• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

xup

hmm, so what should i buy for drive hd800s perfectly bro?
really confused about it, someone even suggest me buy hugo 2 but i figure it out some member said the power not enough.

yepp, im new and confused to drive my headset o_O, the reason i asked p90 maybe because someone said p90 preamp will launch soon, and its make me not sure buy d90+a90 right now or wait p90 :facepalm:

basiclly maybe i only need the rig for drive hd800s perfectly, and stop buy anything (if not really improve) for the headset in the future :oops:
I don't have the Topping A90/D90 but I'm sure they would work well with the HD800/S. I had both HD800 and HD800S, and can tell you that people's claims of "extreme power requirements" are exaggerated. I was running the Senns with the Hugo 2 that had no issues powering either one, but I'm sure you can find cheaper options like the Topping combo or the RME ADI-2 DAC (I have that now, but no longer have the Senns so can't tell you how they pair but it's very capable device so I'm sure they pair very well).

fendy323

I don't have the Topping A90/D90 but I'm sure they would work well with the HD800/S. I had both HD800 and HD800S, and can tell you that people's claims of "extreme power requirements" are exaggerated. I was running the Senns with the Hugo 2 that had no issues powering either one, but I'm sure you can find cheaper options like the Topping combo or the RME ADI-2 DAC (I have that now, but no longer have the Senns so can't tell you how they pair but it's very capable device so I'm sure they pair very well).
i really like chord sound, now i only have mojo and wonder how hugo 2 in senns :rolleyes:

for you, chord hugo 2, combo topping, rme adi-2 which one the best sound quality?

anyway what headphone do you use now? and why you sell senns ? :D

another question,
if i have logitech z623, can i plug it to a90/d90 ? or i must buy pre90?
and can i plug headset and speaker at the same time? if possible, how can i choose for using headset or speaker?

xup

Lots of questions, I'll reply to everything I can :)
i really like chord sound, now i only have mojo and wonder how hugo 2 in senns :rolleyes:
I really liked the Senns with the Hugo 2. I thought it did a great job with it.
This is the only Chord product I've owned so can't compare to Mojo.
for you, chord hugo 2, combo topping, rme adi-2 which one the best sound quality?
I never heard the Topping combo (although, the A90 is possibly a future purchase). I have the Hugo 2 and now the RME that I got recently. I've only done a bit of comparisons, super crazy busy these days, so no time for critical listening, but so far I either hear very little difference (more power with the RME than the Hugo 2), or none. I would like to do some blind tests, but that requires my partner to play along which I'm not sure will happen lol.
So, for me, the Hugo is going. It costs more, so I will be "making money" by keeping the RME and selling the Hugo.
If I needed a portable device, I may have kept the Hugo but for now that is not the case.

I currently have the Abyss Diana Phi. I bought the Abyss Diana V2 and liked it. When compared to the Focal Clear and the HD800 that I had, it did everything those did, but better (except for that insane soundstage the HD800/S have).
I sold the Senns and the Focals because I don't collect things and don't want to keep things I don't use.
Before that I had a few others, but the HD800/S is maybe my favourite headphone. I bought and sold it 3 times and had the S as well for a little while there.
After getting the Diana V2 I then had an opportunity to get the Diana Phi so I did. I compared the V2 and the Phi and decided to keep the Phi. The V2 is now gone.
I have a Mr. Speakers Ether 1.1 here as well I just got (for my partner) but I haven't had a chance to listen to those yet :rolleyes: (I've been enjoying the Phi too much).
If you ask me if I think it's a good buy, I'd probably say no. I think that the Senns are my "best value" as much as that can be said with regards to things this expensive. Diminishing returns and such play much more above these prices and the differences are usually not the "night and day" reviewers and companies would like you to believe. For me, at this point, it was the right decision.

another question,
and can i plug headset and speaker at the same time? if possible, how can i choose for using headset or speaker?
As I mentioned, I don't have the A90, but from reading both the A90 and the D90 are also pre-amps (one in the digital domain and one in the analog domain), so you should be able to connect to speakers. You might need an XLR->RCA adapter with the D90, but the A90 has RCA connections so you should be able to connect these with that.
That said, some people mentioned some ground loop noise when using RCA connection, so YMMV.
I believe that if you look at the picture of the front of the A90 you could see the leftmost switch is an output selector and you can switch between headphones and pre (pre-amp - your speakers in this case) meaning you can connect both at the same time and choose which one is going to output music (but I believe you cannot have both playing at the same time, again I'm only reading here and don't have experience with the Topping combo).

I hope I didn't miss anything. Let me know if you have more questions.

Gnadna

Lots of questions, I'll reply to everything I can :)

I really liked the Senns with the Hugo 2. I thought it did a great job with it.
This is the only Chord product I've owned so can't compare to Mojo.

I never heard the Topping combo (although, the A90 is possibly a future purchase). I have the Hugo 2 and now the RME that I got recently. I've only done a bit of comparisons, super crazy busy these days, so no time for critical listening, but so far I either hear very little difference (more power with the RME than the Hugo 2), or none. I would like to do some blind tests, but that requires my partner to play along which I'm not sure will happen lol.
So, for me, the Hugo is going. It costs more, so I will be "making money" by keeping the RME and selling the Hugo.
If I needed a portable device, I may have kept the Hugo but for now that is not the case.

I currently have the Abyss Diana Phi. I bought the Abyss Diana V2 and liked it. When compared to the Focal Clear and the HD800 that I had, it did everything those did, but better (except for that insane soundstage the HD800/S have).
I sold the Senns and the Focals because I don't collect things and don't want to keep things I don't use.
Before that I had a few others, but the HD800/S is maybe my favourite headphone. I bought and sold it 3 times and had the S as well for a little while there.
After getting the Diana V2 I then had an opportunity to get the Diana Phi so I did. I compared the V2 and the Phi and decided to keep the Phi. The V2 is now gone.
I have a Mr. Speakers Ether 1.1 here as well I just got (for my partner) but I haven't had a chance to listen to those yet :rolleyes: (I've been enjoying the Phi too much).
If you ask me if I think it's a good buy, I'd probably say no. I think that the Senns are my "best value" as much as that can be said with regards to things this expensive. Diminishing returns and such play much more above these prices and the differences are usually not the "night and day" reviewers and companies would like you to believe. For me, at this point, it was the right decision.

As I mentioned, I don't have the A90, but from reading both the A90 and the D90 are also pre-amps (one in the digital domain and one in the analog domain), so you should be able to connect to speakers. You might need an XLR->RCA adapter with the D90, but the A90 has RCA connections so you should be able to connect these with that.
That said, some people mentioned some ground loop noise when using RCA connection, so YMMV.
I believe that if you look at the picture of the front of the A90 you could see the leftmost switch is an output selector and you can switch between headphones and pre (pre-amp - your speakers in this case) meaning you can connect both at the same time and choose which one is going to output music (but I believe you cannot have both playing at the same time, again I'm only reading here and don't have experience with the Topping combo).

I hope I didn't miss anything. Let me know if you have more questions.
using the A90 pre amp section with my active monitors. I have connected RCA and XLR from my dac and have a tube buffer on the RCA feed. I have also the HD800. Can confirm that it is either pre amp or headphone output.

dmac6419

Major Contributor

another question,
Yes I have Logitech but they're in storage,l have a 2.1 I use with the Alexa show,so if you get the right rca or xlr connect no problem.

fendy323

Yes I have Logitech but they're in storage,l have a 2.1 I use with the Alexa show,so if you get the right rca or xlr connect no problem.
so for connecting my speaker logitech z623 , no need buy another pre amp?
only buy the right cables?

Or if sound quality is of concern... forever basically.
sorry, what do you mean sir?

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

You can run RCA cables from the RCA output on the D90 to your Z623 speakers, and use the volume knob on the speakers for adjusting, and XLR cables from the D90 to the A90.

He means they are so distortion free and transparent, you can't get any clearer sound, no matter if something measures even better than these, just chasing something you can never hear, unless you are a dog, cat or bat.

Ddd

This noise floor discussion with regard to RCA connection made me curious so I tried both shorter and longer RCA cables between D90 and A90 and I can not hear any noise even in high gain at max volume level. I am using USB connection (same cable that came with D90) to D90 from my PC.
RCA cables are also cheapo cables (shorter one came with my iFi micro iDSD black label and longer one is just cheap generic RCA cable).
Looks like I got my D90 A90 RCA-RCA problem solved, went to find out the problem after one day I turn on the rear on off switch of A90 and fuse is burnt..

Change it to another spare fuse supplied together, and on the second day, second fuse burnt again.

So i open the A90 and guessing if there's any contact of the switch cable loosen and causes the surge to blow the fuse, and I'm right, the Earth cable plugging to the on off switch was slightly more outwards and loose.

Tighten every cable , change another new fuse, and try again, and the RCA-RCA noise disappeared

So i suppose for my unit the Ground Noise of RCA came from the bad loose contact connection of the A90 Earth cable?

Anyways, is glad to had the problem solved.

auronthas

Change it to another spare fuse supplied together, and on the second day, second fuse burnt again.
What a discovery ! And glad your problem is solved. But I don't get a spare fuse along with my A90 ?

jarchi

I'm using MEZE EMPYREAN. Is this A90 headphone amp okay as the final amplifier driving these headphones?

Tks

Major Contributor
I'm using MEZE EMPYREAN. Is this A90 headphone amp okay as the final amplifier driving these headphones?

Sound quality-wise, this is pretty much the best currently on the market amplifier in existence ever verified. Power-wise, it's up there, and for the Meze, it's powerful enough to blow the drivers to pieces if you ran the amp at it's maximum output.

So yes, those headphones would be perfect with an amp like this.

dmac6419

Major Contributor

XLR to RCA make sure you get the right one or RCA to RCA no need to buy another pre amp,output to the speakers,input to the DAC.

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can run RCA cables from the RCA output on the D90 to your Z623 speakers, and use the volume knob on the speakers for adjusting, and XLR cables from the D90 to the A90.

He means they are so distortion free and transparent, you can't get any clearer sound, no matter if something measures even better than these, just chasing something you can never hear, unless you are a dog, cat or bat.
For the z623, you can connect RCA to RCA or RCA to 3.5mm into the subwoofer, or RCA to 3.5mm into the speakers. Do whatever is more convenient.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z623

jarchi

I am currently using a very old dac called topping d20. Is there any problem with this dac and a90 matching?

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Top Bottom