• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some covers of songs we know and love (audiophile essentials) are better than others...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't mean to be posting so much on this thread. Just one more. The Wayfaring Stranger is a song from the early 19th century done by many, many people. I've recorded a couple myself. This is one of the better versions I've run across. Rhiannon Giddens

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There are multiple versions of this monument of bob dylan . here my two préférences note that that of ben sidran with an excellent sound recording

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Don't mean to be posting so much on this thread. Just one more.

Post as much as you want, I'm learning of plenty of cover versions I didn't know existed. Keep em' coming. :)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
John Bonham's son Jason and Heart cover "Stairway to Heaven". Quite something to cover a song with the original artists in the audience and move them to tears.
Yep. Heart are quite good in Zeppelin covers. I like Kashmir:

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't mean to be posting so much on this thread. Just one more. The Wayfaring Stranger is a song from the early 19th century done by many, many people. I've recorded a couple myself. This is one of the better versions I've run across. Rhiannon Giddens

one of those powerful old songs that can make you forget about everything ... distortion, speakers, rooms, all that stuff disappears and you're left swimming in the beauty of music

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a wow cover for Adele - Rolling in the deep

and guess what, there is also cover to that cover

I find it quite hard to chose a 'better' cover from these two, but I like em both more than the original. Which is also an amazing performance by Adele.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
a wow cover for Adele - Rolling in the deep

and guess what, there is also cover to that cover

I find it quite hard to chose a 'better' cover from these two, but I like em both more than the original. Which is also an amazing performance by Adele.
I'm very impressed by the vocal performances but the meaning of the text doesn't transport as the original.

Ivanovich

Forum Donor
Now having seen the vid in the OP, I offer these.

Then there’s Bad Salad! (Whatever happened to them? I guess they went the same way as Dream Theater!)

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm very impressed by the vocal performances but the meaning of the text doesn't transport as the original.
Agree that the second cover-to-cover is pretty much a performance only. A bit more than just-vocal though.
The first one by KZ I would argue it's a lot more than just a performance. She almost "rewrote" the whole thing and somehow managed to make a masterpiece better in many/most aspects.
As for that "transport" feeling, definitely agree, I'd chose the original too.

Anyway, just wanted to keep an interesting thread going. And a bit of extra energy/swagger usually helps :)

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Stunning version of Nina Simone's Four Women - I don't think there is a CD available of this (if there is please let me know).

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
another attempt to keep this going. One of Amir's recent speaker reviews reminded me of one favorite cover.

It's quite a stretch to call Metallica "audiophile essentials" but OTOH, Metallica 1991 is the closest heavy-metal ever came to audiophile status.
And the cover itself is definitely audiophile.
During the first listen of that cover I was very surprised to suddenly figure out that I never listened to Metallica's lyrics :)

simbloke

Forum Donor
Blancmange: The Day Before You Came. (Yes, ABBA, I said it) One reason I love this is the lovely 80's synth arrangement.

Feyire

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
audiophile cover versions, you say?

Seek out the original recordings -- I know, I know... I've posted these links before :)

Last edited:

Icboschert

Forum Donor
Now having seen the vid in the OP, I offer these.

Then there’s Bad Salad! (Whatever happened to them? I guess they went the same way as Dream Theater!)

Huge fan of that Russian cover band, they're so damn good with the Chicago covers

Top Bottom