• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamp streamers.. which offer a good preamp section (preferably analogue) ?

Matt S

A preamp streamer, with room correction, that also measures well in the reviews on here, umm, appears to be either very difficult to find or silly expensive.

Sorry, I don't meant to steal your thread.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
A preamp streamer, with room correction, that also measures well in the reviews on here, umm, appears to be either very difficult to find or silly expensive.

Sorry, I don't meant to steal your thread.
What's silly?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A pi4 (or similar) USB out to a DAC of your choice will work very well. You can use free software distributions, or as a roon endpoint.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Do you need an analog input? [Sorry, I haz reading comprehension fail earlier. Editing reply for gear with analog inputs.]

RPi4 + Topping E30 in DAC mode or Schiit Modius + Schiit Saga or Freya (analog inputs on the Saga or Freya, your choice of single-ended or balanced connections)

RPi4 + RME ADI-2 FS (has an ADC for analog input)

RPi4 + Topping E30 in DAC mode or Schiit Modius + Benchmark HPA4 or LA4

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I was looking again now I would be looking at this because includes head amp

I'm very happy with my Cambridge cxn v2. Can be had for £600 or so new and still current in the lineup. Xlr, RCA and digital amps, the analog can be reduced via pre amp function which I believe is all done in upsampled 32 bit 384 so (arguably) no loss in signal. Roon ready now too

Suspect the analog pre amp requirement is what may snooker the OP, as suggested above

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
If I was looking again now I would be looking at this because includes head amp

I'm very happy with my Cambridge cxn v2. Can be had for £600 or so new and still current in the lineup. Xlr, RCA and digital amps, the analog can be reduced via pre amp function which I believe is all done in upsampled 32 bit 384 so (arguably) no loss in signal. Roon ready now too

Suspect the analog pre amp requirement is what may snooker the OP, as suggested above

That's interesting, I considered the Cambridge, mainly because of the Chromecast built in. I'm always looking to try and reduce the number of boxes, cables.

I wonder if you have compared the built in Chromecast against a CCA+ good DAC ?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Audioengine B-Fi + Anthem STR pre. The former is very small ;)

STR offers straight through untouched analog (audioholics test) or bass management and ARC if desired. Manage one or two subs independently, stereo or mono, including phase adjustment (almost lost my marriage over phase adjustment).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's interesting, I considered the Cambridge, mainly because of the Chromecast built in. I'm always looking to try and reduce the number of boxes, cables.

I wonder if you have compared the built in Chromecast against a CCA+ good DAC ?

I have plugged a CCA into the CXN V2 optical and casted to it and via the internal cast, using Roon- no different detectable. There are some sample rate limits on the CXN internal cast (Roon maxes at 48khz- dont know about other apps) But even better, since last update the CXN is fully Roon Ready- meaning fully integrated into the Roon apps . Functionality is brilliant

Matt S

Audioengine B-Fi + Anthem STR pre. The former is very small ;)

STR offers straight through untouched analog (audioholics test) or bass management and ARC if desired. Manage one or two subs independently, stereo or mono, including phase adjustment (almost lost my marriage over phase adjustment).

Very nice indeed... now how can that be achieved a little cheaper.? Streaming plus room correction... without the use of a PC. StR looks very nice.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I have plugged a CCA into the CXN V2 optical and casted to it and via the internal cast, using Roon- no different detectable. There are some sample rate limits on the CXN internal cast (Roon maxes at 48khz- dont know about other apps) But even better, since last update the CXN is fully Roon Ready- meaning fully integrated into the Roon apps . Functionality is brilliant

Even John Darko likes it:
https://darko.audio/2020/06/a-short-film-about-the-cambridge-audio-cxn-v2/
Would love to see it reviewed here.

I also considered the Element I, but I've seen some negative comments about the app.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I also considered the Element I, but I've seen some negative comments about the app.

Im scared to see it reviewed in case the measurements are crap . I have done very unscientific comparisons, level matched by ear only quick flicking using an XLR switching box between the CXN feed, an SMSL M500 feed , and would you believe it- could tell no difference!

Actually, I say level matched by ear- actually , assuming the specs dont lie, I know vol 34 on the M500 is 4 and a bit V and the CXN is 4v full output, so it cant be that far off matched there.

Darvis

Why "even"? If I remember well some of his reviews it's quite like all the other reviews: everything is great, well worth twice the price, except for one or two inconsequential downsides that give the appearance of a balance view. Maybe the sample of the reviews I saw was unlucky though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why "even"? If I remember well some of his reviews it's quite like all the other reviews: everything is great, well worth twice the price, except for one or two inconsequential downsides that give the appearance of a balance view. Maybe the sample of the reviews I saw was unlucky though.

Below his usual pay grade I suspect was what Glasvegas was suggesting.

Top Bottom