• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Build of gr-research X-LS Encore

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The kit arrived today!

Will unpack completely and share some pics in the morning. The components seem to be high quality and am impressed with the completeness of the kit compared to some others. The kit even included solder. So you really just need wood and glue. This is the base kit, so no damping material either. I have plenty around so will see if it is needed/helps.

Have another couple of projects in progress, so will probably be weekend before I start to cut panels.

Stay tuned!

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sending one of these to @amirm so he can properly test them compared to the garage style measurements?

Yes, am building these for Amir to test. :cool:

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Doesn’t he do knock down kits as well or is that a 3rd party?

maty

Major Contributor
X-LS Encore Kit
http://gr-research.com/x-lsencorekit.aspx

X-LS%20Encore%20kit%20pic.jpg

xlsencoremoho2.jpg

GR Researh forum: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=16.0

***X-LS Extravaganza*** by Peter Rawlings
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150120.0

Inside with No-Rez
-> https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150120.msg1798354#msg1798354 by kenneth815

X-LS-Encore-No-Rez.jpg

Videos of DIY X-LS Encore loudspeakers by Peter Rawlings
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0JRqE7rQT0g3SutYuBWBsg

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150120.msg1805810#msg1805810

[ I've had many queries about NoRez installation. Surprising to me, several have suggested, and some have installed, before cabinet assembly. Interestingly, when I showed this illustration to my wife to gauge if it actually accomplished what I was intending, she suggested just that...installing before assembly. I'll leave that to builder to decide, I guess... ]

Resized

X-LS-Encore-No-Rez-by-Peter-Rawlings.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EDIT: While was not included with the kit, this build included internal damping as per recommendation by the designer...

Well, after Maty's post, my pic seems rather sad, but will add some color from my own experience that may help others considering a purchase. As you can see, the kit includes some information. Note I kept the smaller parts in their bags just to keep them from being misplaced :). A few notes now that I have unpacked. The tweeters are hefty and, if that implies quality, am looking forward to working with them. On the other hand, the woofers tend the other way, and are much lighter than many others I have (but will reserve judgement as they are also much less expensive than many others).

As for the instructions, they are pretty light and so, despite the nice parts coverage, not near as complete. A few obvious questions might be how to layout the crossover (only schematic supplied), where/how to mount it, and why heat shrink tubing is supplied? None of this is addressed. Fortunately, the crossover topology is simple and so I will do a layout later. As for wood, it appears I will have more than enough using my usual 2x4 foot sheets of 3/4 inch MDF (1 sheet is more than enough for one cabinet). More to come...

225C1333-7850-48C7-96F1-7B68B3FD6B4D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn’t he do knock down kits as well or is that a 3rd party?

Not that I found, but one forum mentions one of the Denovo cabinets, but they are smaller than the posted design. IF anyone knows of some, am always happy to consider. Notably, if a precut baffle is available. Routing recessed holes is time-consuming and creates a lot of nasty MDF dust. :eek:

maty

Major Contributor
In this fixed thread he explains como to build a crossover. There are a video, I think with the mod of Klipsch RP-600M if I am not wrong.

Crossover assembly 101
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83325.0

GR-Research cannel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJHwsTJyrH4YznoJxZmJHQ/videos
-> Tech Talk 24: How to Improve the Klipsch RP-600M! Part 3

Ideally, a box with No Rez or equivalent and the other with nothing and the differences should be measured. The same with the speaker connectors. The ones you have are very basic.

From my experience with the material that I have used in some loudspeakers (Tecsound SY70), mine and others that I have conditioned years ago, the difference is very noticeable. The last, my modified KEF Q100 (second audio system) now weigh more than KEF LS50. The difference was very appreciable, substantial, as the wood walls of the Q100 are too thin.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m surprised that for a guy who measures the speakers sent to him to upgrade, that there aren’t even specs for his own speakers.

I take that back, I was on mobile and his website has basically nothing on that view, but going to Desktop mode showed a bunch of text and specs and some measurements.

Last edited:

McFly

Not that I found, but one forum mentions one of the Denovo cabinets, but they are smaller than the posted design. IF anyone knows of some, am always happy to consider. Notably, if a precut baffle is available. Routing recessed holes is time-consuming and creates a lot of nasty MDF dust. :eek:
This guy does the kits. Seems pretty on to it. Not sure on costs/if its worth it but its an option

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ideally, a box with No Rez or equivalent and the other with nothing and the differences should be measured. The same with the speaker connectors. The ones you have are very basic.
We discussed this but the price goes through the roof once you add all of his bits. And there could be differences in speaker pairs unrelated to the mods making the comparison invalid. The value here is in budget pricing so we are building the basic level and see how it performs. Maybe it is great as it is.

maty

Major Contributor
Neutrik speakONs could be used as connectors. Low mass, no ferromagnetic and cheaper.

Inside, either No Rez or a DIY sandwich is added as I have added in some speakers.

Big loudspeaker. Old picture, Jun 18, 2011

Cajotas-panel-fibra-tecsoundx2-quilosa.jpg

Tecsound SY70 + acrylic sealant + Tecsound SY70 + acrylic sealant + compacted fiberglass

PS: T S70 is self-adhesive but I put acrylic in between to further break the transmission path of the waves.

Reactions: wje
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This guy does the kits. Seems pretty on to it. Not sure on costs/if its worth it but its an option

Yes, he does like to talk but clearly as a maker and not a seller!

Almost left a comment, but saw someone else had. Apparently, he does not want to do an e-commerce site and respect his position. In any case, I would not buy as I prefer front baffles without seams. Will put on my dust mask and endure some router work. :)

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Neutrik speakONs could be used as connectors. Low mass, no ferromagnetic and cheaper.

Inside, either No Rez or a DIY sandwich is added as I have added in some speakers.

Big loudspeaker. Old picture, Jun 18, 2011

View attachment 70689

Tecsound SY70 + acrylic sealant + Tecsound SY70 + acrylic sealant + compacted fiberglass

PS: T S70 is self-adhesive but I put acrylic in between to further break the transmission path of the waves.
I'm not a big fan of fiber glass or polyfill with ported speakers. It can break down and be spat out of the port.

maty

Major Contributor
I'm not a big fan of fiber glass or polyfill with ported speakers. It can break down and be spat out of the port.
  • Year: 2011
  • Compacted fiberglass
Better to work with gloves if you handle fiberglass. In the following, rock wool. I have always had the feeling that compacted fiberglass offered more clarity.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  • Year: 2011
  • Compacted fiberglass
Better to work with gloves if you handle fiberglass. In the following, rock wool. I have always had the feeling that compacted fiberglass offered more clarity.

Not planning to use either here. If you need to continue to discuss, please start another thread! Thanks :)

maty

Major Contributor
Last edited:

A800

Me neither.
I use 2/10 inch thick polyester fleece on the wall(s) against the driver with good results.

Top Bottom