• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Joe N Tell HI Fi Summit Digital Trade Show - What do you think?

snapsc

I'm not sure how I feel about an on line trade show.....but....it looks like Joe N Tell has brought his on line digital trade show idea to life. It seems like this might be an interesting idea given that the "live" shows are on hold for a while.

There is a growing list of exhibitors and with the offering of product discounts, product seminars, etc....maybe even more interesting.

It looks like if you sign up before tomorrow, the price is only $24 for the five day show...which if you find the right deal on something you are interested in, could be money well spent.

Here is a link to his youtube announcement

Here is a link the the show site and current exhibitor list

What do you think?

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not sure how I feel about an on line trade show.....but....it looks like Joe N Tell has brought his on line digital trade show idea to life. It seems like this might be an interesting idea given that the "live" shows are on hold for a while.

There is a growing list of exhibitors and with the offering of product discounts, product seminars, etc....maybe even more interesting.

It looks like if you sign up before tomorrow, the price is only $24 for the five day show...which if you find the right deal on something you are interested in, could be money well spent.

Here is a link to his youtube announcement

Here is a link the the show site and current exhibitor list

What do you think?
I give him credit for following through. It'll be interesting to see how this translates without the direct sound factor, plus I know I'm exceptionally weary of online presentations from my daily work at this point.

Maybe it'll depend on what sort of deals can be had. What is normal at a show like this for say a vendor like an SVS or Kali?

OP
snapsc

snapsc

I'd say that the normal is that there is none. Some vendors offer no discounts relative to the show they participate in. Some offer to sell the merchandise the brought at a discount rather than ship back home. Others hand out coupons...maybe 10%. Still others have discounts of 10-15% on their websites.

This is new territory so I guess we will have to see. My understanding though is that if you don't have a ticket to the show, you won't know what the product discounts are. And, maybe less important, you won't be illegible for any of the raffles they have.

Irrespective of all of the above...its probably worth a shot to see what it is all about.

audiophile

Great idea and I wanted to support it, so I've got myself a ticket. Hope everything goes as planned

joentell

Reviewer
I'd say that the normal is that there is none. Some vendors offer no discounts relative to the show they participate in. Some offer to sell the merchandise the brought at a discount rather than ship back home. Others hand out coupons...maybe 10%. Still others have discounts of 10-15% on their websites.

This is new territory so I guess we will have to see. My understanding though is that if you don't have a ticket to the show, you won't know what the product discounts are. And, maybe less important, you won't be illegible for any of the raffles they have.

Irrespective of all of the above...its probably worth a shot to see what it is all about.

I'm not on forums very much but I saw this when doing a Google search for "The Hi-Fi Summit". If you have any questions, it makes it easier for me if you contact me on my channels: YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, email.

Many companies can't offer discounts because if they have a universal pricing structure it gets tricky to offer a discount at a show. Some can though.

We are requiring all the companies doing giveaways to extend the date till after the show is over. After that, the site is open to everyone so everyone can enter the giveaways.

Buying a ticket ensures that you're first to see everything, and can participate in some live discussion during the event. Even the seminars will be streamed live across a few of our YouTube channels.

I wanted to make sure there was a social aspect to it and more than just a live stream. I'm sure there are a million things I could do better, and I wish I had time to do all of it, but this is in response to the COVID-19 stuff so I gave myself a short time-frame to put this together. I'm just doing best. Thank you all for your support.

Colonel7

I'm not on forums very much but I saw this when doing a Google search for "The Hi-Fi Summit". If you have any questions, it makes it easier for me if you contact me on my channels: YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, email.

Many companies can't offer discounts because if they have a universal pricing structure it gets tricky to offer a discount at a show. Some can though.

We are requiring all the companies doing giveaways to extend the date till after the show is over. After that, the site is open to everyone so everyone can enter the giveaways.

Buying a ticket ensures that you're first to see everything, and can participate in some live discussion during the event. Even the seminars will be streamed live across a few of our YouTube channels.

I wanted to make sure there was a social aspect to it and more than just a live stream. I'm sure there are a million things I could do better, and I wish I had time to do all of it, but this is in response to the COVID-19 stuff so I gave myself a short time-frame to put this together. I'm just doing best. Thank you all for your support.
Lesson learned - meh. Wouldn't have paid if I knew I could get everything for free and could do it at my leisure to boot.

joentell

Reviewer
Lesson learned - meh. Wouldn't have paid if I knew I could get everything for free and could do it at my leisure to boot.
You're welcome to request a refund if you'd like. I'll make sure you get it ASAP. My goal is to make sure visitors are satisfied. If you are already regretting it prior to the event, then let me know before the event begins.

I've made it a point to create a social aspect to the event that makes being an attendee a different experience. We'll see how it plays out. Right now no one knows for sure. Currently, the lobby is open to the public just so people can see it prior. During the event, it will only be for attendees to discuss new products being released, show specials, giveaways, thoughts, advice etc.

Also, only attendees will be able to vote for best-in-show products.

Because the companies will be keeping a close watch on their pages during the event, they're more likely to respond quickly to questions about their brand or product.

But yeah, this has been a ton of work and I want attendees and exhibitors to get their money's worth. If you want free, just wait till July 1st. You're welcome.

Colonel7

You're welcome to request a refund if you'd like. I'll make sure you get it ASAP. My goal is to make sure visitors are satisfied.
Thanks for the reply Joe. Appreciate you coming back and making the offer. You've convinced me I should let it ride and try to participate over the course of the event. Good luck and I hope it succeeds

ta240

Major Contributor
I wish him the best with it. Innovation is what we need in times like this.

I remember not that long ago him streaming from audio shows and the exhibitors looking at him like he was a bit crazy so it is nice to see so many companies adapting to changing times.

Nice idea having the free viewing later since I just enjoy looking but have to intention to buy right now there is no reason for me to clog up the system while people that are really interested both as customers and resellers look and interact.

joentell

Reviewer
Thanks for the reply Joe. Appreciate you coming back and making the offer. You've convinced me I should let it ride and try to participate over the course of the event. Good luck and I hope it succeeds

I remember not that long ago him streaming from audio shows and the exhibitors looking at him like he was a bit crazy so it is nice to see so many companies adapting to changing times.

They did look at me like I was nuts...until I told them I had 100 people watching the live stream while they were there presenting for 5 people in their room. :)

joentell

Reviewer
I got you! Trust me, I also don't know what to expect. LOL. I know what I hope will happen, but we won't know for sure until it happens. So far, there are aspects that went better than I had hoped, some not as well, and some that happened exactly like I thought.

I'm just trying my best over here. Lots of things to juggle and I'm just appreciative of the support I'm receiving from the audio community. So thank you for your trust in me.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I think anyone doing things to get the wheels of commerce moving again in a safe way should be commended. Good luck with it, I hope all parties get something from it.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Axpona version was a near disaster. Format was wrong. Organizers didn't take the show seriously. Presenters didn't take the show seriously. And seemingly the audience was the same seeing how few showed up. Hope you watch what you did and avoid their mishaps. From early look at your website, it seems you are doing better.

I am not clear on charging so much for attendees though. If people don't show up, it will be a serious issue. I would just charge the industry for exhibiting and then charge people either nothing, or $5. I know I am too cheap to pay to get in. :) I am concerned about too little value to pay up front and take the risk.

I was also surprised to see Press fees even higher than non-press. Press usually gets a free pass at shows. Maybe you consider them your competition so you want them to pay???

joentell

Reviewer
The Axpona version was a near disaster. Format was wrong. Organizers didn't take the show seriously. Presenters didn't take the show seriously. And seemingly the audience was the same seeing how few showed up. Hope you watch what you did and avoid their mishaps. From early look at your website, it seems you are doing better.

I am not clear on charging so much for attendees though. If people don't show up, it will be a serious issue. I would just charge the industry for exhibiting and then charge people either nothing, or $5. I know I am too cheap to pay to get in. :) I am concerned about too little value to pay up front and take the risk.

I was also surprised to see Press fees even higher than non-press. Press usually gets a free pass at shows. Maybe you consider them your competition so you want them to pay???

I couldn't really watch for very long because I'm busy working on my event. I'll let others critique those events. My job is to focus on my event.

It's free after July 1st. I explained in the previous post all the benefits I've planned for attendees of the show.

There are also downsides to free. One is that the "attendees" aren't as qualified. When there's tens of thousands of dollars worth of products being given away, there's going to be a handful of people who are there just for free stuff...even people who couldn't care less about audio products. Go around and ask random people on the street if they want to buy a DAC for $5 versus if you tell them it's free. The difference between charging something versus nothing is huge; even $1.

There have been lots of people willing to "take a risk" with me because they know me, and they see the effort I'm putting in. If you think someone who has paid $24 for the early bird rate is a risky proposition, then consider my risk. My reputation is on the line. I take that responsibility. And because I have accepted money from these people, they expect something in return and I plan on delivering. If it was free, I might be inclined to think "well, oh well, you didn't pay so, I don't really owe anyone anything." Same for the money paid by sponsors. I promised them a return on their investment. Also, I want them to exhibit with me in the future, so I have to deliver.

If you couldn't afford the $24 early bird rate, the $34 current rate, or the $55 press rate, then maybe hold off on buying more testing gear. I hear that Klippel is pretty expensive. ;-)

The reason I chose $24 for early bird specials is that I looked at the price for a traditional trade show. I've been at shows where parking was $18 a day. Taking into account food, travel, and hotel if you flew in, you're spending more than $24 for a normal event. Here are the prices from RMAF:
Prices:
$40 for a 3 day pass
$30 for a 2 day pass
$20 for a 1 day pass
Now add $18 for each day for parking.

Press is a higher rate because they have 2 extra days to browse around. The price per day is the same. They get access to press kits and private contact info specified by each company. I have to create specific content just for them that general attendees cannot access. That's a lot of extra work. For press/media/B2B, I have to get things done 2 days earlier on an already tight schedule.

I don't look at other press and media as my competitors. Do you? My stance is we need more people covering audio, not less.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I nearly brought a ticket just for the techno dad sets :D but I'm saving for a specific piece of gear right now (even going without beer) so had to pass. I hope it all goes off without a hitch.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you couldn't afford the $24 early bird rate, the $34 current rate, or the $55 press rate, then maybe hold off on buying more testing gear. I hear that Klippel is pretty expensive. ;-)
I know the value of Klippel. I don't the value of an online show. It could all be infomercials. You are charging similar amount to a real show. The value they provide is far higher.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There are also downsides to free. One is that the "attendees" aren't as qualified. When there's tens of thousands of dollars worth of products being given away, there's going to be a handful of people who are there just for free stuff...
Then sell raffle tickets for drawings. Many of us put little value on such things. We want information. That is the most valuable thing.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I couldn't really watch for very long because I'm busy working on my event. I'll let others critique those events. My job is to focus on my event.
??? Your job is to know what your competition is doing so you can do better. When I was at Microsoft, I changed my home page to our competitor's so I would know every morning exactly what they announced and what it meant for us.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There have been lots of people willing to "take a risk" with me because they know me, and they see the effort I'm putting in. If you think someone who has paid $24 for the early bird rate is a risky proposition, then consider my risk. My reputation is on the line. I take that responsibility. And because I have accepted money from these people, they expect something in return and I plan on delivering. If it was free, I might be inclined to think "well, oh well, you didn't pay so, I don't really owe anyone anything." Same for the money paid by sponsors. I promised them a return on their investment. Also, I want them to exhibit with me in the future, so I have to deliver.
??? You didn't charge exhibitors so don't think about delivering for them?

But yes, you better deliver after charging them this much.

Top Bottom