• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand the logic but ... ¿ How would you down - mix 8 channels at full level to 2 channels avoiding clipping with no "metadata" from those sources ? ¿ How many setups would face that kind of use ?

Heos/network is limited to 2 channels right? I don't use it so I am not sure, but zone 2/3 are two channels only for sure.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You no mess with lo Wang ..,
lo_wang_is_shadow_warrior_by_sirkiljaos_d5lpwsi-fullview.jpg

Gedeon

Forum Donor
Heos/network is limited to 2 channels right? I don't use it so I am not sure, but zone 2/3 are two channels only for sure.
But all those can be up-mixed by Dolby, DTS, even multichannel stereo.... and Bass management, room correction...

All digital sources go through DSP chips (no matter if enabled or disabled the math to apply corrections, up-mixes.. and then to DACs. Main channels by AKM, auxiliary ones by PCM51..

I can't see any logic in using different DACs depending on the source in modern AVRs
Design/Topology would be way more complex with no practical benefits.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Reading the thread I understand that the HDMI mixer add some noise when in action.
A current configuration is a multichannel box (Apple, Roku...) that send various channels through hdmi depending of the app that is in use. Common AVR setting could be 5.1.
Does the 4700h mixer add noise to a hi res source (Dolby Atmos, Tidal..) when the channel number does not match 5.1?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you and Jim777 are missing the point. Or maybe I’m not understanding your posts. My room is 5.2.4 but I listen to tons of 2CH music via analog inputs from Audiolab 6000N. Two channel source, two channels used, no degradation in sound. Are you saying you use an AVR with only two speakers connected and are down-mixing multi-channel sources to stereo? Why?

I'm not talking about someone like you. Someone who is using the AVR with a PC, with the audio configuration set to multi-channel in case they want to watch a movie or something, because they don't realize that the receiver will try to downmix their two channel audio unnecessarily. So that doesn't sound like you. But it could happen to someone, although not very many people.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question about gain settings with amp integration with the X4700H, which I will be setting up this weekend.

I have a Parasound NewClassic 2125v2 2 channel that I use with my l left and right speakers. I'm not sure how I should setup the gain on the amp. Here are the specs
  • S/N Ratio: 114 dB at rated output, IHF A-weighted 106 dB at rated output, unweighted 93 dB at 2.828 V output, IHF A-weighted 84 dB at 2.828 V output, unweighted
  • Input Impedance: 33 K ohms
  • Input Sensitivity: 1 V in for 28.28 V out, THX standard
It has a left and right channel gain knob. So am I correct in thinking they should be maxed out?

tparm

Forum Donor
Does anyone here have a PDF version of the X4700 manual? Not sure why it isn't available on the Denon site any longer. Not downloadable or web view.

-and now its back-

rvsixer

@peng and @Dj7675 - Thanks for your replies and time on the X3500, yes I read and understood the test report before I posted.

The point I was making is currently the best prices I can find on X3500 is $999 (new), and X3600 $999 (factory refurb with 3-year Denon factory warranty). IMO at the same price and warranty it just makes no sense at all to go with the 3500, and even makes no sense to go with X3600 *if* the 3700 tests well and it has all the new goodies for only $200 more (even at full retail, but no way would I pay that I wait for the deals lol).

If someone could get a 3500 for $400-500 it may be worthwhile for some...me I would still go 3600 or 3700. My thinking anyway.

bobopich

More like 95 dB at 1.2 V, but I would also assume it would be similar up to 1.4 V based on Amir's comment and collaborating information I gathered from his other reviews. The 82-84 dB you quoted we're measured at the power output. That's quite good if compared to the Outlaw monoblock that is in the ASR recommended list.
Yes, but pairing the avr with external amp with input sensitivity around 29db, high impedance around
More like 95 dB at 1.2 V, but I would also assume it would be similar up to 1.4 V based on Amir's comment and collaborating information I gathered from his other reviews. The 82-84 dB you quoted we're measured at the power output. That's quite good if compared to the Outlaw monoblock that is in the ASR recommended list.
Yes but pairing the Denon AVR with higher spec external amp with input sensitivity of 1.1-1.4V to full rated power, imput impedance above 20k and measured SINAD above 100 will give you the optimum use. Basically what i did just after the X3600 review :) I changed my Arcam AVR 390 paired with some audiolab 8200Ms and 8200p to the Denon X3600 paired with NAD M27 just using the AVR internal amps for atmos channels. And i am sleeping well enough after re-watching about 20 movies with what is the best setup i am considering to have now. And to add something after the calibration of the gains the internal amps are at about -4 / -3db while the M27 base channels are between +1 to +2.50 so this should also affect the pre-amp voltage at certain volume although the loudest i can listen in my treated cinema room with this setup is about -6db from reference and normally around -10db to -15db

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@peng and @Dj7675 - Thanks for your replies and time on the X3500, yes I read and understood the test report before I posted.

The point I was making is currently the best prices I can find on X3500 is $999 (new), and X3600 $999 (factory refurb with 3-year Denon factory warranty). IMO at the same price and warranty it just makes no sense at all to go with the 3500, and even makes no sense to go with X3600 *if* the 3700 tests well and it has all the new goodies for only $200 more (even at full retail, but no way would I pay that I wait for the deals lol).

If someone could get a 3500 for $400-500 it may be worthwhile for some...me I would still go 3600 or 3700. My thinking anyway.

The 3500 had been available at $599 for a long time and closer to $500 occasionally. I agree if at even $799 it wouldn't make sense not to go with the 3600 even if you only need 7 channels.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Question about gain settings with amp integration with the X4700H, which I will be setting up this weekend.

I have a Parasound NewClassic 2125v2 2 channel that I use with my l left and right speakers. I'm not sure how I should setup the gain on the amp. Here are the specs
  • S/N Ratio: 114 dB at rated output, IHF A-weighted 106 dB at rated output, unweighted 93 dB at 2.828 V output, IHF A-weighted 84 dB at 2.828 V output, unweighted
It has a left and right channel gain knob. So am I correct in thinking they should be maxed out?

Those knobs are for gain staging, not exactly volume control. In your case, yes I would set them both L/R to maximum.

rvsixer

The 3500 had been available at $599 for a long time and closer to $500 occasionally. I agree if at even $799 it wouldn't make sense not to go with the 3600 even if you only need 7 channels.
Well the past is done and gone, but yea the 3600 was available for $699 new for months before COVID hit too (I still kick myself for not grabbing one then). Still no reason to consider 3500 even at that time.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the past is done and gone, but yea the 3600 was available for $699 new for months before COVID hit too (I still kick myself for not grabbing one then). Still no reason to consider 3500 even at that time.

Very true, the 3600 has been an unbeatable value until now. Assuming the 3700 measures equally well it may become the next best 7.1.4 capable AVR at its price point.

That's why I stopped chasing the more expensive avps. There is always something in the newer models that make me feel mine is outdated within 2 to 3 years so it makes no sense to chase the AV8805 path, I mean no to me ommv..

Gyroscopics

I use 2125v2 (bridged) for my center channel. I reduced the gain of my 2125v2 to match the gain of my external amp for L/R channels and stay close to my Denon's internal amps' gain. You know if your 2125v2's gain is too high if Denon sets the level for the associated channel too low compared to the rest. You can verify this by going to the channel levels window after running Audyssey.

Let me know if this answers your question or if I need to elaborate further.

Top Bottom