• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget DAC Review: behringer UMC204HD

holsen

I need a fairly basic ADC with usb output and XLR microphone input for a Sennheiser MKE600 used as a microphone for video conferencing and Skype calls. The primary function of the mic is as a video camera microphone, but I decided it might just as well do dual duty in these busy video conferencing times, and would almost certainly beat the microphone in any webcam (I quickly learned that audio is the really important part for Skype/Meet etc). I read some hesitation about the ADC in these Behringer interfaces (I would get the U-Phoria UM2), but would it matter for my purpose? Alternatively, would a Presonus Audiobox iOne be better, or perhaps the Komplete Audio 1 that was just mentioned (I like the styling). So to be clear, this is not for recording music or a similar high quality application.
I can tell you I use now a Sennheiser e935 with Fethead (requiring phantom power) and the MKE600 with my UMC202HD and both are pristine / clean as a whistle on the multiple zoom calls I do everyday. If you want to perserve battery on the MKE600, phantom power has you covered but it also works with the 600's internal battery.

Willem

Major Contributor
Thank you, this is reassuring. I do not want to spend too much on what is mostly not a very demanding use case other than the need for a good mic. Incoming audio will be reproduced by an Odac, a Quad 405-2 amp and some Harbeth P3ESR speakers so that is more than adequate for video conferencing (the primary purpose here is playing music). In that respect I have one more question because somewhere in this long thread someone suggested that the Behringer does not work well with another unit for DA conversion, but I am not sure if I understood that properly. With my current microphone I use an Andrea ADC into the computer's usb input and that works flawlessly.

holsen

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking but I use 2 dacs with my PC simultaneously: I connect both the UMC202HD and D50s to the PC via USB Hub. I use the UMC202HD as the default audio device and set the D50s for exclusive use with my media player (JRiver). There are other set up possibilities. But I control my headphones (music) and general PC audio (You Tube, Zoom, Skype) separately.

Attachments

• Screenshot at June 11th 2020 - 8.09.41 am.png
    Screenshot at June 11th 2020 - 8.09.41 am.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 532
  • UMC202-1.png
    UMC202-1.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 323

Willem

Major Contributor
Thanks for this. What I plan to do is to use the MKE600 as a mic for my Meet etc sessions, connected into my PC via the Behringer UM2. The Audio from those same Meet sessions would play from my PC into my ODAC and then to my stereo system. In other words: use different interfaces for audio in and audio out.

holsen

Thanks for this. What I plan to do is to use the MKE600 as a mic for my Meet etc sessions, connected into my PC via the Behringer UM2. The Audio from those same Meet sessions would play from my PC into my ODAC and then to my stereo system. In other words: use different interfaces for audio in and audio out.
That'll be no problem. Just set your default audio devices for input and output on the PC Default Input = Behringer Default Output = ODDAC

Willem

Major Contributor
Great. That is just how I use my current gear. I had interpreted the earlier post in te sense that this would be difficult with the Behringer. Problem solved, sorry for the confusion and thanks for reassuring me.
By the way, did you ever try to use the soundcard of the PC as an ADC? I used it as a DAC and did not like the sound quality. Hence the outboard DAC.

NeuralM

Don't use the U-Phoria for playback.
Albeit the highs were more pleasing it has an awful muddy and compressed sound compared to even a cheap notebook onboard soundchip.
I just compared the umc204hd with my laptop's Realtek AC293 on Tannoy Reveals 601 for an hour and must say that you're right - nice highs of Behringer create the illusion of a cleaner sound, but everything else is muddy. Both soundcards sound mediocre just like any cheap dac, but I guess will use Behringer only for recording.

Last edited:

mga2009

I just compared the umc204hd with my laptop's Realtek AC293 on Tannoy Reveals 601 for an hour and must say that you're right - nice highs of Behringer create the illusion of a cleaner sound, but everything else is muddy. Both soundcards sound mediocre just like any cheap dac, but I guess will use Behringer only for recording.

Gee, I thought this DAC was a good cheap DAC. I bought one considering the OP review. and apart from some software issues, II think it sound good, much better than any integrated laptop soundcard... so reading all the people complaining about it makes me doubt of my hearing!

So, what's the final consensus? Is it good or not?

NeuralM

Realtek is usually not really bad, so both UMC and onboard are ok for their price. You just don't need a cheap external dac for playback only, but there's no alternative to this behringer if you record stuff and need a lot of outputs.

sharpty

Gee, I thought this DAC was a good cheap DAC. I bought one considering the OP review. and apart from some software issues, II think it sound good, much better than any integrated laptop soundcard... so reading all the people complaining about it makes me doubt of my hearing!

Having used the 404HD for over a year now, and comparing it to multiple laptops, motherboards, dongles, DACs and other USB interfaces, I have never noticed any degradation in sound quality. In my experience, the line out is noticeably better than any integrated audio from a laptop. I use it as a source for my JBL 305's and my headphone amp (using line out).

Having said that, i recently picked up the Motu M4 and i'm very happy with it. Much higher voltage line output compared to the Behringer, cleaner output based on measurements (although inaudibly so), headphone output is just as clean as the line out from the Sabre DAC, and DC coupled line inputs with no preamp to add noise. Not to mention the LCD meters. I honestly can't tell a difference in sound quality from my JBL's, coming from the 404HD, but it's nice to not have to think about whether it could be better.

NeuralM

The measurements do not support such subjective criticism. Did you do a carefully level matched double blind listening test?
No I didn't because I need to unplug Realtek, then plug in Behringer, and then reconfigure outputs and levels. If I add a double blind test I just forget how sound A sounds when Sound B is ready.

But here is the RMAA test, left is laptop's Realtek AC293, right is Behringer's RCAs both recorded by Behringer on medium input levels. This is my first test and I guess something is wrong but looks like UMC is a little better.

Update: measures are almost useless here because inputs purposely colorize the sound (https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=pl&tl=en&u=https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic3655998.html&sandbox=1).

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Documents.zip
    219.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you.
Much appreciated.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

A800

If you use the Behringer as a DAC (sending signal via USB), it actually gives quite good performance, albeit with a relatively low output.
Not in NeuralM's and my own personal experience which I also outlined above^.
Except for the somewhat "pleasing" highs the sound is abysmal even in comparison to the cheapest laptop onboard soundchips you can find.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Not in NeuralM's and my own personal experience which I also outlined above^.
Except for the somewhat "pleasing" highs the sound is abysmal even in comparison to the cheapest laptop onboard soundchips you can find.

Unfortunately, this isn't backed up by double-blind level-matched comparison. Claims that something with flat frequency response and excellent linearity has "abysmal" sound are extraordinary and need evidence to be taken seriously. Again, I'm speaking of the DAC portion, not the ADC, which does not measure particularly well.

A800

Unfortunately, this isn't backed up by double-blind level-matched comparison. Claims that something with flat frequency response and excellent linearity has "abysmal" sound are extraordinary and need evidence to be taken seriously. Again, I'm speaking of the DAC portion, not the ADC, which does not measure particularly well.

I am also speaking of the DAC portion.
Buy the thing, listen to it.
This will give you the same experience.
I value personal experience higher than any measurement.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I am also speaking of the DAC portion.
Buy the thing, listen to it.
This will give you the same experience.
I value personal experience higher than any measurement.
So no, then, you haven’t done even the most basic controls for listening tests. That’s a pity.

Top Bottom