• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you NOT purchased as a result of ASR?

Archsam

ASR dissuaded me from buying a pair of used Focal Electra 1008 Be speakers on Ebay, but not for the reason you might think.

Not long ago I purchased the Matrix Element X and it made a marked improvement over my old Benchmark DAC1. Whilst I am very happy with the current sound, I started to think about upgrading my Harbeth P3esr not because there was anything wrong with them, but I got into the thinking that there might be 'more' I can extract from the DAC / amp, and my speakers might now be my weakest link in the system. There were a few pairs of Focal 1008 Be on sale on Ebay at the time, and they started to look very tempting.

I debated over the Harbeth vs Focal decision, both in my mind as well as having a few related discussions on ASR forums. My time spend reading here have taught me a few (little) things about what measurable attribute of a speaker will likely contribute to a good sound (flat frequency response, low distortion, etc), I soon started digging up measurements of my P3esr to have a better look at what they do. I found the old Stereophile measurements from 2010 and, what do you know, it looks like the Harbeth actually measured really flat around 200 - 4000Hz , but the treble started to drop off above 10kHz, which might contributed to my feeling that there might be something 'missing' in my music.

810Harfig3.jpg

I started reading up on room correction and DSP to see if there is something I can do about the dip in treble. I read up on dirac room correction and miniDSP but realized they don't work with DSD files, which I spend a lot of time listening to. Luckily I then remembered that my Yamaha amp has tone control - looking up the manual I saw the graph that illustrates the treble boost curve, and I thought it might be worth playing with the treble dial to see what happens.

Yamaha tone control.jpg

Within a few minutes I settled on turning up the dial by around 30% of full rotation, which translate to less than 3 dB boost at 20kHz, with a gentle enough slope from 2kHz upward that I thought will not effect the mid range frequencies too much. This give me just enough of an extra 'sparkle' that, while I won't say it transformed the sound, is definitely giving the music a little bit more detail which I liked.

I am now happy enough to not go for the Focal.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn’t buy used Modi 2 -> bought new Modi 3 instead

Didn’t buy used Chord Qutest or Bryston BDA-2 -> getting new Topping D90 instead

Would have bought Revel M16 instead of KEF LS50, but that ship had sailed already and I was happy enough with KEFs to not sell them.

gvl

Major Contributor
Too many to list, some names I probably don't know and never will now.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because of ASR I have not bought:
  • A tube preamp or buffer stage (which I was thinking of trying out)
  • A phono preamp for a Technics SL-7 turntable I'd bought shortly before becoming active here
  • A Bryston 2.5B3 power amp (awesome but so expensive)
  • A Benchmark AHB2 power amp (same situation as the Bryston)
Instead, I'm preparing to sell the turntable (even though I'm sad to do so, as it's an awesome piece of kit). And I bought a Purifi-based amp, giving me audibly identical performance while saving about $1800 and $3000 compared to the Benchmark and Bryston, respectively.

Thanks Amir!

Paul Take

For the time being, did not buy:

Topping A90
Topping D90
SMSL M400

because I already own:
SMSL SU-8 V2
THX AAA 789

and been convinced, as a result of reading this forum that because of the high SINADs and the low distortion and noise way below audibility of the SU-8 and the 789, it is unlikely that there will be any audible improvements.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A big system of expensive components and such. A pd audio stack. Separate components. Just went class d integrated jblm

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR blew up a lot of Class D amps for me. Particularly Devialet and Lyngdorf. ASR also utterly dymystified DACS for me, convincing me decisively that nothing--and I mean nothing at all--distinguishes an $8k dac with a Sinad of 115 db from a $100 dac with the same.

Last edited:

snapcrackle

Because of ASR I have not bought:
  • A tube preamp or buffer stage (which I was thinking of trying out)

Thanks Amir!

I personally think you 'should' at least try things out and don't rely on measurements alone - perhaps this review of the D90 will make you think about not just taking the linear approach to choosing audio components ... you really must listen for yourself.

smallcaps

Tube amps, mostly... although as objects they are pretty... just can't get over their performance measures.

snapcrackle

Snapcrackle's comments remind me of certain customers who, when I used to repair tube gear, wouldn't allow me to verify my repairs with an oscilloscope in case I somehow measured the magic out of their amp/preamp

I'm just saying there's various points of view - but you need to try all options.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the time being, did not buy:

Topping A90
Topping D90
SMSL M400

because I already own:
SMSL SU-8 V2
THX AAA 789

and been convinced, as a result of reading this forum that because of the high SINADs and the low distortion and noise way below audibility of the SU-8 and the 789, it is unlikely that there will be any audible improvements.
You will break down and buy the A90, it is just a matter of time...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'm just saying there's various points of view - but you need to try all options.
Choosing a DAC is a system configuration issue. It is not about sound. Optimizing your choice for specs, connections and features is just that.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
ASR has certainly helped me feel free from the urge to try boutique DACs and to simply embrace what I know; companies such as SMSL produce really competent DACs that I can afford and I am not missing out at all.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
This site poses a different problem for me: Items I Now Want to Purchase as a Result of ASR (But Have No Need For) -- top on that list, RME ADI-2 FS...

Me 3 !!! :D:p

But I'm looking at the next iteration of the DX7 Pro incorporating improvements to its headphone amp section considering how good the L30 and A90 amps measure. Since the amp section is really the only part of the DX7Pro not quite up to what I'm looking for in a DAC Headphone Amp.

REK2575

The DX7 Pro is very tempting to me as well -- especially at about half the cost of the also-coveted RME ADI-2 (though without the RME's powerful amp).

Problem is, I have no need for them! ...though "need" is so often beside the point when it comes to audio equipment...

jhm

Forum Donor
I didn't buy a Chord Qutest and ended up buying a Topping D90 which I'd never heard of before.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. No you don't. The entire audition thing is just BS, along with almost all of the review crowd. Disinformation. FUD. Circle of confusion. Chances of you hearing accurately are extremely low.

Top Bottom