• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

Benaudio

Yes I have tried a variety of dongles (apple usb C to A, apple multipart, cheap amazon usb c hub, Anker usb dongle, multiple cables), with no result at all.
Anyway using a hub negates the convenience of 9038s size.

I'm bummed and mad at apple right now, would be great if Comtrue could solve the issue to be honest

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

VonGoethe

What changes /fixes does this provide please Ivan? I'm thinking I'll leave well alone unless benefits!

New features:
- PTL function, which allows you to adjust max volume limit with 3dbfs steps. - cool feature

The FW pack includes 8 versions with different filters and SE mode, known from gen2.

Attachments

• FW_content.pdf
    235.7 KB · Views: 425

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
New features:
- PTL function, which allows you to adjust max volume limit with 3dbfs steps. - cool feature

The FW pack includes 8 versions with different filters and SE mode, known from gen2.
Thanks. Easy to install? Unzip on pc and execute I guess?

ZeDestructor

Yes, I working on it but still not finished yet.

Is there any chance that the 3.5mm SE version will have an ADC for mic input? This would be very convenient for use on the go with headphones/headphone cables that have an inline mic, or even just a splitter to headphones + modmic or similar.

Benaudio

Bad news (for me), after the issues on my MacBook Pro, I also have drop outs on my Samsung S10 and UAPP, around one every minute. Tried different buffer and USB tweaks within the apps without success.
Anyone had experienced something similar?

Edit: more like 1 glitch every 20 seconds or so

Beginning to think that my 9038s might be faulty. Bought it on Hifigo, hope I don't have to send it all the way back to China...

Last edited:

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
I listened to my 9038SG3 last night using UAPP and Samsung Galaxy S8 with no drop outs for around 45 minutes.

That's with the latest firmware, although I never noticed any dropouts with the original firmware.

Benaudio

Sorry to post back on my issue, but maybe people buy the new MacBooks will face it as well, so I joined the discord and posted this message in the hope to find a solution and share it

Hi, hope you guys can help me
My 9038S works on every device I tried it on (macbook 2015, windows laptop, Samsung S10) except on my new Macbook Pro 2020.
All other DAC I have (Dragonfly, Fiio Q1, ES100) work on this laptop
When I connect, the led lights and when I hit play I just have horrible stutter
Someone suggested that could have to do with the macbook pro 2020 usb2 issues as posted on reddit, but that issue seems to be more related to hub usage.
Anybody having this issue? Any insight would be appreciated

VonGoethe

Sorry to post back on my issue, but maybe people buy the new MacBooks will face it as well, so I joined the discord and posted this message in the hope to find a solution and share it

Hi, hope you guys can help me
My 9038S works on every device I tried it on (macbook 2015, windows laptop, Samsung S10) except on my new Macbook Pro 2020.
All other DAC I have (Dragonfly, Fiio Q1, ES100) work on this laptop
When I connect, the led lights and when I hit play I just have horrible stutter
Someone suggested that could have to do with the macbook pro 2020 usb2 issues as posted on reddit, but that issue seems to be more related to hub usage.
Anybody having this issue? Any insight would be appreciated
Look some posts above.
Seems to be a "USB-gate" in the Apple world: https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...0-accessories-in-2020-macbook-air-macbook-pro

Benaudio

I'm not using any hub, connected direct, so not sure if its the same issue?
Also, why my other usb2 dacs and others usb2 gear (mouse), work flawlessly?

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I got my E1DA 9038s a couple of days back. It is an absolute delight to listen through this dac+amp. Vocals, instruments and background music come together as members of one orchestra.
I have Centrance DACport HD and obj O2 amp. I love those products but I like this even more.

That's some great praise! :D

Reactions: PSO

jacksonstrom

Hi @IVX,
I'm going to buy the E1DA 9038S Gen 3: I don't have a balanced cable for my headphones so I was wondering if the forthcoming 9038D will have the same performance of the wonderful 9038S. In other words: is it still true that a balanced connections is better than an unbalanced one? Should I wait for the 9038D?
Thanks for you great work!!

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Is there a way I can connect this to my JBL M-Patch Active 1? I have a 2.5mm balanced to dual RCA cable but I know that the RCA inputs of the JBL are not balanced. I believe the other inputs are TRS balanced or unbalanced. Could I use 2.5mm to XLR and then XLR to TRS adapters? But what would happen when I plug in an unbalanced pair of headphones into one of the front TRS outputs?

Here is the schematic of the JBL. I'm actually using the PowerDac V2 but the connection is the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• JBL Active 1 Schematic.PNG
    JBL Active 1 Schematic.PNG
    81.8 KB · Views: 146

tsanguine

Forum Donor
It is possible but:
a) you need to add GND wire from the USB
b) PDv2 has a residual switching at 384kHz, and your amp maybe not ready for that
These would run into JBL LSR305's. Would the ground need to connect from the sleeve of usb to sleeve of both left and right TRS connectors?

MalinYamato

9018sG3 with Y-spliter and C-to-C cable ordered fom E1DAs store at Ali, and on its way -- hope to have it before X-mas.

Top Bottom