• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Platinum Balanced DAC by Alex Cavalli (AKM4499)

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like its coming out later this year. Anyone hear anything about it?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38966
1593541611333.png

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It would seem manufacturers are determined to get people that bought their amps some time ago to ditch existing DACs and get the new one that matches their amp (looking at you JDS and Monoprice and probably others)

Not sure I either understand or agree with this potential new trend.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Liquid Platinum. Not sure I want that. When are they coming out with Solid Platinum. That will sound much better.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Product release delayed multiple times. Product page originally went up in Sep 2019 and was scheduled to be released not long after Topping D90, and priced lower too. But there was a delay in its release and so I bought the D90 last year, and sort of lost interest in the Liquid Platinum DAC, as it seemed similar in features. I continued to check the LP DAC page occasionally, and each time the release date had slipped further. Last time I checked it was 07/31, now it says 08/21. Seems a little odd, even given the covid-19 related mess. Happy with my D90 (standard) though, and glad I did not wait.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would seem manufacturers are determined to get people that bought their amps some time ago to ditch existing DACs and get the new one that matches their amp (looking at you JDS and Monoprice and probably others)

Not sure I either understand or agree with this potential new trend.

You always need a "stack". Been around forever. ("Forever" as far this hobby is concerned at least...)

lVYV6yL.png

Add a special PSU for a triple decker.

jElbNf0.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You always need a "stack". Been around forever. ("Forever" as far this hobby is concerned at least...)

lVYV6yL.png

jElbNf0.jpg
Oh, I get why have a stack. I don't get why bring the matching component out months /years later.

raif71

Major Contributor
at least they are planning to use AKM 4499 as opposed to AKM 4490 but wait.... not gonna matter sonically, right ? ;)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

lVYV6yL.png

jElbNf0.jpg
Sexy. Gives me sci-fi vibes.

Tks

Major Contributor
This thing was announced eons ago. I think perhaps even the first 4499 device (or it could have been Gustard, my research skills on audio announcements isn't so good).

Don't know what's taking them so long.

Though in my opinion we have enough just plain-ol-DACs. I'd much rather see someone attempt and all-in-one DACAMP with the 4499. If not that, then give us a DAC with DSP like RME, or heck, make it a streamer like Matrix Audio. Otherwise it's just pretty meh these days.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This thing was announced eons ago. I think perhaps even the first 4499 device (or it could have been Gustard, my research skills on audio announcements isn't so good).

Don't know what's taking them so long.

Though in my opinion we have enough just plain-ol-DACs. I'd much rather see someone attempt and all-in-one DACAMP with the 4499. If not that, then give us a DAC with DSP like RME, or heck, make it a streamer like Matrix Audio. Otherwise it's just pretty meh these days.

Yup, affordable DAC/amps that measure well are surely the future of the low end and mid tier like this stuff. Standalone dacs are going to need to bring more to the party than a fancy case, new chip and balanced outs.

Reactions: Tks

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
389661~2.jpg
38966_04~2.jpg

Looks like it has been delayed for quite a long time... It is just available in France at Audiophonics this month. (and quite more expensive, being imported and including VAT).

I just managed to get one unit for testing. Should arrive in the next few days, then I could publish measurements by the end of the next week... Stay tuned.

Last edited:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
View attachment 207665

Looks like it has been delayed for quite a long time... It is just available in France at Audiophonics this month. (and quite more expensive, being imported and including VAT).

I just managed to get one unit for testing. Should arrive in the next few days, then I could publish measurements by the end of the next week... Stay tuned.

It is very nice, but no volume control in the DAC, so I chose not to order it. Even if it were technically better than my Topping D90 (original one, proudly without MQA) it would probably not distinguishable, so...

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Screenshot_20220603-080234.png

Top Bottom