• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

Paperdragons

Some people around me (including one PC magazine) recommend Logitech speakers for adding speakers to, say, a gaming PC. For example Logitech Z906.

It would be interesting to see how they perform, as I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to measure a "PC gaming" type of speaker. They are definitely very "budget" by Hi-Fi standards.

And by the way, I applaud the initiative to get budget speakers to measure. That may not be what matters most to the members of this forum, but it would definitely have more impact on the general public.

Maybe we'll get to spot the $9 Apple dongle of the speaker world. That seems really unlikely, but who knows!

I’d love to see how cheapo speakers stack up. It may help newer folks establish a frame of reference.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

my suggestions would be:
Adam Audio T5V
Audio Pro A36
IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor

It would also be very interesting if some speaker with much narrower directivity are tested like good PA Speaker. E.g. the JBL Eon or plenty other cheaper but good PA speaker. They should provide a different stereo signature. In mono it will suck, but at higher listening distances with stereo higher directivity does have some significant advantages. More "clear" but less "enveloping" sound.

Not exactly budget but worth the price ;)
Musikelektronik Geithain RL 901K

Also interesting but not cheap
Devialet Phantom Premier Gold

Best
Thomas
I already posted about it, but the iLoud MTM with ARC correction seems very interesting, and I think the profile is loaded onto the speaker so Amir can measure it before/after. What I find weird is they are sold individually and the microphone comes with both, don’t know why they don’t offer a bundle deal with only 1 mic.

tuga

Major Contributor
Something from Dali?
They brag a lot about (cone) driver research/construction to improve low-level performance and reduce distortion.
Theirs are also designed to be listened 30° off-axis (firing straight with no toe-in). I wonder how a listening assessment in mono compares with the preference prediction algorithm.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://arendalsound.eu/tech-specs-1723-s-speakers/#1723-BOOKSHELF-S-SPECS

Arendal. The company's measurements are tremendous. We need verification.

Graph_Polar_Response_Bookshelf_S-1024x577.png

It looks like they did some splicing at 200 Hz which the Klippel could improve on.

Last edited:

DSPGenelec

Klipsch - I would like to see a RB or RF tested here. Or even their youngest generation called "The Fives".

Last edited:

Darvis

Lorenzo74

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wharfedale Evo 4.2 (not cheap, but a 3 way design with AMT, if its well designed would be sweet)
And also a good "old-school" 2" mid dome for nice wide directivity, would also like to see it reviewed.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL 308p Mkii doesn't quite fit in your budget, but it would round off the 3 series reviews nicely considering you've done 305p Mkii already (one of your first measurments!), so measuring the largest flagship of the series would be interesting, probably more interesting than measuring the smaller 306p Mkii. I feel that it might be hard to marry the 8" woofer with 1" tweeter, so I'd be curious to see if they've done a good job with the 308p Mkii. (I have this speaker, and to give you a head start turn HF Trim to -2dB on the back of the speaker early on in your testing if you don't like the default mode). (You also might want to EQ the tweeter down a dB or 2 just after crossover, might be a hump there.)

Gphoton

Adam T5v and T7v $400 and $500 / pair with built in bi amped TI TAS5754 DSP amps and AMT tweeters.

Emotiva Airmotiv B1 passive speakers with AMT tweeters

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Adam T5v and T7v $400 and $500 / pair with built in bi amped TI TAS5754 DSP amps and AMT tweeters.
Adam sent me a pair of T8Vs for review. Would that do?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom