• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer NX3000D Pro DSP Amplifier Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Behringer NX3000D Pro DSP power amplifier. It was kindly purchased new and drop shipped to me by a member. It costs US $399.

As pro amplifiers go, the NX3000D is half attractive especially when on with its amber lights and LEDs:

Behringer NX3000D Power Amplifier with DSP Audio Pro Review.jpg

There are variable (analog) gains as you see. I did not play with the DSP or menu system but it lets you do such useful things as setting up a crossover to drive a sub. There is built-in power limiting in there.

The unit is quite light. So light that you think it may fly away given its large and noisy fan:

Behringer NX3000D Power Amplifier with DSP Audio Pro Back Panel Inputs and outputs Review.jpg

The fan unfortunately is not temperature sensitive and wails away upon power up! I am sure saving weight is a big deal when you try to squeeze every dollar out of shipping costs. Good news is that as they advertise, this thing runs as cool as it can get. After a bunch of testing, the temperature was the same as the room.

Note that speaker connections are SpeakOn which I like but not common in consumer audio. Inputs are only balanced XLR/1/4 combo. There is extra gain though to use RCA unbalanced with them using an adapter. Where I placed the gain knobs provided 29 dB of gain.

Amplifier Audio Measurements
As usual, we feed the amp 1 kHz and see what else it outputs beside that at 5 watts into 4 ohm test load:

Behringer NX3000D Power Amplifier with DSP Audio Measurements.png

What it outputs is a bunch of distortion in the form of third harmonic at 3 kHz placing the unit well below average:

Best pro monitor review 2020.png

Note also the disparity in channel output which you can also see in the frequency response measurement:

Behringer NX3000D Power Amplifier with DSP Frequency Response Audio Measurements.png

The gain controls are notched so not easy to select any in-between gains to adjust for this.

Another news is how narrow the bandwidth is. Being a DSP amplifier, it digitizes the input and it seems to use 48 kHz sampling resulting in bandwidth of 24 kHz.

Noise performance is not that great at 5 watts, falling well below 96 dB we like to see for CD/streaming 16-bit content:

Behringer NX3000D Power Amplifier with DSP SNR Audio Measurements.png

Fortunately at full power (right), you do clear that hurdle.

These amps are sold almost exclusively by how much power they produce versus their cost so let's get into that with 4 ohm load:

Behringer NX3000D Power Amplifier with DSP Power into 4 ohm Audio Measurements.png

Seems like the rated power numbers are a fantasy unless they are measured for one channel driven, not two as I do. Still, 400 watts is lots of power in such a cheap package. You get a bit more as well if you allow the distortion to rise to 1% and also measure it as a peak (right):
Behringer NX3000D Power Amplifier with DSP Peak and Max Power into 4 ohm Audio Measurements.png

Switching the load to 8 ohms naturally lowers available power:
Behringer NX3000D Power Amplifier with DSP Power into 8 ohm Audio Measurements.png

Switching/class-D amps can have complex distortion profiles that highly depend on frequency and power level and we see some of that here:

Behringer NX3000D Power Amplifier with DSP Power into 4 Ohm vs Frequency and Distortion Audio ...png

At higher frequencies different distortion mechanisms become dominant causing the curves to go up and down.

While I always see some power loss at 20 Hz, it is disappointing to see it dip so low to just 268 watts for an amplifier rated at "900 watts." Bass is where we need the power.

Finally, we can remove our filter and examine the ultrasonic spectrum to see what the amp is producing there:

Behringer NX3000D Power Amplifier with DSP 1 kHz wideband FFT Spectrum Audio Measurements.png

Switching frequency seems to be around 410 kHz which is well above the audible band, and is attenuated quite a lot for a switching amplifier (-26 dB). I am not too happy to see so much other junk there though although not audible per se.

Conclusions
Pro amps can often make good alternative to hi-fi amps since they are sold at much lower cost/watt than consumer products. We get that in Behringer NX3000D but we also get the other drawbacks of pro products in the form of high fan noise. And distortion that is pretty high. If you can hide it some place and use it to do drive a subwoofer it should be fine. But otherwise, I think a more quiet amplifier would work better for home hifif than this unit.

Overall, the Behringer NX3000D is not my cup of tea for home use so I can't recommend it.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Just ate a bowl of carrots from our garden that I planted months ago. Tasted great. Alas, it is time to plant more already for fall harvest and I need money for seeds. So please donate what you can using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm surprised this one did not get a headless panther with a noisy fan and a SINAD below what even those skeptical of the need for high SINAD amplifiers. It does have a lot of power, but not not near what the manufacturer rates it for. Perhaps an A800 or a Crown XLS is a better fit for cheap power.

SpaceMonkey

Too bad that IMG.Stageline is not available in the USA. There is a pretty cool STA-1000D with PASCAL module inside...

Vasr

Major Contributor
Switching/class-D amps can have complex distortion profiles that highly depend on frequency and power level and we see some of that here:

View attachment 72039

At higher frequencies different distortion mechanisms become dominant causing the curves to go up and down.

I have seen this graph for several reviews of Class D here but not sure I understand the significance of this in practice or how to interpret it to judge quality.

1. For example, does it affect tonal balance?
2. Does it make the specs on amps listing distortion at 1khz as standard potentially hide worse behavior elsewhere?

In other words, how does this graph help separate bad ones from good ones within Class D amps? What is acceptable and what isn't?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have seen this graph for several reviews of Class D here but not sure I understand the significance of this in practice or how to interpret it to judge quality.

1. For example, does it affect tonal balance?
2. Does it make the specs on amps listing distortion at 1khz as standard potentially hide worse behavior elsewhere?

In other words, how does this graph help separate bad ones from good ones within Class D amps? What is acceptable and what isn't?
It is not that important of a measurement. It tells you something about the design (switching frequency) and what effort was made to lower that. It is more diagnostic than instructive.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any chance you can test this bridged? I do think that is a common use for these...subwoofer duty mounted remotely in an AV closet for home theater.

This graph is @ 2m RMS....add 9 dB for 1m peak CEA-2010

3000DSP X21.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks. There is still a lot of wiggle room there as far as what kind of burst signal was used. Or if that distortion number is at that power rating.

1800 watts is not possible as a continuous number anyway. That is the maximum that is available out of a US 15 amp socket so would imply this amp is 100% efficient. And that it has 1.0 power factor.

Vasr

Major Contributor
It is not that important of a measurement. It tells you something about the design (switching frequency) and what effort was made to lower that. It is more diagnostic than instructive.

Got it. So, it is more like a hygiene test? In case they don't have it under control with poor engineering?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1800 watts is not possible as a continuous number anyway. That is the maximum that is available out of a US 15 amp socket so would imply this amp is 100% efficient. And that it has 1.0 power factor.
20amp circuit :)

Hmm, on that note, how can they claim 2x3000W for the NX6000? And I checked, it only has 1 power socket.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any chance you can test this bridged? I do think that is a common use for these...subwoofer duty mounted remotely in an AV closet for home theater.

This graph is @ 2m RMS....add 9 dB for 1m peak CEA-2010

View attachment 72053
If I am going thru the trouble of DIY’ing a sub, I’m building at least 2. But yes, considering it’s rated for 3000W into bridged mode (4ohm), this would be interesting.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
20amp circuit :)

Hmm, on that note, how can they claim 2x3000W for the NX6000? And I checked, it only has 1 power socket.
The fuse spec for this amp is only 10 amp. So that is 1200 volt amps. Derating for efficiency you get about 1000 watts which is what I got.

The fuse for the NX6000 is 25 amp. I don't know how you get that in an IEC socket. But even if you did, 25*120 = 3000 volt-amps. Not 6000.

Vasr

Major Contributor
One more question, I am still trying to get a handle on what the measurements mean. Apologies if this is considered naive. I have been listening to audio for a long time but very new to measurements.

I see linearity tests used for pre-amps/dacs but not amps. Is this not relevant for power amps? Conceptually, I understand linearity as the ability of the device to reproduce output levels faithfully for different input levels relatively. Wouldn't this apply to power amps as well? Or is it indicated by some other measurement? Or is it a non-issue for amps?

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Damn, still waiting for Goldilocks to come along in one of these inexpensive packages. That distortion at 3kHz is odd though. It also looks like it's about to explode at 20kHz on the dashboard FFT.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One more question, I am still trying to get a handle on what the measurements mean. Apologies if this is considered naive. I have been listening to audio for a long time but very new to measurements.

I see linearity tests used for pre-amps/dacs but not amps. Is this not relevant for power amps? Conceptually, I understand linearity as the ability of the device to reproduce output levels faithfully for different input levels relatively. Wouldn't this apply to power amps as well? Or is it indicated by some other measurement? Or is it a non-issue for amps?
I do have a linearity test for amps and have run a couple of times. We would have to standardized on a power level. With DACs this is easy because there is one standardized output voltage. Not so with amps.

Top Bottom