• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Erici

Forum Donor
Bought the Infinity R162 bookshelf speakers for $159. With some EQ to tame the brightness they're a great deal.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A pair of Genelec 8320 for desktop listening now that I'm home all day everyday (working from home is outstanding, but leaving home more often would sure be nice). The GLM room correction module just arrived today, and the stands should be here in a couple weeks. REW / UMIK measurements without either stands or GLM were taken, and measurements will be taken as each component comes on line to empirically establish the differences made. Results could be posted here if there's any interest (although I do not pretend to be expert with REW).

BillG

Major Contributor
Not purchased because of ASR, but verified to be a wise decision for a bedroom/desktop system, based on cost and performance, after the fact:

Infinity Reference 162
Klipsch PowerGate

Purchased because of ASR:

Chromecast Audio
Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Amirs reviews were the final incentives to by my 4xJBL HDI 3600s & 4500 center.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
D

Deleted member 16502

Genelec 8340. I heard and liked some predecessor model in the early last decade but they were out of my price range. There's so much unjustified Genelec hate on the Internet that it took some ASR reading to convince me they are useable :p

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what ASR made me do... I blame you all! ;-)

I bought:
1- RME adi-2 DAC v2 (I decided not to keep it and returned it)
2- Topping A90 pre/HP amp
3- Topping D90 MQA DAC
4- Hidizs S8 DAC/HP amp dongle
5- Schiit Modius DAC
6- Okto Research dac8 Stereo (waiting to be built and shipped)

I sold:
1- Schiit Yggdrasil v2 DAC
2- Schiit Bifrost v1 DAC (I was about to sell it before ASR anyway - but I sold it quicker to help finance the new purchases)
3- Schiit Fulla 2 DAC/pre/HP amp (my first Schiit ever bought years ago when it was released)
4- Schiit Jotunheim DAC/pre/HP amp

No regrets, I liked my Schiit gear, but ASR triggered a desire to validate high SINAD components and see how it translated to the home audio experience. So far so good, the only one purchase that didn’t work for me was the adi-2 v2 (I hear the v1 sounds better).
not sure if there are enough of us for the amount of 'blame' you are generating. Luckily you are also selling lots of schiit :)

Wish I had the time to test & rotate so much gear. Must be a lot of fun and learning ...

Is there a post somewhere detailing what made you so unhappy with the v2 of the RME DAC?

Last edited:

ENG

Forum Donor
Today came a Yamaha R-N803D replacing a Marantz M-CR611 in our kitchen. Immediately sounding way better - but I have nothing to measure with.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
not sure if there is enough of us for the amount of 'blame' you generate there. Luckily you are also selling lots of schiit :)

Wish I had the time to test & rotate so much gear. Must be a lot of fun and learning ...

Is there a post somewhere detailing what made you so unhappy with the v2 of the RME DAC?
Lol

I usually don’t have that much time, but now with the pandemic and working from home 100% of the time, I’m able to afford much more time subjectively listening to music with different gear. But I’m settling now... :)

Regarding the adi-2 v2, I really liked all the features, the design and all the detail it extracted from recordings. But, through subjective listening, I found it to sound “thin” and “synthetic”. It somehow didn’t present the music with the weight it deserved. It also gave me listening fatigue pretty quickly, I couldn’t listen to my speaker system for more than 30 min or so. I played with the settings and in 2 different speaker systems but couldn’t get it to sound “right” to my ears. Disappointing... :-(

PS: I’m just replying to this comment, I don’t want to hijack this thread. I know that the adi-2 is a favorite and I don’t want to upset anyone.

Last edited:

mcdonalk

I purchased a Topping D90 in February, having learned of its existence and performance here. In June, I replaced it with an Exasound E32 Mk II, the Mk I version which I may have learned of here; I don't recall for sure.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Updated: I just purchased a pair of Elac debut Reference DBR-62 specifically because of Amir's review of them.

ferrellms

Curious to what degree people use ASR reviews and feedback from the ASR community before buying gear.

For me personally I picked up a JDS Atom, a Topping D30 and a MOTU audio interface based on reviews. The newly reviewed Revel speakers look tempting as well, of course I have no need for them whatsoever.
I have stopped purchasing gear. I am real happy with my current setup. I have never heard better (I don't listen to a lot of systems at dealers or shows, I admit, and the room is fairly small and acoustically treated). I am convinced that any meaningful improvement would be wildly expensive and I don't listen enough to justify spending the thousands required.

Last edited:

smallricey

Curious to what degree people use ASR reviews and feedback from the ASR community before buying gear.

For me personally I picked up a JDS Atom, a Topping D30 and a MOTU audio interface based on reviews. The newly reviewed Revel speakers look tempting as well, of course I have no need for them whatsoever.
I was going with D50 + Heresy. Then I figure I want more connectivity so I chose DX7 Pro.

What I should've gone is D5. Oh well.

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
Topping D50, Drop THX AAA 789, Khadas Tone Board, JDS Labs Atom, Schiit Modius

I particularly like the way ASR finds cheaper components that have stellar measurements. That helps me satisfy my occasional cravings for new equipment without spending a lot. Also I started using balanced connections because of ASR.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Bought JDS Lab Atom
Chromecast Audio -2 units-
Planning to buy Soncoz SGD1 DAC now after the ESS hump is fixed

Last edited:

Oomphion

ASR directly influenced my purchases of
Schiit Magni Heresy
Dense Audio Reference (I read the review and went straight to put in an order, I needed a mobile DAC ;))

Bought despite of ASR: Denon AVR-X3500H. I think it sounds great!

Top Bottom