• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 Speaker Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 two-way speaker. It was kindly sent to me by a member. It costs about US $250 for a single which is quite high for such a small speaker (owner says he paid a lot less though). But this is from a name brand company so maybe it is worth the premium.

There is nothing square about this speaker:

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 bookshelf home theater speaker review.jpg

A L-shaped cheap plastic grill covered the front drivers and passive radiator on top:

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 bookshelf home theater speaker passive radiator review.jpg

No, that is not a hair from our white dogs on the right. It is a strand of glue or something. Left it in there just in case it was put in there intentionally!!!

Back panel shows the high recessed binding posts which were difficult to use:

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 bookshelf home theater speaker rear panel binding posts ...jpg

It made it difficult to terminate with bare wires I use to reduce interference with the measurement system.

There is a triangular footer underneath so I removed it for testing. Glad I ran a sweep through it as the speaker literally started to jump up and down and walk away! So had to put it back on to stabilize it. This also prompted me to not test it above 86 dB SPL as you see later in the review.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I used over 800 measurement point which still was not quite enough to estimate the soundfield given the resonance/interference at the highest frequencies. Still, error is near 1% so certainly good enough for what we want.

Spinorama Audio Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker can be used. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 bookshelf home theater speaker CEA 2034 Spinorama Freque...png

This is one of the more unique responses we have seen so far. Bass response slopes down for a while before dropping rapidly. This reduces the available bass energy between 40 and 120 Hz. In addition, bass is clearly at lower amplitude than the rest of the spectrum. We also have some severe resonance/interference going on at 14 kHz (end of the graph). Importantly, the directivity plot (dashed blue, bottom) shows a sudden kink indicating that the tweeter's radiation pattern is not well matched to that the woofer. This makes the off-axis response different than direct which is not a good thing.

We see that more in this set of graphs of early reflections:

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 bookshelf home theater speaker CEA 2034 Spinorama Early ...png

Putting on-axis and reflections together gives us a predicted in-room response for an average domestic space:

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 bookshelf home theater speaker CEA 2034 Spinorama Predic...png

This indicates too much highs and too little lows potentially.

The slow roll off for the bass seems to be helping with the distortion there:
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 bookshelf home theater speaker distortion THD measurements.png

But then again we have peaks in higher frequencies we don't like to see:

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 bookshelf home theater speaker Relative distortion THD m...png

My limit for anything above 500 Hz is 0.5% and we are well above that here.

Note that these are at 86 dB SPL because I was afraid of running them at typical 96 dB SPL so keep that in mind when comparing to other speakers.

Directivity plots show what we already know:

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 bookshelf home theater speaker Directivity Horizontal me...png

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 bookshelf home theater speaker Directivity Vertical meas...png

There is a null when you get above tweeter axis around 5 kHz so you should sit at or lower than tweeter axis.

Finally, here is our CSD/waterfall graph:

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 bookshelf home theater speaker CSD waterfall measurements.png

PS. Forgot the impedance graph:
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 bookshelf home theater speaker impedance and phase measu...png

Speaker Listening Tests
This speaker just sounds annoying. Lack of deep bass makes it sound tubby (shallow bass response). At the same time, the highs are exaggerated and not clean to boot. I took one quick shot at equalizing but gave up.

On the plus side, lack of deep bass allows you to turn it up higher assuming your ears can take the highs. Mine could not.

To make sure I was not in a lousy "bad sound mood," I replaced the ProMonitor 1000 with the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speaker. Wow, what revelation! The Pioneer sounded like a reference grade speaker compared to the Definitive Tech. It sounded warm, balanced, and clean. And they retail for US $118 for a pair or four times less than the Definitive Tech 1000.

Conclusions
This is an expensive speaker at $500 pair that sadly doesn't objectively or subjectively produce good results. I am not sure what they were aiming for. It is also too expensive in this day age. It is just a bad experiment that should be forgotten. Let's hope their larger tower speakers are better than this.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000. There is nothing "Pro" about it.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Get this: one of the panthers heard on TV that local hair salons have opened up and is insisting on getting his hair dyed green! Green!!! I have learned to not argue with animals with larger teeth than me so I am going to have to take him there. They want a ton of money to dye his hair due to "dangers" involved. Appreciate any money you can donate toward this cause using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000.zip
    86.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting, is it because of that strand of hair though :)

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ooops. Might be a nice audiophile speaker for sighted auditions - more "looks" than anything else...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I sold Definitive Technology for awhile. We dumped the line because it was just not competing in the sound rooms and it was gimicky.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Headless panther, jagged graphs, not so good.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Why is there a screw in the passive radiator on top?
I wondered that as well. My guess it has something to do with adding mass to the radiator as it is small in diameter based on the paired woofer.

By the way I had a pair around for some tests. They sounded exactly like Amir measured. I did not care much for them at all, they certainly would be better coupled with a subwoofer, which I am certain Deff Tech expects the buyer to be doing.

Of note is that at a higher volume the tripod vibrated against the speaker body and that sounded real bad. Terrible idea to use that tripod.

Anyway would love to see a Deff Tech D11 in here. That one gets high subjective reviews and is pretty looking as well.

Laederofmen

The ununiformed rear of the cabinet appears to be a poor example of plastic molded injection (am I seeing this right?). The price per pair is incredibly disappointing.

Primare Knob

Looking at the design choices made with the recessed speaker terminals and the big screw in terminal at the back, they seem to be meant to be fixed onto a wall.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Looking at the design choices made with the recessed speaker terminals and the big screw in terminal at the back, they seem to be meant to be fixed onto a wall.
They Deff are wall mount able.
Very much lifestyle speakers in that regard they measure fine enough and look fine enough so thus they have been selling well for about 10 years.
They do go on sale often & I believe Deff Tech has full surround packages at discount that include these.
In any case Deff not my jam .

Puska

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 two-way speaker. I purchase this from Amazon a few months ago. It costs about US $250 for a single which is quite high for such a small speaker. But this is from a name brand company so maybe it is worth the premium.

There is nothing square about this speaker:

View attachment 69757

A L-shaped cheap plastic grill covered the front drivers and passive radiator on top:

View attachment 69758

No, that is not a hair from our white dogs on the right. It is a strand of glue or something. Left it in there just in case it was put in there intentionally!!!

Back panel shows the high recessed binding posts which were difficult to use:

View attachment 69759

It made it difficult to terminate with bare wires I use to reduce interference with the measurement system.

There is a triangular footer underneath so I removed it for testing. Glad I ran a sweep through it as the speaker literally started to jump up and down and walk away! So had to put it back on to stabilize it. This also prompted me to not test it above 86 dB SPL as you see later in the review.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I used over 800 measurement point which still was not quite enough to estimate the soundfield given the resonance/interference at the highest frequencies. Still, error is near 1% so certainly good enough for what we want.

Spinorama Audio Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker can be used. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 69760

This is one of the more unique responses we have seen so far. Bass response slopes down for a while before dropping rapidly. This reduces the available bass energy between 40 and 120 Hz. In addition, bass is clearly at lower amplitude than the rest of the spectrum. We also have some severe resonance/interference going on at 14 kHz (end of the graph). Importantly, the directivity plot (dashed blue, bottom) shows a sudden kink indicating that the tweeter's radiation pattern is not well matched to that the woofer. This makes the off-axis response different than direct which is not a good thing.

We see that more in this set of graphs of early reflections:

View attachment 69761

Putting on-axis and reflections together gives us a predicted in-room response for an average domestic space:

View attachment 69762

This indicates too much highs and too little lows potentially.

The slow roll off for the bass seems to be helping with the distortion there:
View attachment 69763

But then again we have peaks in higher frequencies we don't like to see:

View attachment 69764

My limit for anything above 500 Hz is 0.5% and we are well above that here.

Note that these are at 86 dB SPL because I was afraid of running them at typical 96 dB SPL so keep that in mind when comparing to other speakers.

Directivity plots show what we already know:

View attachment 69765

View attachment 69766

There is a null when you get above tweeter axis around 5 kHz so you should sit at or lower than tweeter axis.

Finally, here is our CSD/waterfall graph:

View attachment 69767

PS. Forgot the impedance graph:
View attachment 69786

Speaker Listening Tests
This speaker just sounds annoying. Lack of deep bass makes it sound tubby (shallow bass response). At the same time, the highs are exaggerated and not clean to boot. I took one quick shot at equalizing but gave up.

On the plus side, lack of deep bass allows you to turn it up higher assuming your ears can take the highs. Mine could not.

To make sure I was not in a lousy "bad sound mood," I replaced the ProMonitor 1000 with the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speaker. Wow, what revelation! The Pioneer sounded like a reference grade speaker compared to the Definitive Tech. It sounded warm, balanced, and clean. And they retail for US $118 for a pair or four times less than the Definitive Tech 1000.

Conclusions
This is an expensive speaker at $500 pair that sadly doesn't objectively or subjectively produce good results. I am not sure what they were aiming for. It is also too expensive in this day age. It is just a bad experiment that should be forgotten. Let's hope their larger tower speakers are better than this.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000. There is nothing "Pro" about it.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Get this: one of the panthers heard on TV that local hair salons have opened up and is insisting on getting his hair dyed green! Green!!! I have learned to not argue with animals with larger teeth than me so I am going to have to take him there. They want a ton of money to dye his hair due to "dangers" involved. Appreciate any money you can donate toward this cause using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Curious, how come you review such a junk in last 3 reviews?
This products does not earn any attention.

Top Bottom