• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arendal sent me CEA 2010 measurements for its 1961 Subwoofer 1S

tonybarrett

In case people are interested. Arendal sent me this in response to request for measurement data:

Certainly we have done CEA-2010 measurements, which is the market standard for a subwoofers maximum SPL levels at a given distortion limit.

Please note, that the current standard states measurements at 1 meter distance, peak measurements. Our measurements are made at 2m, so you can add 6dB to the peak measurement here to compare with others following current standard, although most are still going by 2m measurements.

CEA-2010 also only apply from 20-63 Hz, however for the sake of showing what our products are capable of we have included all the way to 12.5Hz and up to 125Hz.

This is for 1961 Subwoofer 1S:
4ECsAmufv3gHQTb3oO59irs2s

I think you will find this very competitive in the grand scheme of things, our new amp design for the 1961 series has 100% full power down to 10Hz (before internal subsonic kicks in to save the power supply) which frankly is unheard of in the industry.

OP
tonybarrett

tonybarrett

There are experts on ASR and I’m not one of them but reading the discussion of @amirm’s review of the Rythmik L12 there was debate about the best method for measuring subs. CEA 2010 is a standard for doing this, as I (barely) understand it. So it measures output levels at different frequencies that can be reached at a specified distance (2 metres in this case) while maintaining distortion below standard levels. i may be corrected on the details of this but I think that’s the general idea. The https://data-bass.com/#/?_k=i7a5un website carries out its assessments using such measurements but it‘s very Americentric. The Arendal data above are obviously from the manufacturer. I don’t know how much latitude there is for hacking the data to make it look good but in principle, I suppose, it should be standardised.

OP
tonybarrett

tonybarrett

It tells you how loud the sub can get while being without the distortion limits.
Thanks for being more succinct than I. Do you have any view on Arendal’s numbers? I’m thinking to buy a couple of these subs. Thank you

hmt

Looks quite nice for such a small sealed enclosure. I have 2x the 1V. Would be interesting to hear of that ones CEA values.

OP
tonybarrett

tonybarrett

Looks quite nice for such a small sealed enclosure. I have 2x the 1V. Would be interesting to hear of that ones CEA values.
They got back to me in a day with the data. First respondent didn’t Immediately have but said he’d check and they came back to me quickly. I’ll ask him for the 1V if you like or maybe you can drop the company an email so I’m not pestering them too much?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for being more succinct than I. Do you have any view on Arendal’s numbers? I’m thinking to buy a couple of these subs. Thank you
HSU subs have CEA-2010 ratings, but they are 1m peak, so add 3dB compared to 1m peak or 9dB compared to 2m RMS. It looks between their cheapest (~$460) and second cheapest (~$610),

Last edited:
OP
tonybarrett

tonybarrett

HSU subs have CEA-2010 ratings, but they are 1m peak, so add 6dB compared to 1m peak or 9dB compared to 2m RMS. It looks between their cheapest (~$460) and second cheapest (~$610),
Thanks for context. Can’t get Hsu in Europe. And I have to consider enclosure size because of space/spouse limitations. Cheers

Last edited:

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Shouldn’t they include distortion measurements?
Like these

0B4365D6-6114-40FE-A4B7-E497E9A8FFBE.png
10F4094B-2AFD-4C60-A60A-91F3874AF522.png
328271F1-C526-42AB-B74D-2880B70E9B6B.png

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
I guess it would be useful. Is there a ceiling on distortion allowed under CEA 2010 measurements of output?
Haven’t looked into it thoroughly, but judging by these charts there is a ceiling, yes.

And I can see a column of max spl (Red-Right column) with no THD limit, and the left column marked in orange and green with limits.

OP
tonybarrett

tonybarrett

Haven’t looked into it thoroughly, but judging by these charts there is a ceiling, yes.

And I can see a column of max spl (Red-Right column) with no THD limit, and the left column marked in orange and green with limits.
Ok. I’m completely out of my depth now. I’m assuming, maybe incorrectly, that Arendal’s output data at each frequency would have to be at distortion levels below that ceiling to be considered a valid CEA 2010 measure but will defer to anyone with some kind of expertise.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Ok. I’m completely out of my depth now. I’m assuming, maybe incorrectly, that Arendal’s output data at each frequency would have to be at distortion levels below that ceiling to be considered a valid CEA 2010 measure but will defer to anyone with some kind of expertise.

That is a reasonable assumption.

Aerith Gainsborough

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are the harmonic distortion limits from ANSI/CTA-2010-B. The test signals are 1/3 octave band-limited tone bursts from 20-160 Hz. Band 1 is 20-32 Hz, band 2 is 40-63 Hz and band 3 is 80-160 Hz. The center frequencies of the 1/3 octave bands are 20, 25, 32, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, and 160 Hz.

Fig4.JPG

Top Bottom