• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion for a good and cheap amp to drive planars(m1060) + v40 amp question

W1ll1eTheP1mp

Hi! i bought myself i Monoprice M1060 with audeze vegan pads without owing an amp. i havent got he headphone yet.The price on the headphone was too good to pass on(approx 92 euro).
I own a LG V40, but some people say that the v40 will not be able to drive it at all. But due to digizoid calculator the v40 should be able to drive them up to 115 db at 1.99V (v40 max 2v). I usually listen to music at 70-75 db. So there must something that i dont understand here.

So i prob need an amp with good power to drive them.

My budget: Low as possible, but good quality. hehe. i like to buy used!

My criteria`s are:

* Portable or as small desktop as possible.I live in a small apartment with a kid, so i dont have space for a big desktop amp. i also want to be able to hide it away after using it.
* I dont care about looks at all. Most important is the function and that the amp is good enough/good measurements.
* I dont think price equals quality all the time. especially when i see Amirm measurements! So it can be cheap!
* Must be able to use it with the v40`s dac.

Some people ask me what soundsignatures i like when looking for an amp, but isnt the whole point for an amp just to amplify the signal and DONT add any soundsignatures?

Thanks for reading!

Theriverlethe

You’ll probably be fine with the LG if you listen at low volume levels and don’t reduce gain for EQ or DSP of some kind. The M1060’s don’t look particularly difficult to drive.

OP
W

W1ll1eTheP1mp

You’ll probably be fine with the LG if you listen at low volume levels and don’t reduce gain for EQ or DSP of some kind. The M1060’s don’t look particularly difficult to drive.

Thanks! That was what i was hoping for. From my understanding of how amplifiers with headphones work, the m1060 is 50 ohm 96db/v, and it needs 1v to reach 96 db? I usually listen in 70-75 db. So why do some people say that it will sound so much better with 5-6 watts of power? I just cant understand it. Im surely missing something?

Theriverlethe

Thanks! That was what i was hoping for. From my understanding of how amplifiers with headphones work, the m1060 is 50 ohm 96db/v, and it needs 1v to reach 96 db? I usually listen in 70-75 db. So why do some people say that it will sound so much better with 5-6 watts of power? I just cant understand it. Im surely missing something?

“Some people” aren’t very good at math or reason in general. I don’t know the output impedance on the LG V40, but it shouldn’t be a problem at all if you’re actually listening at only 75dB SPL.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
“Some people” aren’t very good at math or reason in general. I don’t know the output impedance on the LG V40, but it shouldn’t be a problem at all if you’re actually listening at only 75dB SPL.

What has output impedance on the amp got to do with the power requirement of the (planar) headphones?

I do agree that @W1ll1eTheP1mp should try his new cans with just the v40, but if that doesn't do the job, it isn't because of output impedance.

If he needs an external amp, definitely use the v40 as the source and DAC- small desktop amp like the Atom or other $100 wonders as mentioned above.

Theriverlethe

What has output impedance on the amp got to do with the power requirement of the (planar) headphones?

I do agree that @W1ll1eTheP1mp should try his new cans with just the v40, but if that doesn't do the job, it isn't because of output impedance.

If he needs an external amp, definitely use the v40 as the source and DAC- small desktop amp like the Atom or other $100 wonders as mentioned above.

Won’t a higher output impedance reduce power? It’s probably not high enough to be a problem.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Though it gets little love around here, the Liquid Spark provides a great complement to my HE400i.

Don't be put off by the 'poor' 99 SINAD. It's been driven down by a weird 30Hz
Power supply artifact that appears to have no effect as far as I can tell.

Mine is front ended by an LG V20 at 2v setting. Plenty of headroom on low gain setting.

If the LS is too big, or you want something portable, the NX3 to me sounds almost as good as the LS. And with planars, the NX3 less than optimal output impedance is not a problem. You can also externally power the NX3, and use it just fine as a desktop.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Won’t a higher output impedance reduce power? It’s probably not high enough to be a problem.

Wouldnt take everything as gospel but
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

The LG quad DAC phones have been measured (not sure about the v40) as 1 ohm OI- ie not a problem for anything, My point was, if the phone cant drive the 1060 properly, its not OI related, more just lack of power. OP will get sound out, but my understanding is that planars like a bit of juice to open up, even the lower impedance ones. 1060 are 50 ohm / 99db per (mw or volts i dont know), so not a huge challenge so lets not rule just the phone out, but I reckon to go to loud listening it might lack the legs.

OP
W

W1ll1eTheP1mp

Wouldnt take everything as gospel but
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

The LG quad DAC phones have been measured (not sure about the v40) as 1 ohm OI- ie not a problem for anything, My point was, if the phone cant drive the 1060 properly, its not OI related, more just lack of power. OP will get sound out, but my understanding is that planars like a bit of juice to open up, even the lower impedance ones. 1060 are 50 ohm / 99db per (mw or volts i dont know), so not a huge challenge so lets not rule just the phone out, but I reckon to go to loud listening it might lack the legs.

Ive got the M1060 now and my pain treshold is between 55-65 on the LG V40(goes up to 75) in high ohm mode. So it gets definately loud enough for me. I am a bit confused since people at Headfi say that even if my phone drives the volume high enough, it will lack bass, details, soundstage, soundquality etc due to that my phone cant feed the planar enough current as they seem to love.. Is this right? i thought that if the volume is high enough, its good and anything shouldnt be lacking. High impedance mode also drag the battery power quite hard. 2 hours at 55-60 in volume drained approx 30%.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ive got the M1060 now and my pain treshold is between 55-65 on the LG V40(goes up to 75) in high ohm mode. So it gets definately loud enough for me. I am a bit confused since people at Headfi say that even if my phone drives the volume high enough, it will lack bass, details, soundstage, soundquality etc due to that my phone cant feed the planar enough current as they seem to love.. Is this right? i thought that if the volume is high enough, its good and anything shouldnt be lacking. High impedance mode also drag the battery power quite hard. 2 hours at 55-60 in volume drained approx 30%.

So you're happy with the volume. Are you happy with the sound? If so, stop there.

OP
W

W1ll1eTheP1mp

With volume? Yes! I think the soundquality is good, but severel people with same set up(LG quad dac phones and m1060 modded) says that feeding the M1060 with more current will give it way more bass,soundstage etc. Is it placebo or is it real? It will be interessting if it actually increased quality .

I guess i dont know until i have tried? If i am going to try, i will definately look in the used market. What amp will you recommend that is portable, have enough power for a lot of stuff and very affordable? I dont care about brand hype's etc as long the amp does it job decently!

OP
W

W1ll1eTheP1mp

Ie800 is kinda outdated, you can probably find better for less money.
Just to be honest, im not gonna defend it just because ive spend money on it (as many do)and since i havent tried it(hard for me due to where i live) and havent received it yet.

BUT i bought it used at excellent condition/mint for 250 usd with the receipt from the authorized dealer here in Norway. Everything is included. even the extra tips arent used. The cheapest i found at headfi was 200usd(haggled it down to 200 but it was to worned) excl shipping,import tax etc and that set was incomplete, had atleast 2 prev owners and was very worned. Read that many prefer the IE800 instead of IE800`s but thats totally subjective. Main problem is the ton`s of fakes everywhere.

Ive been looking for at a lot of different IEM since February this year and the IE800 was the best deal i could get in my country where almost everything for sale in used market are beats,jbl,etc.

Anyway, i think that is a really good deal since the IE80s cost approx 320 usd new here. One IEM ie800 gets compared with alot in reviews are Shure SE846 and that retail for 1000usd new here, and non where listed under 600usd in used market here.

BTW, do you know of a good and portable amp? thinking about the Xduoo xd05pro or topping nx4. i dont think amirm has testet the xduoo? it get praised a lot since it got so much power for portable

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to be honest, im not gonna defend it just because ive spend money on it (as many do)and since i havent tried it(hard for me due to where i live) and havent received it yet.

BUT i bought it used at excellent condition/mint for 250 usd with the receipt from the authorized dealer here in Norway. Everything is included. even the extra tips arent used. The cheapest i found at headfi was 200usd(haggled it down to 200 but it was to worned) excl shipping,import tax etc and that set was incomplete, had atleast 2 prev owners and was very worned. Read that many prefer the IE800 instead of IE800`s but thats totally subjective. Main problem is the ton`s of fakes everywhere.

Ive been looking for at a lot of different IEM since February this year and the IE800 was the best deal i could get in my country where almost everything for sale in used market are beats,jbl,etc.

Anyway, i think that is a really good deal since the IE80s cost approx 320 usd new here. One IEM ie800 gets compared with alot in reviews are Shure SE846 and that retail for 1000usd new here, and non where listed under 600usd in used market here.

BTW, do you know of a good and portable amp? thinking about the Xduoo xd05pro or topping nx4. i dont think amirm has testet the xduoo? it get praised a lot since it got so much power for portable

I think @WolfX-700 measured the xduoo 05 but I might be wrong. Can't find the link!

Top Bottom