• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Theriverlethe

They have been much better at QC and frankly I am sure that Audeze had just as many problems with QC.

I would hope so, but it's easy to find reviews on Amazon that suggest otherwise. There's even one user who found a hair on his diaphragm, so I wouldn't say they're quite there for a product in this price range. I think Audeze's had less trouble since they started making all their diaphragms in-house.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would hope so, but it's easy to find reviews on Amazon that suggest otherwise. There's even one user who found a hair on his diaphragm, so I wouldn't say they're quite there for a product in this price range. I think Audeze's had less trouble since they started making all their diaphragms in-house.
Amazon just repackaging returned products and selling them to others. That's the problem with them.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound quality of wireless is identical to wired (for all practical intent and assuming the wireless is well implemented which the Sony is).
It's not. It's not bitperfect decoding of the original file. It's not even the same codec and format transferred from the device to the earphones. And the DAC chip in the headphones is not the same. And true wireless have space, power, and other constraints to deal with that compromise them compared to wired.

But why bother commenting on my post? There is certainly a ton of measurement data on this site that shows how AVRs trying to package all those things together into one large package are measurably worse than separate components costing much less. Why would you start out from the position of thinking they are identical?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are mistaking sound signature imparted by design parameters with the technical possibility that can be realized.
1593207814810.png

A Surfer

Major Contributor
It's not. It's not bitperfect decoding of the original file. It's not even the same codec and format transferred from the device to the earphones. And the DAC chip in the headphones is not the same. And true wireless have space, power, and other constraints to deal with that compromise them compared to wired.

But why bother commenting on my post? There is certainly a ton of measurement data on this site that shows how AVRs trying to package all those things together into one large package are measurably worse than separate components costing much less. Why would you start out from the position of thinking they are identical?
I comment because this is a forum community that values scientific testing which not only includes objective measures, but also measurement techniques that attempt to control for psychological bias; in effect, moving the subjective closer to the objective. Wireless is audibly transparent when well done. I have very nice dollar speakers with a nice amp supported by two REL subs and currently I am streaming Bluetooth from my phone to a SMSL M200 as I type. There isn't a hope in hell that I could ever discern this well done connection from a wired connection in blind listening tests. Maybe people who believe in golden ears or training for innumerable hours to spot incredibly small artifacts that show up in playback in very particular aspects of a recording can reliably spot differences. Nobody who cares about and enjoys music actually listens that way. So returning to my original point, for all intents and purposes where listening to music, properly implemented wireless is indistinguishable from say USB during playback.

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
One user experience does not constitute compelling evidence. I have owned both Audeze and HiFi Man offerings. In my experience and after having read literally thousands of impressions from others who own both, I think it is too close to call.

Theriverlethe

One user experience does not constitute compelling evidence. I have owned both Audeze and HiFi Man offerings. In my experience and after having read literally thousands of impressions from others who own both, I think it is too close to call.

I bought an HE560 years ago. One of the drivers rattled audibly and had a noticeable lack of sub-bass. It could just be bad luck, I suppose.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I comment because this is a forum community that values scientific testing which not only includes objective measures, but also measurement techniques that attempt to control for psychological bias; in effect, moving the subjective closer to the objective.
You felt it important to protect the other community members from being misled by my single subjective statement about my opinion on my personal set of Sony true wireless headphones?

I would have rather you had given me your suggestions about how I could tune my Sonys to make them sound better rather than attempting to dismiss my subjective statement, Since it sounds like you have some experience with their software. We are all on the same team and should all be best friends hanging out listening to music together talking gear and drinking beer.

I certainly agree that Bluetooth can be excellent when well done. My other subjective statement about my audio Technica Bluetooth headphones supports that position.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I bought an HE560 years ago. One of the drivers rattled audibly and had a noticeable lack of sub-bass. It could just be bad luck, I suppose.
Yes, I owned one of the very first HE560s with the SMC connector purchased from Razor Dog Audio. I drove my HE560 from a custom speaker tap cable and used an integrated amp that is stable delivering 300watts into 4ohms and there wasn't a hint of anything out of whack. Absolutely loved the HE560. I have since owned the HE400i and still own the Edition X V2 and I have NEVER had a single issue at all, nada problem.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
You felt it important to protect the other community members from being misled by my single subjective statement about my opinion on my personal set of Sony true wireless headphones?

I would have rather you had given me your suggestions about how I could tune my Sonys to make them sound better rather than attempting to dismiss my subjective statement, Since it sounds like you have some experience with their software. We are all on the same team and should all be best friends hanging out listening to music together talking gear and drinking beer.

I certainly agree that Bluetooth can be excellent when well done. My other subjective statement about my audio Technica Bluetooth headphones supports that position.
Fair enough mate, and I do owe you an apology. My response was too strong for certain and that was inappropriate. I way prefer a great dialogue based around respect and communication and based on your reply to me I get the sense that you also value these things. I will have to take a screen shot with my phone as I use Onkyo HF Player on a LG G7. I essentially scoop out the bass in a moderately deep scoop probably centred around 80Hz running to about 125 Hz removing about 4dB of energy overall. What this does is essentially liberates the excellent tonal ability of the driver/enclosure design in the other frequencies while still retaining genuine bass punch, but natural enough to be engaging. I have played the drums for about 35 years off and on so I have to believe that I have at least some sense of what works in those frequency regions. I have also been listening to decent audio since the early 1980s so I have I hope a nuanced perception of audio reproduction.

I also listen to a very wide variety of music from Judas Priest and Tool to Yo Yo Ma. I value sound reproduction fundamentals and engagement ability in my gear. I say this not boastfully, but so that you get a sense of how connected to this hobby and passion I am. It isn't about me at all, it is about great music reproduction.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
Right now I am in a process of downgrade where I found the HD 6XX to be everything I was trying to achieve. I had to by both the HD 800 and the LCD-2 to realize that not always more expensive means better. Those headphones are great and maybe work for many other people, but finding that sound that pleases you is something that feels incredible and not many actually achieve in their lifetime.

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Here's some of the headphones I own

Left to right:
  1. Headphile modified Sony CD3000 (balanced)
  2. Massdrop 58X Jubilee (balanced)
  3. Audeze LCD-2 (balanced)
  4. JVC HA DX-1000
  5. Sennheiser HD800 (balanced)
  6. HiFiman HE400i (balanced)
  7. HD650 (balanced)
  8. Fostex (can't remember)
Not Pictured
Grado PS1000
HiFiman HE5 (balanced)
Sennheiser HD600 (balanced)
Beyer DT880 600 Ohm
Beyer DT900 600 Ohm
STAX SR404
and a bunch of others

Headphones.jpg

Theriverlethe

This is what they call "as new", "refurbished", or "very good".

I got the impression he was talking about returned items sold as new. Anyway, Amazon's "Warehouse Deals" are nowhere close to half price. Even for $500, I'd expect individually inspected drivers.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's some of the headphones I own

Left to right:
  1. Headphile modified Sony CD3000 (balanced)
  2. Massdrop 58X Jubilee (balanced)
  3. Audeze LCD-2 (balanced)
  4. JVC HA DX-1000
  5. Sennheiser HD800 (balanced)
  6. HiFiman HE400i (balanced)
  7. HD650 (balanced)
  8. Fostex (can't remember)
Not Pictured
Grado PS1000
HiFiman HE5 (balanced)
Sennheiser HD600 (balanced)
Beyer DT880 600 Ohm
Beyer DT900 600 Ohm
STAX SR404
and a bunch of others

View attachment 70880
Wow what a great pic! Fostex TRX00 Mahogany maybe?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On my 2-year journey here's my collection on my sig below
Can you please comment on the Ebony? What do you like to use it for? Is it comfortable? I have been looking for a pair and they are VERY hard to find.

Theriverlethe

Right now I am in a process of downgrade where I found the HD 6XX to be everything I was trying to achieve. I had to by both the HD 800 and the LCD-2 to realize that not always more expensive means better. Those headphones are great and maybe work for many other people, but finding that sound that pleases you is something that feels incredible and not many actually achieve in their lifetime.

HD6XX is great and I've returned to HD650 from other headphones a number of times. That said, I'd expect HD800 and LCD-2 to be upgrades in "spaciousness" if for no other reason than the physical size of the earcup and distance from pinna. Did you try EQ'ing them?

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Top Bottom