• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj D5 - Owners' Thread

Xexets

Ah ottimo. Sono italiano anch’io. Mi dispiace per il problema. Temo sia driver e che sia comune a tutti i dac xmos. Oggi ho avuto per la prima volta un problema simile con wasapi e dop... speriamo sistemino con un aggiornamento o magari firmware... mi tieni aggiornato su come ti rispondono?

marcocastro

[QUOTE = "Xexets, post: 405849, membro: 15781"] Ah ottimo. Sono italiano anch'io. Mi dispiace per il problema. Temo sia driver e che sia comune a tutti i dac xmos. Oggi ho avuto per la prima volta un problema simile con wasapi e dop ... speriamo sistemino con un aggiornamento o magari firmware ... mi tieni aggiornato su come ti rispondono? [/ QUOTE]
nI don't think they are the drivers, because the problem is also under Linux

eht

First time post on this forum.

Do you think the D5 would improve the audio for the Sonos Port vs the Port's built-in DAC?

Saxkun

Hello, fisrt time posting here. Sorry if I'm not enterily clear, english is not my native language.
Little over 6 months ago, in november I bought the sabaj d5 and everything was weel, but today I tried to listen to music and the thing wouldn't turn on, Instead the led on the button would blink in white and red again and again.
Does this thing happened to anyone here? is there a soution or am I now the proud owner of a very expensive paperweight?

For clarification, I bought it on amazon and my window of support closed on may 26.
Also, I've tried disconnecting the power cable and pressing the button while plug it in again, same red and white blink.

Any help would be very much aprecciated.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Hello, fisrt time posting here. Sorry if I'm not enterily clear, english is not my native language.
Little over 6 months ago, in november I bought the sabaj d5 and everything was weel, but today I tried to listen to music and the thing wouldn't turn on, Instead the led on the button would blink in white and red again and again.
Does this thing happened to anyone here? is there a soution or am I now the proud owner of a very expensive paperweight?

For clarification, I bought it on amazon and my window of support closed on may 26.
Also, I've tried disconnecting the power cable and pressing the button while plug it in again, same red and white blink.

Any help would be very much aprecciated.

Unfortunately the user manual (http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/services.asp?id=79) does not have a Troubleshooting section. So I'm not sure what the red/white blinking LED is indicating.

Have you tried contacting Sabaj directly? While your unit may not be under warranty they would (hopefully) at least try to help you troubleshoot the issue. And if the unit is dead it's worth trying to go through Amazon even if you're past your support window; you may still be able to get a replacement or refund.

Mr. Olinad

Looks like we have only one member here at the forum that kinda works for Sabaj.
It may be better if you try to contact them.
Everytime I needed I had a chat at Sabaj Official Store on Aliexpress
In this case, even if you get no answer, I'd recommend you to buy the external tool on the link above and try a firmware refresh.
When you connect the tool, even with the D5 turned off and disconnected from any USB port, the screen will turn on for the firmware refresh.
If the problem is firmware related there's a chance you can save it without the need of sending it back to China or somewhere else.

Saxkun

I tried sending them emails and contact them via facebook to no avail, I will try that link to aliexpress and hope for the best. Thank you both so much.

ohtoulouz

Hi!
With firmware 1.6, line output stays at 40 (firmware 1.4 value) when selected. It should jump to 90 (max volume) whatever the SE or BAL output volume, right? Did someone else notice this behaviour? Is it a bug ?
BR,
Pierre

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Hi!
With firmware 1.6, line output stays at 40 (firmware 1.4 value) when selected. It should jump to 90 (max volume) whatever the SE or BAL output volume, right? Did someone else notice this behaviour? Is it a bug ?
BR,
Pierre
No answer for you but questions... Did you received the unit in 1.6v?
Did you flash it? And if yes, how did you get the tool for flashing?

XeNoNF50

Hi!
BR,
Pierre
I received my unit with v1.6. I have choice of 0-90 on volume on each output. The output volume saves, so if I leave SE out at 30 and line out at 40 if I switch between outputs it will remember.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
flashed firmware 1.6 with tool from here: https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000879753082.html. When line output is selected, volume can manually be set to 90 and stays here even if SE or BAL is selected then back to line output. So might not be a problem.
BR,
Pierre

Thanks, during the lockdown it was impossible to order this part. I was wondering if I need it... Ordered.

zym1010

Forum Donor
Hi @peterwen do you know if Sabaj D5 suffers from any thermal instability issues, as SMSL M500 does? in Amir's review, his D5 came with some cooling device on top of the ESS 9038 Pro chip. I opened mine and found NO cooling pad or fan at all. I wonder if my D5 suffered from the same issue as M500. Thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi @peterwen do you know if Sabaj D5 suffers from any thermal instability issues, as SMSL M500 does? in Amir's review, his D5 came with some cooling device on top of the ESS 9038 Pro chip. I opened mine and found NO cooling pad or fan at all. I wonder if my D5 suffered from the same issue as M500. Thanks!
Supposedly, no. There should be no problem.

REK2575

I've had the D5 for over a year, giving it frequent use, and have never encountered any problems with heat. I usually turn it off after use, but I've also absent-mindedly left it on for over 24 hours and the unit has still never been more than slightly warm to the touch. Of course, I've never opened it up to see what's inside, but I have no reason to assume my D5 isn't a typical, run of the mill unit.

zym1010

Forum Donor
I've had the D5 for over a year, giving it frequent use, and have never encountered any problems with heat. I usually turn it off after use, but I've also absent-mindedly left it on for over 24 hours and the unit has still never been more than slightly warm to the touch. Of course, I've never opened it up to see what's inside, but I have no reason to assume my D5 isn't a typical, run of the mill unit.
me too. I have no any practical problem with using my D5 and cannot perceive any sound quality degradation. I just wonder, from the perspective of SINAD and other metrics, whether D5's performance will change with temperature/time.

zym1010

Forum Donor
Supposedly, no. There should be no problem.
Thanks. As explained in the post above, I don't have any practical issue with my D5; I just like to know if D5's performance (maybe non perceivable) will change with temprature/time. Interestingly, back in the time when amir posted his review on D5, Sabaj's website recommended using the device after a 30-min warmup. However, later on, that recommendation got removed for some unknown reason.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Thanks. As explained in the post above, I don't have any practical issue with my D5; I just like to know if D5's performance (maybe non perceivable) will change with temprature/time. Interestingly, back in the time when amir posted his review on D5, Sabaj's website recommended using the device after a 30-min warmup. However, later on, that recommendation got removed for some unknown reason.
Maybe because the unit sent to amir had a heat sink:confused: and because of that needs more time to reach optimal operating temperature. From what i learned over here members who opened theirs didn't see a heat sink.

Top Bottom