• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

dpippel

I just got this and have it paired up with the S.M.S.L M200 - DAC mode, balanced in, low gain, listening with a Focal Clear via the balanced out, using the volume pot on the amp. Superb in every way. I know we're all objective here, but I've been comparing this with the S.M.S.L SP200 using the same DAC, and I feel the Monoprice has a wider and deeper soundstage. A bit more three dimensional. Maybe it's that bottomless pit of power? Maybe confirmation bias? ;) This certainly is a clean, transparent, and powerful amp. The SP200 sounds a bit more like I have two speakers strapped to my head, which of course I do. I'm leaning towards keeping the Monoprice even though I prefer the size, stackability, aesthetics, and PRICE of the SP200.

Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

escalibur

I just got this and have it paired up with the S.M.S.L M200 - DAC mode, balanced in, low gain, listening with a Focal Clear via the balanced out, using the volume pot on the amp. Superb in every way. I know we're all objective here, but I've been comparing this with the S.M.S.L SP200 using the same DAC, and I feel the Monoprice has a wider and deeper soundstage. A bit more three dimensional. Maybe it's that bottomless pit of power? Maybe confirmation bias? ;) This certainly is a clean, transparent, and powerful amp. The SP200 sounds a bit more like I have two speakers strapped to my head, which of course I do. I'm leaning towards keeping the Monoprice even though I prefer the size, stackability, aesthetics, and PRICE of the SP200.

Decisions, decisions.
Or just get Topping L30 unless you definitely need balanced? :) It costs much less and probably beats both in terms of better measurements if it even matters anymore at these scales.

dpippel

Or just get Topping L30 unless you definitely need balanced? :) It costs much less and probably beats both in terms of better measurements if it even matters anymore at these scales.

The L30 isn't available yet. ;) And yes, I prefer balanced.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any advantage to using the balanced xlr inputs or would the single ended rca inputs be equivalent? Headphones would have balanced cables.

Celty

Is there any advantage to using the balanced xlr inputs or would the single ended rca inputs be equivalent? Headphones would have balanced cables.
XLR vs. Single Ended Inputs: Primarily the advantage of XLR over SE is eliminating the issue of ground loop related noise (if you have any). Makes longer runs less susceptible to noise.

XLR vs. Single Ended Output: Specifically with the THX design of the 887/789, with XLR you of course get the full power available vs. SE.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
XLR vs. Single Ended Inputs: Primarily the advantage of XLR over SE is eliminating the issue of ground loop related noise (if you have any). Makes longer runs less susceptible to noise.

XLR vs. Single Ended Output: Specifically with the THX design of the 887/789, with XLR you of course get the full power available vs. SE.

Thanks! I'm not worried about ground loop or induced noise via the input cable, but are you saying that balanced headphones, using the balanced headphone jack, won't be able to receive max power if the SE inputs are used? Why would that be? For a SE input, wouldn't the amp just invert the input signal and send it to the "second" amplifier?

Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
Thanks! I'm not worried about ground loop or induced noise via the input cable, but are you saying that balanced headphones, using the balanced headphone jack, won't be able to receive max power if the SE inputs are used? Why would that be? For a SE input, wouldn't the amp just invert the input signal and send it to the "second" amplifier?

I think he was referring to the SE output.

dpippel

1594082269084.png

index.php

Attachments

• 1594082308803.png
    1594082308803.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,508

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welp, now that @Labjr and @dpippel have clarified that it's the balanced output that differs from the se output, can anyone confirm that the se input and balanced input should be equivalent in the absence of induced or ground loop noise via the cable?

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Welp, now that @Labjr and @dpippel have clarified that it's the balanced output that differs from the se output, can anyone confirm that the se input and balanced input should be equivalent in the absence of induced or ground loop noise via the cable?

There is volume difference, but with 887 or the 789 I would use RCA since with XLR at full output it will clip. For A90 XLR all the way since it seems very prone to noise with RCA. Although personally I am running RCA to A90 with zero issue ATM.

dubsubs

Best place to buy in EU / Germany ?? Would like to cancel the Drop 789 (310usd + 52usd customs to germany prolly) before it drops, if the 887 is actually available out here for 400usd.

Veri

Master Contributor
Best place to buy in EU / Germany ?? Would like to cancel the Drop 789 (310usd + 52usd customs to germany prolly) before it drops, if the 887 is actually available out here for 400usd.
The 887 was available from monoprice.eu direct via this link here. It is far more expensive on other reseller sites.
https://www.monoprice.eu/products/m...ne-amplifier-featuring-thx-aaa-887-technology
Unfortunately, the stock management on monoprice.eu is quite bizarre in that it throws a 404 error if the product is currently unavailable. I mailed them about this and they simply answered: "The Monolith THX AAA 887 amplifier is as the moment not available in our EU Stores. It should be back in stock by end of June. Please feel free to check with us again."

Considering we are long past the end of June, I suggest shooting monoprice EU another mail. They are by far the best source to buy from, that is, when they have stock... Alternatively you could look and see if anyone has a used one for sale.. not sure if there are (m)any around :)

Edit: it looks like audiophonics sells it for the same price as monoprice.eu now, which is 399euro. Only difference from what I remember, monoprice had free shipping so you need to add the shipping cost from FR. You cannot buy it for 400usd ... you need to factor in shipping and import charge from USA, try calculating the cost from monoprice.com and you'll be surprised how much the shipping charge is. Intl shipping is expensive, not to mention duties. Unless you hop on a plane and bring the amp with you on the way back, you won't find it anywhere for 400usd I'm afraid.

Last edited:

wplchou88

I was gonna get the drop 789 at 300 + 30 usd shipping to where i live (have to wait for 4 months) but then amazon has a free shipping thing going on so got this at 400 usd flat! idk if i should feel bad spending 20% more to have the same thing 4 months earlier, but im certainly excited!

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 887 was available from monoprice.eu direct via this link here. It is far more expensive on other reseller sites.
https://www.monoprice.eu/products/m...ne-amplifier-featuring-thx-aaa-887-technology
Unfortunately, the stock management on monoprice.eu is quite bizarre in that it throws a 404 error if the product is currently unavailable. I mailed them about this and they simply answered: "The Monolith THX AAA 887 amplifier is as the moment not available in our EU Stores. It should be back in stock by end of June. Please feel free to check with us again."

Considering we are long past the end of June, I suggest shooting monoprice EU another mail. They are by far the best source to buy from, that is, when they have stock... Alternatively you could look and see if anyone has a used one for sale.. not sure if there are (m)any around :)

Edit: it looks like audiophonics sells it for the same price as monoprice.eu now, which is 399euro. Only difference from what I remember, monoprice had free shipping so you need to add the shipping cost from FR. You cannot buy it for 400usd ... you need to factor in shipping and import charge from USA, try calculating the cost from monoprice.com and you'll be surprised how much the shipping charge is. Intl shipping is expensive, not to mention duties. Unless you hop on a plane and bring the amp with you on the way back, you won't find it anywhere for 400usd I'm afraid.

I was in similar situation in Canada, I really wanted to buy it but had to pay shipping plus tax, so end up holding out for A90 which costed me about the same. However newegg.ca has it now and it's about CAD $120 less than A90, making it a solid choice now.

vuther

Would upgrading to 887 from Liquid Spark yield a big sound performance for LCD-X? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

parrot5

Anyone tell me how the SE output on the 887 stacks up against the RME ADI-2 DAC?
I was just comparing this exact setup last night with the HD800. I know this is ASR, but they do sound a bit different when the music gets complex.
The RME headphone out has all the details “in your face”, hard, like banging your forehead against the instruments. Also reminds me of the old Fiio sound signature.
The 887 keeps the vocal/mids focussed and intimate like the RME, but everything else has a bit more breathing room.

Nothing wrong with either, considering the RME is made for music-making, and the 887 made for music-listening.

parrot5

Does the 887 come with a manual? Would like to see the specs and wonder if it states the optimal input voltage etc. I didn’t find a manual in the box.

dpippel

Does the 887 come with a manual? Would like to see the specs and wonder if it states the optimal input voltage etc. I didn’t find a manual in the box.

Nope. No manual in the box, or online for that matter. Guess they forgot to write one. ;)

Top Bottom