• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hamilton (2020 Disney+ streaming)

youngho

Hi, has anyone watched the Disney+ live stream of Hamilton and thought about the acoustics? We only watched the first act. My first impression was that the direct mic'ing of the performers lagged milliseconds behind the orchestra, though the other ambient recordings don't reflect that. I assume that it's because the performers rely on auditory cues from the orchestra, which demonstrates an admirable flexibility in terms of timing and tempo, based on the individual performances, especially in History Has Its Eyes on You. I could also hear the difference in the ambient acoustics between the two. Anyway, would be interested in hearing anyone else's comments.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/07/03/burst/Hamilton-stream-disney.html
https://www.dpamicrophones.com/news/dpa-continues-to-deliver-fresh-sound-to-hamilton

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I have a pretty good HT setup, but I found the dialog very difficult to understand about one-third of the time. I haven't had that problem with most other video material. That pretty much ruined it for me and I only made it through 47 minutes. I'll give it another try with subtitles if they're available. I hope King George makes some more appearances.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have a pretty good HT setup, but I found the dialog very difficult to understand about one-third of the time.
I have had the same problem with every documentary on this play. I am glad it wasn't just me.

I love to watch this but have no use for a Disney subscription so won't be able to.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had the same problem with every documentary on this play. I am glad it wasn't just me.

I love to watch this but have no use for a Disney subscription so won't be able to.
I was about to suggest using their free 7 day trial program which I used a while back to watch The Mandalorian, but they shut it down recently.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? They don't even have a trial now?
They suspended it because they knew people would get it just for Hamilton and cancel after watching it.

I know I am going to sail the seas to watch it. I wish I could pay to rent it. I’ve already watched an audience recording, so it’s not like I don’t know what the play looks like, but watching a professional recording would be nice.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s $7 people . You don’t have to subscribe for a year. Just binge for a month , well worth it in my opinion.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pretty good HT setup, but I found the dialog very difficult to understand about one-third of the time. I haven't had that problem with most other video material. That pretty much ruined it for me and I only made it through 47 minutes. I'll give it another try with subtitles if they're available. I hope King George makes some more appearances.

Odd, we didn't have that issue (7.1.4-channel setup, AppleTV 4K streamer). It sounds superb. Were you also using a full Atmos setup? A different streaming device?

My now 6 year-old daughter has been obsessed with the cast album for a while. She does a mean "I Know Him" from memory. We had tickets to take her to the touring production in May, but obviously... She's already seen it in full 4x.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Odd, we didn't have that issue (7.1.4-channel setup, AppleTV 4K streamer). It sounds superb. Were you also using a full Atmos setup? A different streaming device?

My now 6 year-old daughter has been obsessed with the cast album for a while. She does a mean "I Know Him" from memory. We had tickets to take her to the touring production in May, but obviously... She's already seen it in full 4x.
No Atmos Just 5.1. I listened with ear phones and subtitles tonight and that solved the problem. But even with phones, I had to rely on the printed word more than I would have liked. I'm glad I gave it another chance--the second act is stronger musically--a lot more variety. I've played in about every traditional musical out there. It's nice to see the old formula being bent and expanded.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not being able to make out the Hamilton lyrics is a big plus. A Disney plus!

It's nothing to do Disney+ or the recording quality, the speed and style of the rap-singing is just very hard to make out, even when I saw it on Broadway.

It's much more enjoyable experience with subtitles on. Even better than seeing it in person for me.

OP
Y

youngho

We streamed ours from my wife's phone to a 3rd gen Apple TV, 7.1.2 setup using Dolby IIx Movie. I saw the first touring production without having listened to the recordings previously, but I've listened enough times and read the lyrics that I could make out almost all the lyrics in the first act, except for a few of Hercules and Lafayette's lines, though the former tends to growl his and the latter's approach light speed in his last major solo.

What did you think about the acoustics? Did you notice any apparent timing issues or discordance between the soloists and ensemble recordings?

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My 12 year old daughter is a huge fan. As a result I knew the music and the lyrics already (she knows it off by heart and sings it all day every day).

I loved the production on Disney Plus, well worth your $7 (although we subscribe anyway - same 12 yo loves disney musicals in general). We are just disappointed because the musical was meant to come to Australia this year but obviously that's not happening fo the foreseeable future

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It’s $7 people . You don’t have to subscribe for a year. Just binge for a month , well worth it in my opinion.
Right. We watched it Sunday evening and will probably watch it again next weekend. Then, we will cancel the subscription. Already, it was worth every penny.

BTW, there were some pretty impressive LF sounds that I didn't expect. :)

TonioRoffo

Kef reference front end w/ LS50 rears in 5.1 setup. MCACC pro corrected, outboard amps. Had no problems, actually a very very good recording. (DD+ source)

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We loved it! I found the audio recording a little distant and lacking presence though... I don’t think it was an optimal recording setup. A lot of ambient reflections blurring the sound. Video was excellent.
Amazing performance! Given the prices for the live performance before COVID-19, we probably saved anywhere from 1K to 4k for 4 tickets. Of course, not quite the same experience...

OP
Y

youngho

Right. We watched it Sunday evening and will probably watch it again next weekend. Then, we will cancel the subscription. Already, it was worth every penny.

BTW, there were some pretty impressive LF sounds that I didn't expect. :)

I think "And my heart went BOOM!" was the first time in the musical. There's a brief discussion in the Hamilton: the Revolution book about the https://meyersound.com/product/1100-lfc/ subwoofers (page 185).

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What did you think about the acoustics? Did you notice any apparent timing issues or discordance between the soloists and ensemble recordings?

Not really, though I've yet to watch it "critically."

Here's a fascinating video with LMM deconstructing the influences in "My Shot."

Dare I suggest it would be useful for some to expand their musical horizons by engaging with LMM's named influences? (Except maybe the AOL bit)

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i just watched the 2020 film which i think is NOT the same as the Disney stream... and there's literally nothing to complain about

the FHD video quality is excellent... the 5.1 mix is excellent... its an extremely faithful adaption... I mean this is always going to be the case when Lin Manuel is behind the wheel at every step.

I have little interest in the subject matter but if this is what it takes to get young folks into American history then this is a real good way to do it and Miranda deserves a public service, civic award for this.

The best thing is the audience is not taking it too seriously and neither is the cast... everyone is have a good time. There are miscues sometimes but that's a part of the charm.

I originally came into this back in 2016 when the incumbent government at the time complained about the 'failing' Broadway cast making 'political statements'.

And you listen to the soundtrack and then this film and you realise you are watching anything as good or even better than Lloyd Webber.

They deserve the rewards because even 5. 10yrs 15yrs down the track its still fresh.

Top Bottom