• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer A800 Stereo Amplifier Review

ezra_s

Forum Donor
so I bit the bullet, bought this to play around at home.

Will probably connect to it in two ways:
moon 220i integrated - pre-out -> behringer a800 -> buchardt s400
moon 220i integrated - speaker out -> kef q150
rme adi-2 dac - xlr out -> behringer a800 -> buchardt s400

just hope I dont blow my ears :p

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please report back what you think about it.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Please report back what you think about it.

Well first impressions have been very good, I expected much worse. And they seem to have enough juice to handle the Buchard s400 easily, so much that I think they are sounding now like I expected in the first place, precise bass, pristine good highs, letting me realize I should use them in a much larger room :p, my first impression also is that highs are more precise now than when the speakers were connected to my moon 220i integrated, but as I have been taught here it could be my imagination.

For the price and not getting in the way of the RME too much (adding distortion and such) and at the volume level I will use, and at 179€.. I think it is a great deal.

As mentioned earlier, RME ADI-2 is acting as DAC + preamp and I am using XLR outputs in it to connect to the berhringer. To connect the behringer to the buchardt s400 I am using wires of 4mm and banana plugs.

Will add more detail later when I use this for longer, but overall first impression is great for the price.

ThsM

Finally, I pulled the trigger on a used one on ebay for 120€. The A800 arrived yesterday. I was a positively surprised about the build quality of such a cheap unit.

In the evening, I hooked it up to my Q Acoustics Concept 20 and the analog out of my CCA. I listened to a few songs on Deezer (just premium, not hifi). To me, it sounded very clear with a good sound stage. The Q A's are normally driven by a SMSL SA300, which I realy like. The A800 sounded also good, but I like the sound of the SMSL ever so slightly better (even I know, this is fully subjective).

Anyway, I don't regret buying the A800.

Next, I will try how it compares to my other small digital amp connected to my TV. As I think the other amp sounds a bit "thin", the A800 should be an improvement.

Last edited:

Thorskin

After years of use, the 602mk2 tweeters may have mellowed as the mk1 versions did, but I remember the tweeter being rather 'hot' in quality. A smoother 'NAD-esque' power amp may subjectively suit better I reckon.
I decided to get the a800 after all, its out of stock but will ship in about a month.
IF the a800 is too surgical and exact for my 602s2 speakers, how would I smooth the sound out?
EQ?
Its going to be hooked up to a Windows PC so im sure there is tons of software to alter the sound without getting something like a minidsp
If someone can point me in the correct direction I would appriciate it, thanks.

Biblob

I decided to get the a800 after all, its out of stock but will ship in about a month.
IF the a800 is too surgical and exact for my 602s2 speakers, how would I smooth the sound out?
EQ?
Its going to be hooked up to a Windows PC so im sure there is tons of software to alter the sound without getting something like a minidsp
If someone can point me in the correct direction I would appriciate it, thanks.
The A800 won't sound 'surgical'. This is completely made up thing, because amplifiers don't have a 'sound'. This amp has relatively good performance and plenty of power.

If you don't like the sound it will be a combination of what you think you hear and what the speakers radiate in your room/at your listening position.

If you'd like to alter the sound, you can use digital EQ, via various tools. If you use Windows the free application EqualizerAPO will give you plenty of possibilities. The most effective tool would be to measure what the frequency response is at your listening position. That way you'll see what stands out and needs tinkering.

The most effective results will be from using software as Dirac, Acourate or Audiolense. But those you'll need to buy. Using the combination of REW, Rephase you can make your own filters for free, which you can then load into EqualizerAPO. A less sophisticated way than using the integrated solutions, but that can still lead to good results.

Look around for details on using Room EQ on this forum or the articles from @mitchco , because there are some important guidelines regarding using this.

jagercola

Can anyone with the American version of the a800 share a picture of their circuit board with me? Particularly around JP1 between the two tall black caps near the power input. I’ve got a 240v version and want to convert to 120v. Based on previous models, I think I need to jump JP1 and change the fuse. On my euro board, it’s not jumped.
Thanks in advance!

DF4D85E9-E4CA-4F48-9572-26A4367F6E54.jpeg

Attachments

• 5BEFC53B-AF58-4AF7-A6ED-4D7A0ADEE5AA.jpeg
    5BEFC53B-AF58-4AF7-A6ED-4D7A0ADEE5AA.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

JeffGB

Hi.
I had to sign up to tell you that you want to stay away from the Behringer U-Phoria.
Although the measurements are somewhat good it has its "issues".

First of all the max. output level is very low much lower than other devices.
Second it will compress the output signal.
Third the output will be muddy and lifeless all over, highs, mids, lows you name it.

If you compare it to the inbuilt soundcard of a 370 EUR HP laptop (Realtek ALC 3227) the laptop soundcard will have at least 3 times the clarity, punch, liveliness, ... at the same output level.
Sad but true.

I have been shocked when I compared the 2 against each other.
The difference is HUGE.
Better stay away.

EDIT:
The Behringer A800 is nothing short of amazing for the price.
Sorry for responding to such an old post, but this hit a nerve for me. I have a Behringer U-Phoria series DAC (umc404HD) and agree 100% with your comments. I have many DACs including the Apple dongle, and believe me when I say, even the Apple dongle has better sound. Ok, I get that this is subjective, but my subjective impressions have been identical to what has just been described. It sounds as though the dynamics are severely limited, and the bass has little impact and no "excitement". It just sounds thin and bland. I would like to learn more about what makes one DAC sound different from another, but I also realize this is not the point of this site and I appreciate that.

A800

Sorry for responding to such an old post, but this hit a nerve for me. I have a Behringer U-Phoria series DAC (umc404HD) and agree 100% with your comments. I have many DACs including the Apple dongle, and believe me when I say, even the Apple dongle has better sound. Ok, I get that this is subjective, but my subjective impressions have been identical to what has just been described. It sounds as though the dynamics are severely limited, and the bass has little impact and no "excitement". It just sounds thin and bland. I would like to learn more about what makes one DAC sound different from another, but I also realize this is not the point of this site and I appreciate that.

Thank you.
Much appreciated.

1roger

but I also realize this is not the point of this site and I appreciate that.

yes. tons of silly individuals on here who frown upon people discussing sound on an audio site. quite ridiculous

eduardw

Forum Donor
Hi, I’m new to the forum.

My amplifier of 20 years amp just died on me the Sony T-an 9000es. Now I'm looking for 7 channels of amplification for my home theater. Should I invest in 4 of these A800 or go for a multichannel amp like the IOTAVX AVXP1. Going for the Behringer is a bit cheaper but also the AVXP1 won’t break the bank.

Other suggestions are welcome.

I live in the Netherlands.

@amirm thanks for you work on measuring a lot of equipment. Because of your measurement I bought the topping D90 a couple of month ago.

hansik

I live in neighbouring Belgium but doesn't matter.
I would definitely go for the Behringers, only because it's class D (and sounds great). Much less heat and power consumption. Oh and weight.
I have known the times when I was proud of my 30kg power amps. Now I'm laughing at it.

Alternatively if you have doubts, go for the Behringers for surround and Ncore AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC for LCR? I have both and they're both great.

ferrellms

I have the Behringer UC204HD and I can hear no coloration from it. The bass has a ton of excitement and lots of impact. It is great and inexpensive.

eduardw

Forum Donor
I live in neighbouring Belgium but doesn't matter.
I would definitely go for the Behringers, only because it's class D (and sounds great). Much less heat and power consumption. Oh and weight.
I have known the times when I was proud of my 30kg power amps. Now I'm laughing at it.

Alternatively if you have doubts, go for the Behringers for surround and Ncore AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC for LCR? I have both and they're both great.

Hi Hansik
Thanks for pointing to audiophonic. I was allready looking at audiophoninc for my main channels (purifi) forgot about them for the surround channels. Thanks.

hansik

Hi Hansik
Thanks for pointing to audiophonic. I was allready looking at audiophoninc for my main channels (purifi) forgot about them for the surround channels. Thanks.
Me too, I have been looking at Purifi for the mains. As well as Ice edge 1200. Purify should be best, but I wonder if one will hear the difference. I can only say the Behringers are incredibly good for the money and for once in a lifetime, they're cheaper in Europe as in the US. I bought mine for 151 euros, and sold my heavy class AB amps.

Niklasmagnus

Anyone notice difference in spl level between the two channels? I have two amp’s and one of them are differing about 3 dB when gain knobs are set the same. I haven’t done a deep troubleshooting yet but with the prior amp (crown) I had no issue.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone notice difference in spl level between the two channels? I have two amp’s and one of them are differing about 3 dB when gain knobs are set the same. I haven’t done a deep troubleshooting yet but with the prior amp (crown) I had no issue.
Not surprised, as those small pots don't have any great consistency, but then they don't have to. In an amplifier like the A800, as for the A500 before it, the pots are there for convenience in setting up levels, not as an operational volume control. It therefore doesn't matter what the actual physical position of the knob is, just as long as one can set the gains to what's required.

I accept it would be nice if they did track, and I'm sure you can find examples of the A800 where tracking is near perfect, it's just random, some you win and some you don't. It would cost a lot more to provide pots that match as they would either have to be of much higher specification or be factory-matched, neither solution is attractive when for the intended application it doesn't matter.

A wise person at Philips once remarked to me that quality is fitness for purpose. Once that's done, anything more is unnecessary.

S.

Niklasmagnus

Not surprised, as those small pots don't have any great consistency, but then they don't have to. In an amplifier like the A800, as for the A500 before it, the pots are there for convenience in setting up levels, not as an operational volume control. It therefore doesn't matter what the actual physical position of the knob is, just as long as one can set the gains to what's required.

I accept it would be nice if they did track, and I'm sure you can find examples of the A800 where tracking is near perfect, it's just random, some you win and some you don't. It would cost a lot more to provide pots that match as they would either have to be of much higher specification or be factory-matched, neither solution is attractive when for the intended application it doesn't matter.

A wise person at Philips once remarked to me that quality is fitness for purpose. Once that's done, anything more is unnecessary.

S.

Okey, thanks for clarification. Then I will just leave them at whatever the spl levels are matching.

Pjetrof

S.
Do you mean Behringer a800 is good quality?

Top Bottom