduce the port diameter) and I want to play with that and see if there is further improves. Before anyone ask, I am streaming music from my DAS to my DAC via wifi, which means it's not possible to run software room correction filters to tame the bass. I might eventually buy a Minidsp one day but for now, I am trying to avoid the expense and adding another component to the system.

Last edited:

paddycrow

Forum Donor
I actually have three systems in my house. The basement home theater attracts the most visitors:

Attachments

• IMG_1493.jpg
    IMG_1493.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1489-1.jpg
    IMG_1489-1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 290
  • IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 295
Top Bottom